CCW Holsters for J-Frame

CCW Holsters for J-Frame

This is a discussion on CCW Holsters for J-Frame within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi folks, I did a search and didnt really see what I needed. So... I have a Smith and Wesson .38 Special Snubby. Nickel plated. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: CCW Holsters for J-Frame

CCW Holsters for J-Frame

Hi folks,

I did a search and didnt really see what I needed. So...

I have a Smith and Wesson .38 Special Snubby. Nickel plated. I sold my Sigma to start a fund raiser for my M&P 40c that I want for CCW. In the mean time I will be carrying my .38. I was wondering what you all that carry this or have carried this recommend for a CCW method. I like IWB, but never carried a revolver like that.

1. Where is best place to buy inexpensive holsters?
    2. What method of CC works best for you with regards to revolvers?
    3. Any inexpensive holster recommendations?

Looking for real world experiences to help guide me to the right buy.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Carrying any handgun has its trade-offs as far as conceal-ability vs. comfort. The J frames are no different. I have carried my Airweight with inside pocket, OWB, and IWB holsters. Now I tend to use the IWB Remora no clip. I slip in in my waste band and it stays put. I can even run with it and it does not move. It can be removed from the waste band easily and reinserted easily and its comfortable to carry with it. Another thing I like about it is if I am carrying and get in my car or truck I can remove it and slip it between the seats and it stays put and keeps the handgun close at hand while driving. The outside material these are constructed with is very grippy. It is the perfect option.....no, but no option is really perfect.

The Official Store of the Original Remora "No Clip" IWB Concealment Holster
    GrandZJ likes this.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

I have several. I like this on from FIST the best. Good turn around time.
    FIST, INC.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

I am liking that Remora. With the Tuckable version and sweat shield mod it seems like a great holster. Perfect for what I need.

Remora Holster for J-Frame Revolvers

Those holsters by FIST INC are fantastic looking holsters. A little more than I wanted to spend though. Might get one for my M&P when it comes in as it will be my primary CC weapon.

A j-frame is a good candidate for pocket carry. A 638 in a DeSantis N3 in the right front pocket works well.
    Mike
    I will rarely post, but will read (and hopefully learn) a lot

Thanks, I will check that out as well

Remora is great. Also check out the N82 holsters. Just got one for my LCR .38 and really like it.

Quote Originally Posted by mcbridebr View Post
    Hi folks,

I did a search and didnt really see what I needed. So...

I have a Smith and Wesson .38 Special Snubby. Nickel plated. I sold my Sigma to start a fund raiser for my M&P 40c that I want for CCW. In the mean time I will be carrying my .38. I was wondering what you all that carry this or have carried this recommend for a CCW method. I like IWB, but never carried a revolver like that.
    1. Where is best place to buy inexpensive holsters?
    2. What method of CC works best for you with regards to revolvers?
    3. Any inexpensive holster recommendations?

Looking for real world experiences to help guide me to the right buy.
    The best IWB holster I have ever used for carrying a J frame IWB is the DeSantis® Cozy Partner™..........

David
    Only two defining forces have ever died for you.....
    1. Jesus Christ.
    2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, Marine, and Coast Guardsman.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom!

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

KSP
    I keep trying to find something fancier that works as well or better, but I have found that an Uncle Mike's Inside the Pocket Size #4 (not 3) works great for my model 36 and 442. It is the smallest, least bulky pocket holster around, it covers the hammer and the trigger, and it stays in the pocket when you draw. It's about 10-15 bucks and you can find them everywhere. A good inexpensive place to start. I have just ordered an RKBA leather pocket holster (42 dollars shipped) and I have very high expectations for it. It looks very well engineered and reviews are very positive. And of course, the Remora is a great do it all holster. It's secure for IWB, and (although a little bulky) it makes a good pocket holster.

Quote Originally Posted by MarineDad View Post
    Remora is great. Also check out the N82 holsters. Just got one for my LCR .38 and really like it.
    Marinedad you dont happen to have any pics of your set up do you both on you and by themselves? That is pretty much the setup I am looking at. Thanks!

My wife carries her S&W 638 in a Remora and she loves it. I've carried it before in the same setup and found it to be comfortable, but I prefer a single stack semi for IWB carry.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Yup.....its great. I carry my S&W Snubbie in a cozy partner also, with a Pachmayer grip. Just love it

clip draw belt clip is the best for the j-frame. i put one on my j-frame many mango seasons ago and took the rubber bands off.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

I bought my first snubbie in 2002. Picked up an IWB Alessi holster at the shop for maybe $15 used. It was from the 80's and still works perfectly. If you desire an Alessi they're still in business but the guy that used to design and make the holsters for Lou moved on and has his own business. His name is Skip and his product is Ritchie Leathers. I bough an IWB in the style of the old Alessi holsters for my PPK brand new for $70. Fits like a glove, you can take off your pants, shake them upside down and the gun stays holstered. I have two from him and 3 or 4 Alessi holsters (jack A$$ and Ankle). I won't really carry any other way.
    Good luck and let us know (with pictures) how you made out. Below is a custom 9mm for my Taurus PT99 made by Ritchie leathers.
    Photo 165.jpg
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by lokin4deer View Post
    Marinedad you dont happen to have any pics of your set up do you both on you and by themselves? That is pretty much the setup I am looking at. Thanks!
    Here are few pictures. Sorry about the quality, but should give you an idea. I'm sure you know, but the Remora is the model with the Full Sweat Shield. I use both in the postion shown in the last picture.

N82 - LCR.jpg

Remora FSS - LCR.jpg

N82 AIWB.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links