Road trip from Texas to Colorado

This is a discussion on Road trip from Texas to Colorado within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'll be traveling to Colorado from Texas, via Oklahoma and Kansas. It's so nice to be able to carry concealed the whole way and have ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By mlr1m
  • 1 Post By GeorgiaDawg
  • 1 Post By paaiyan

Thread: Road trip from Texas to Colorado

VIP Member

Road trip from Texas to Colorado

I'll be traveling to Colorado from Texas, via Oklahoma and Kansas. It's so nice to be able to carry concealed the whole way and have full reciprocity. I've printed out each state's reciprocity information and will be taking that along with me in case I'm stopped by an LEO and need to show that I can legally carry. Anything I should be aware of? I don't plan to actually stay over in OK or KS; just driving straight through to CO.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

2. Remove Ads

You need a new GPS if it is sending you though OK and KS to get to CO from TX.

Enjoy your trip, and stay safe and away from all the fires.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    Can't think of anything you need to know about for CO, other than OC'ing in Denver, but if you only CC, that shouldn't be an issue.

Hope you have a good trip!
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post

Probably wanting to stop in Oklahoma to see a real football team.

Michael
    GeorgiaDawg and KZinOKC like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Probably wanting to stop in Oklahoma to see a real football team.
    If that were the case, it'd take him to the Southeast
    mlr1m likes this.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

For Oklahoma:

Your license is recognized.
    Notify officer if stopped.
    Signs don't matter.
    Carry anywhere but government buildings, schools and where sales of alcohol constitute the primary business of the establishment.
    Castle doctrine applies to vehicles.
    Stand your ground applies anywhere you have a legal right to be and so long as you are not engaged in illegal activities.
    Use of deadly force in defense of others might be iffy, though I believe it's legally justified.
    No open carry (until November 1st).

That's the basics.
    ArmyMan likes this.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post

GPS and Google Maps show two routes, one up 35 to I-70, via OK and KS, the other through New Mexico to Colorado. The first route is faster to Denver.

Both are faster than the route they took in "Lonesome Dove"!
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

In Kansas; the speed limit on I-35 (KS Turnpike), I-135 (except Wichita metro area) and I-70 is 75.

Also 75 on I-70 in eastern Colorado until near Denver.

With a Permit/License, loaded handgun in a vehicle in legal in Kansas.

Loaded handgun in a vehicle is legal in Colorado, with or without a Permit/License. Loaded long gun is prohibited.

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    I go through Kansas to get to Oklahoma and parts of Texas.

Some of the states you mentioned you must notify if stopped. Colorado you do not but never hurts

Watch for gunbuster signs in KS,,,,sometimes they are small.....

You shouldn't have any problems at all thru Kansas. Just don't enter anywhere it's posted 'legally' with the gunbuster sign, and that's the only sign that's legally recognized. It's essentially legal to cc anywhere but Fedl land and the Governor's mansion , unless it's posted with the AG approved signage. Doubt you will run into any. Stop in the towns for restroom stops, not the highway rest stops in the western 1/3rd of Kansas on I-70, especially at night. It's not required to notify if stopped by an LEO, unless they ask.... but most people do inform and the officer's do appreciate it. They are very professional about it and would only tell you thanks for letting them know.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ksthumper View Post
    In Kansas; the speed limit on I-35 (KS Turnpike), I-135 (except Wichita metro area) and I-70 is 75.

Also 75 on I-70 in eastern Colorado until near Denver.

With a Permit/License, loaded handgun in a vehicle in legal in Kansas.

Loaded handgun in a vehicle is legal in Colorado, with or without a Permit/License. Loaded long gun is prohibited.
    The speed limit is 70 on I-35 all through Oklahoma, with the exception of the Oklahoma City area where it slows to 60 (significant as the OK city area is rather large; largest city in the US in area if you don't count multi-county cities).
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

VIP Member
    I want to thank all of you for your comments, suggestions, and thoughts. Just got back to Texas and had no issues at all. Wasn't stopped, carried everywhere, and the best part was that I didn't see a single gun-buster sign anywhere! I was sure that Colorado would be all up-in-arms against arms, but that wasn't the case. I posted elsewhere about my experience in a movie theater in Denver, but no one asked so I didn't tell!

We had a great time in Winter Park and Keystone. Next year we plan to go back and try the route from Texas, through New Mexico, to Colorado, up I-25.
    Ben

Congrats on the safe trip. Glad you didnt have any trouble.

Links