Batman copycat crisis averted... or not?

This is a discussion on Batman copycat crisis averted... or not? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com Synopsis: man walks into batman movie theater alone, sits in the back, and acts strangely enough to alert ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Batman copycat crisis averted... or not?

Batman copycat crisis averted... or not?

Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com

Synopsis: man walks into batman movie theater alone, sits in the back, and acts strangely enough to alert the manager and an off duty cop. The cop searches his bag and finds several knives, a 9mm, and 2 extra loaded magazines. He's arrested, his house gets searched and his other guns get confiscated. Police congratulate themselves for averting a copycat crisis. CNN anchor woman says that "concealed weapons are legal, but not in public places." And apparently while searching his home, they found some prescription medications that would make him ineligible to carry a concealed weapon.

Did they avert a disaster? Or did they jump to conclusions and violate his 2nd amendment rights? This is going to get interesting.

Sounds like a 2nd ammendment violation to me. That CNN reporter needs to be fired as well.

CNN facepalm and arrested for what? If he had a permit

VIP Member
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

It depends ,was he licensed to carry,was the theatre legally posted,Off Duty LEO was probably paid security and in a theatre they reserve the right to inspect any bags you bring in ,If he gave them permission to search his house and car weeeellll.
    Sounds to me like he may of taken it upon himself to play "Guardian",the fact he was discharged after only one month in the Army could be a red flag that he was found unfit to serve for any number of reasons up to and including physical health.,I don't know what kind of Prescription Medication in Ohio makes it illegal to Possess firearms,but on the 4473 it asks if you are the unlawful user of Illegal drugs,or addicted to prescription drugs,just because you take some prescription drugs does not mean you are addicted to them,I think the LEO's are grasping at anything they can.
    I may go to see Batman sometime this week,but I'm gonna make sure they haven't posted the theatre with a legal 30.06 sign first and then will carry my 1911 concealed like usual
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Again, reports indicate this guy was not a CHL holder. Even if he were, the knives could earn him a concealed weapons charge. My jurisdiction in Ohio likes to stack charges, then drop a few of them in exchange for a plea.
    "Pick a ride, any ride, they all go round and round."

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I may go to see Batman sometime this week,but I'm gonna make sure they haven't posted the theatre with a legal 30.06 sign first and then will carry my 1911 concealed like usual
    Well you better try to act "normal", LOL.

Senior Moderator
    Here's another one, from CT: Cops: Man brought gun into movie theater - NewsTimes

The guy had a CT permit and was carrying openly (not against CT law, but generally not well received by the muppets). The cavalry was summoned, the theater cleared, and the guy was arrested. Heaven knows how many lives were saved.
    Jollymann likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

GH
    What worries me is did they have to interrupt the movie? That would be disastrous, lol.

I have a feeling he was just a concerned citizen who was well prepared for an Aurora-type incident. If he was a well-meaning nut he was praying for an incident so he could be the hero.

Moral of the story: If you're carrying don't act "strange".
    Jollymann likes this.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Retired PI/Armed Security
    M&P40, M&P40C

I too wonder what kind of prescription medications would make him ineligible for concealed carry in Ohio?

As far as the case in CT goes, the guy with the gun is a lawyer, and he broke no laws. CT cops may be very confused on the legality of open carry (it's legal, btw), but I'm still at a loss to figure out why they charged him.

I have a strange feeling this fellow knew exactly what he was doing, and did it for a good reason.

Quote Originally Posted by globetruck View Post
    Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com

Synopsis: man walks into batman movie theater alone, sits in the back, and acts strangely enough to alert the manager and an off duty cop. The cop searches his bag and finds several knives, a 9mm, and 2 extra loaded magazines. He's arrested, his house gets searched and his other guns get confiscated. Police congratulate themselves for averting a copycat crisis. CNN anchor woman says that "concealed weapons are legal, but not in public places." And apparently while searching his home, they found some prescription medications that would make him ineligible to carry a concealed weapon.

Did they avert a disaster? Or did they jump to conclusions and violate his 2nd amendment rights? This is going to get interesting.
    It's an absolute violation and it's very obvious! No bones about it! The man was totally within his rights excepting breaking the wrongful statute having to so with needing a license in Ohio for Concealed Carry. Yes many of us have them for practical legal reasons, but they are still part of 2nd Amendment infringement. There was no probable cause, no basis for a search of his person, wrongfully issued warrant for the house search, wrongful property seizure. Furthermore, after the fact, the man had no criminal record. As for the medications, so what? He's taking some pills for back pain. Whatever the statutes are state to state about not being under the influence (As with driving.) no one has to give up rights to be armed or for self-defense over taking small amounts of medicine for pain. That's like saying you can't have Tylenol tablet or take aspirin and drive or carry your gun. That's freaking nonsense, obviously.

Furthermore the cops are intending to glorify themselves and pat themselves on the back as if he's some psyco-killer, when there is absolutely nothing to that unless Mr. Spock is in there giving him a mind-meld and they know something I don't! The TV news is furthermore adding to the police stupidity with their moronic remarks about how "It was unbelievable." and "Who knows what he might of done"? You could say that about anyone packing a weapon, "Who knows what he might do?", and that still doesn't justify arresting them for "future crimes", or non-existent crimes! This is extremely maddening, shameful, and an injustice! It's a lot like what happened in principle with the Statute of Liberty CC incident with the guy from Indiana. Screwed over for no criminal intent, for being armed. A travesty of justice!

D.M. Jolly

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Again, reports indicate this guy was not a CHL holder. Even if he were, the knives could earn him a concealed weapons charge. My jurisdiction in Ohio likes to stack charges, then drop a few of them in exchange for a plea.
    More simple injustice and bad police tactics. These are technicalites used to railroad the guy or someone else. Not having a permit or a license is actually just a technicality. There was no real crime or criminal intention or basis in his back story to suggest there was.

It's just makes me angry, and yes, I'm sure you are right about how they do things. Esentially though any prosecution on concealed weapons charges or really any weapons charges at all, is a corruption with the police. If they honored the Constiution and their oaths then they wouldn't enforce anything like that. A good cop who did that, would simply warn or suggest getting a permit to carry.

DMJ

VIP Member
    This one just doesn't feel right to me, from a LEO perspective.

Yes, if he did not have a valid carry permit, he was violating carry laws, charge him with that. If the knives were a separate violation, charge him with that. But with no evidence or observable criminal intent, why was he arrested? Why were his vehicle and home searched? What *real* P.C. was there to get a judge to sign the search warrant(s)?
    Or, did the subject give consent to search?

Is it possible that a "copy cat massacre" was averted? Sure. Is it probable? I don't think so. I'd love to hear his account, and see the real evidence. Without it, everything is speculation.
    Jollymann likes this.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

The funniest part is his "tactical position"... I go and sit in the back and middle all the time lol

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links