PDO

PDO

This is a discussion on PDO within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Looks like PDO pulled the plug!...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PDO

PDO

Looks like PDO pulled the plug!

????

He is talking about Packing.org.

Sorry my bad..

It was only a matter of time. While I applaud Mark for creating the site, it became quickly outdated and not very well maintained.

The message board became a playground for trolls and antagonists. The rating system became more of a topic than what the site was set up for. It is a shame that it turned out that way, but in the end, I think it will be for the better. There are other sites that are better maintained and monitored (like this one).

Please note that I have no inside information that prompted me to start this thread. I haven't been able to access the site for 3 or 4 days now and I thought that was unusal. This is strictly my take on the situation.

We will see.....
    quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quote Originally Posted by Phantomphixer View Post
    Please note that I have no inside information that prompted me to start this thread. I haven't been able to access the site for 3 or 4 days now and I thought that was unusal. This is strictly my take on the situation.
    i have also often seen it down for a couple days here and there in the past, and I was going to say "eh...just wait a bit, it'll be back". That is a bit of a long stretch, though, ya never know I guess. You'd think though there might be a farewall notice or something if it were so.

yesterday or the day before (i can't remember which), the request was timing out ... today, i almost immediately get a server not found type error. i just blamed it on the .mil firewall, but i guess not.

Mark was never one to waste words on letting people know if the site would be down for maintenance or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantomphixer View Post
    Mark was never one to waste words on letting people know if the site would be down for maintenance or something.
    heh.. that's true, i remember that from the last big outtage and like a week or two later getting an announcement of a change in life and direction, going to be a lot busier and whatnot.

It was a great site at one time. It was very helpful in getting me started with concealed carry. Unfortuneately now the information is dangerousely outdated and every thread becomes a fight about "trolls" and "zero bandits"

RIP - PDO

I would wait at least a week before jumping to any conclusions. The site has had stability problems for a long time.

At the same time I would not be surprised. I, after well over 800 posts there, just posted my sad farwell last week. I finally got completely fed up with the rating system. I recieved about 130 zeros in two weeks, all stemming out of a postion I took on an LEO shooting where I felt the LEO acted incorrectly. I would like to think they were all anti 2A peopel but it was pretty obvious when it started and the type of people carrying it out. Ratings mean nothing in the real world but many new people, not knowing about the rating system, would not know why posts would disappear. The system was a shambles. I sent Mark and email thanking him for his work on the sight and wishing him the best of luck. I also posted my farwell, not blaming Mark and thanking those who had contributed to the site. Since that time a week ago I have been posting here. Perhaps I left at the perfect time...

VIP Member
    Musketeer, I left PDO in April. I had the same issues you did. It seemed some juveniles got involved with multiple screen names & when you rubbed them the wrong way...

I guess the thing that got to me was when I got zeroed for posting quotes from the Founding Fathers. After that, it just wasn't worthwhile trying to wade thru the bad to get the littlest good there.

Sorry to see it go.....
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Reading through the continuous junk, moaning and complaining posted on packing.org got me interested in finding a pleasant and useful site. I found it. This one! Thank you!
    "There is no such thing as too much ammo. Unless you're swimming!"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links