OK... here's something to ponder

This is a discussion on OK... here's something to ponder within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So you're out with some friends. You go see a movie, go to a restaurant, concert, whatever. Afterwards the whole group decides that a bar ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OK... here's something to ponder

OK... here's something to ponder

So you're out with some friends. You go see a movie, go to a restaurant, concert, whatever. Afterwards the whole group decides that a bar visit is a good idea. Here in CA bars are a no no if you got a gun. There is no way for you to stash a weapon anywhere (you didn't drive, it'd be dead giveaway, or something like that) and your friends don't know you're carrying (it's not their business). So what do you do? You try to convince your friends that a bar is a bad idea? You call a cab? you..... ??? do what?

Haven't been presented with a situation like that yet (still waiting for the fingerprints to come back to finish up the paperwork) but I can see it coming up sooner or later. Oh yeah, and lets not dwell on: "would have left it at home ahead of time" as that's not a good answer to this problem.

Thanks

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I don't like bars and have no problem telling my friends I'm not interested in going to a smoke-filled environment with drunks present. Friends will just make a plan B that all can enjoy, or just part in a friendly manner.

There's also plenty of excuses to retire for the evening:

"Those tacos are sure making me feel funny. I don't feel well. I should call a cab and go home."

"My significant other and I have plans tonight."
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Senior Moderator
    I've ran into this situation before. Bars are a no No in Alabama to for CCW's. I simply have told my friends that I can't go becuase I'm carrying. Most of my friends are CCW holders and understand, plus people in Alabama are not shocked (well sometimes)) about someone carrying a gun.

Huzar whn getting your permit and carrying on a regular bases you give up a couple of things. For example I use to go with my buddies to the bar and didn't mind them driving at all in fact I gave them gas money to drive. Now that I have my permit and carry most of the time I always drive and no matter what the situation is my gun is always with me and I am always driving my car. That way if we do decide to go to the bar I will tell my buddies I will catch up in a min and lock my gun up. That was one of the things that I changed. By the way I live in Ohio and going into the bar is a big no no Hope that is kinda what you was looking for

Exactly what elrey718 said above.

Eliminate the situation by driving your own vehicle and meeting your friends wherever the group is going.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT View Post
    Exactly what elrey718 said above.

Eliminate the situation by driving your own vehicle and meeting your friends wherever the group is going.
    I drive 99.9% of the time. Also I don't like unplanned outings: for me things have to be rather organized so the chances of such situation as rather small. Lastly the group might consist of people I know really good and ones that I don't know at all (or barely). Because of that I would rather not come out and say: I carry and we can't go to a bar. This goes even further: I carry and only select few should know that I do. I don't see it as being a good idea to come out and advertise the fact that I carry.

I like that tacos line. As simple as it is, I didn't think about it.

Question on your CA CCW law assertion...

Quote Originally Posted by Huzar View Post
    Here in CA bars are a no no if you got a gun.
    Actually, the law in California is that a CCW holder carrying a gun cannot consume any alcohol. There is no prohibition on a CCW holder going into a place where alcohol is served, as long as he doesn't consume any:

Summary of CA CCW law

But in spite of the legality of this, I don't think it is a good idea for a CCW holder to go into a bar. Fights often start in bars, and the situation can get out of hand.

I am not normally a bar person and would not go into one where there was an appearance of possible trouble. At the same time I am a big propoenent of the "Concealed means Concealed" mentality. If it were to be exposed in the bar it would only be to prevent the use of deadly force on me, so the danger of being in violation of the law I think is secondary. Be prepared to pay the penalty if you do not conceal properly though...

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    Actually, the law in California is that a CCW holder carrying a gun cannot consume any alcohol. There is no prohibition on a CCW holder going into a place where alcohol is served, as long as he doesn't consume any:

Summary of CA CCW law

But in spite of the legality of this, I don't think it is a good idea for a CCW holder to go into a bar. Fights often start in bars, and the situation can get out of hand.
    Hmm I'd have to look it up again but I was pretty sure that there was a law about the 50% (or near 50%) business revenue derived from alcohol

I just find it easier to hang out with a bunch of people who don't like unfamiliar drunks. If we're going to drink, we do it at somebody's house, and there's usually a designated shooter, (just in case - crooks aren't going to take the day off just because we're drinking) who also tends to hold the keys to cars and lockboxes until folks sober up.

Good comments. Here in MI, the place must make 51% or more of their earnings from achohol served by the glass to be consumed on the premisis for it to be off-limits. So when this situation comes up for me, I suggest grabbing a drink at Applebees or TGI Fridays, etc... Then I NEVER drink myself. A swig of Nyquil can put you over the legal limit. Driving your own car is a huge bonus too. If the SHTF you can grab your 870, MP5, AR, and Barrett all stashed in the trunk. :)
    I'll keep my freedom, my liberty, and my guns. You can keep the change.

I did bars in my twenties, but after 10-12 years it got old. The smoke and drunks...ugh.
    Everyonce in a while I'll go into one for a few minutes just to remind myself why I don't do that scene anymore...
    One of my old haunts I went into for the first time in about 10 years. I saw people there that was there then ! still looked the same...except older and looked anemic. That blew me away. I had to leave ...

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    Bars are a no No in Alabama to for CCW's.
    Do you have a reference for that? I have searched the Code of Alabama and have only found schools and public demonstrations to be off-limits.
    Sarhog
    NRA Life Member
    Northwest Florida Defensive Pistol Shooters Member
    Sarhog's gallery

Senior Moderator
    On the back of the State pistol License #4 "Your pistol permit does not allow you to carry a pistol in any place that serves alcohol or while you are drinking or using any illegal drug." I guess that rules Ruby Tuesdays and the like. BTW #1 is "This pistol permit does not permit you to carry a gun openly.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    On the back of the State pistol License #4 "Your pistol permit does not allow you to carry a pistol in any place that serves alcohol or while you are drinking or using any illegal drug." I guess that rules Ruby Tuesdays and the like. BTW #1 is "This pistol permit does not permit you to carry a gun openly.
    The State pistol license in Alabama is issued by the county and if there is information on the back it is probably from a county that issues a license that has a photo and looks like a driver's license. Not all counties do that. In fact most issue no more than a sheet of paper that looks like a page out of some sales book 5.5"X8.5" and just has the necessary info on it.

Code of Alabama has only 3 restrictions on carry public schools K-12, courthouses, within 1000' of a public demonstration. State offices will try to tell you that it is prohibited there, but can produce nothing from the code to indicate such.

If your permit has that #4 it must be a county regulation because neither the lawyers I have asked nor I can find any other restrictions in the Code of Alabama 1975.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links