What would you do? - Page 2

What would you do?

This is a discussion on What would you do? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by WHEC724 I don't recommend this, but since I happen to be fond of my vehicle, I'd get out the camera phone and ...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: What would you do?

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    I don't recommend this, but since I happen to be fond of my vehicle, I'd get out the camera phone and do a photo-shoot of his progress. That might dissuade him. If he decides to leave, I'd let him.

If he attacked me, I'd defend myself.

I just have a hard time rolling over.
    Cell phone with video recording and a big smile on my face. No, I would also not draw unless he attacked or pulled a weapon.
    iblearning likes this.
    ...Adam

"If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart, and if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no head." --Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by ericb327 View Post
    You pull up to a convenient store and go inside for coffee. When you return an individual is in in your car attempting to steal it. You are not in any danger! Do you draw down on him/her or attempt less than lethal force? Or, do you let them take it and be a good witness?
    As long as I'm not in danger and none of my family is in the car, I'll call the police.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    In every state that I know of, you are not allowed to use lethal force to protect property. That being said, your under no obligation to just let them have it, though that may be the wisest (safest) course of action.
    In Texas, you can:

PENAL CODE**CHAPTER 9. JUSTIFICATION EXCLUDING CRIMINAL RESPONSIBILITY

Texas Penal Code - Section 9.42. Deadly Force To Protect Property

"...to prevent the other's imminent commission of arson, burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, theft during the nighttime, or criminal mischief during the nighttime..."
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Unless there was a threat, I'd get some really good video on my phone, and probably hit the 'door lock' button on my key fob.

I'm pretty sure that SC law won't let me draw a weapon to keep someone from stealing my car. Also, I wouldn't want to be responsible for cleaning the bits and pieces of the would be thief out of the upholstery after I've... kept him from stealing my car.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

VIP Member
    That is why I have good insurance. But I will admit I would be tempted to draw. I hope it would be my cell phone with camera or video to record.

VIP Member
    Unless the vehicle is occupied, Utah law does not allow for using deadly force against a car thief. I would do what I could to stop the theft and have the BG wrapped up and waiting for the police to arrive.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

You must offer him the keys,and if it is not full fill it with gas.
    try to stop him you will end up in jail in many places. Your weapon is not for propriety crimes and a lot of DA's can't wait to prove that to you
    ericb327 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    Unless the vehicle is occupied, Utah law does not allow for using deadly force against a car thief.
    If you look at it dispassionately, this is an interesting twist. On one hand, they are "relocating" a victim which usually means they intend to kill them. On the other hand, does the occupant pass the AOJ test allowing the alter ego principle?

Even in terms of it being kidnapping, SD law typically says grave bodily harm, death, or sexual assault. Does this fit?

I'd take some pictures, but unless he presented a weapon for some reason or I had kids in the car I wouldn't draw. It's not worth it.. its just a car. Besides, in Michigan you can't shoot to protect property alone (nor would I want to).

I thought he was trying to run me over with that big heavy weapon.
    Semper Fi
    "Marines don't surrender-they win or die." from Brute

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    If you look at it dispassionately, this is an interesting twist. On one hand, they are "relocating" a victim which usually means they intend to kill them. On the other hand, does the occupant pass the AOJ test allowing the alter ego principle?

Even in terms of it being kidnapping, SD law typically says grave bodily harm, death, or sexual assault. Does this fit?
    By Utah law, the reason it fits is that if the vehicle is occupied when it is stolen, it becomes a kidnapping which is a forcible felony, and why it justifies deadly force.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BenGoodLuck View Post
    As long as I'm not in danger and none of my family is in the car, I'll call the police.
    Exactly. Phone pic is a good idea.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

So is he like halfway in the window? You've got a cup of hot coffee, his pants are probably halfway down anyway, just sayin'.

Otherwise, call 911 and get as much intel as you can.
    mprp and tricolordad like this.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    Pray he TOTALS it!
    pgrass101 likes this.

Little over two years ago in Milwaukee a man walked out couple citizens were stealing the radio out of the car they had it out he fire a shot in the air.
    He went to jail 2 years sentence . Thief's did no time.
    However if you are in your car, Castle Doc allows you to treat it the same as your home. They are working on repealing that so keep up on the news .

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links