What would you do?

This is a discussion on What would you do? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Smitty901 Little over two years ago in Milwaukee a man walked out couple citizens were stealing the radio out of the car ...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: What would you do?

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    Little over two years ago in Milwaukee a man walked out couple citizens were stealing the radio out of the car they had it out he fire a shot in the air.
    He went to jail 2 years sentence . Thief's did no time.
    However if you are in your car, Castle Doc allows you to treat it the same as your home. They are working on repealing that so keep up on the news .
    They are trying to repeal that? That doesn't make much sense. If I or my wife or another loved one is in my car about to be kidnapped I'd for sure use deadly force if I had a good shot. Hopefully that doesn't get passed!

2. Remove Ads

In Arizona, If I feel threatned, I can draw, without having to worry about brandishing charges.
    I would tell the thief to get out of my car. Couple things can happen:
    1- he drives away - I call cops.
    2- he gets out and runs away - I call cops.
    3- he gets out and approaches me - If I feel threatened, I draw, if escalated, I fire.
    JDKinman likes this.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

duct tape him to the seat in the car.

As already stated you are issued a permit so you can defend yourself not your property. If you were in your car and being forced/threatened to exit the car you might have a stand your ground case. I gotta say I'm not the sort of person that just gives in, but I am not law enforcement.

But I like that you come up with what-if scenarios. I do it all the time to train myself on how I should react in different given situations.

You don't need a permit to protect your property. I'd open the car door and yank the jackass out of my car.

VIP Member
    If I was able to open the door and go hands on, I'd enjoy it to put it mildly. If I was too late getting there, I'd try to vetch some video on my cell.

I'm a single father and my son's too young to be sitting in the car without me so that isn't a scenario I'd have to address.

Drawing my weapon wouldn't even cross my mind unless he were to come at me in a threatening manner.

Sent from my palm device.. so please excuse any typos.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin

"Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

I really need to live in Texas. Gotta love 'em. Hats off to y'all down there.
    BA
    Kahr CM9, Beretta PX4 SC .40, Ruger LCP/LM, Dan Wesson .357, Beretta 21A .22, Four Aces .22, H&R .22, Marlin .22 rifle and Remington 12 gauge.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ericb327 View Post
    I want to know because I wonder what I would do.

You pull up to a convienent store and go inside for coffee. When you return an individual is in in your car attempting to steel it. You are not in any danger! Do draw down on him/her or attempt less than lethal force? Or, do you let them take it and be a good witness?
    I push the little red button on my remote and call 9-1-1.
    BugDude and SmokinLawyer like this.
    "Who are the ones that we kept in charge? Killers, thieves, and lawyers"

Tom Waits, God's Away on Business

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    I don't recommend this, but since I happen to be fond of my vehicle, I'd get out the camera phone and do a photo-shoot of his progress. That might dissuade him. If he decides to leave, I'd let him.

If he attacked me, I'd defend myself.

I just have a hard time rolling over.

This

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    Now if my kids are in the car then it is a different story
    Forcible entry into an OCCUPIED CAR is legal reason in SC to presume imminent threat of death or great bodily injury. You may not be in the car but the Alter Ego rule in SC allows you to act for others (your kids)as if it is you in the car. As most have said, property does not equate to imminent threat of death or great bodily injury and a firearm is only going to cause you a whole lot of grief, civil and legal costs, and probably prison. In SC, it this happens AT NIGHT and ONLY AT NIGHT, we have an old law on the books concerning citizens arrest. You can affect a citizens arrest if you presume there is a felony and if the BG decides to evade your arrest you can use any means possible including death to prevent the evasion of the arrest. Simply put, you can shoot him in the back to stop him from running away--like it or agree with it or not this law is on the books and has case law substantiation. In addition, a good shoot precludes any civil responsibilities.

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Since I always lock my car when I'm out of it, they would have to have broken in and are likely trying to hot wire it. That would likely give me time to open the car door and pepper spray them.

But your car also has your address (registration) and likely a garage door opener. Something to keep in mind.

But for the record, I don't think any of us would just stand there and watch. I'd at least say something. But definitely no need for drawing your gun.

I knew a guy and he was so upside down on his truck and it had high mileage that he would leave the keys in it running hoping someone would take it.
    It was such a wreck no one would even steal it

What I would do depends on a few variables. Is he just sitting in the car trying to get it started? Is it running and he is pulling away? First thing I would do in either case is hit the red panic button. My alarm is so obnoxious and it will not stop unless you have the fob or put the key in the door and manually unlock it. If he is rolling away, call the cops. If he is sitting in the car and not rolling yet, unlock the door with the fob and beat his arse. I have got to get a remote kill switch!!!
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Depends on which car. My daily driver, I would hand him the key. My wife's truck call insurance company and make sure it was covered. My 1972 Dodge Power Wagon W200- Aint NO WAY he is driving away with that.
    BugDude likes this.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links