What would you do? - Page 4

What would you do?

This is a discussion on What would you do? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I guess ya'll have better insurance or really crappy cars. My truck is 10 years old. But it is in great shape. If stolen or ...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: What would you do?

Distinguished Member
    I guess ya'll have better insurance or really crappy cars. My truck is 10 years old. But it is in great shape. If stolen or totaled my ins. will pay me maybe 5 grand. That won't buy me a comparable vehicle. I would most definitely do anything short of firing my weapon to prevent it from being stolen If I stand behind the truck or in front to block the escape and the thief intentionally attempts to run over me, that is assault with a deadly weapon. I could legally fire on him. But in Texas I could use deadly force to prevent him from stealing it anyway. I would definitely call 911 first. I don't leave my keys in the ignition, or leave my truck running when going in anywhere. Gee, I hope I never have to make this call.

Take cover behind the building and enter the remote self destruct sequence.

Sure, Steal it when I only have 3 payments left. Now I have to start all over again!

Quote Originally Posted by 40Bob View Post
    Depends on which car. My daily driver, I would hand him the key. My wife's truck call insurance company and make sure it was covered. My 1972 Dodge Power Wagon W200- Aint NO WAY he is driving away with that.
    I feel the same way about my 1963 Volkswagen Bug. Sentimental value. My Dad drove my Mom to the hospital in that car the day she went into labor with me and they brought me home from the hospital in it. It was our family car growing up. I wanted it my whole life, lost it for 9 years, then spent 3 completely building the car back. I catch someone trying to steal it, they are going to have to peel me off the windshield. Of course, with as many motor vehicle accidents as there are here, I rarely drive it anymore.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by oldnfat View Post
    I guess ya'll have better insurance or really crappy cars. My truck is 10 years old. But it is in great shape. If stolen or totaled my ins. will pay me maybe 5 grand. That won't buy me a comparable vehicle. I would most definitely do anything short of firing my weapon to prevent it from being stolen If I stand behind the truck or in front to block the escape and the thief intentionally attempts to run over me, that is assault with a deadly weapon. I could legally fire on him. But in Texas I could use deadly force to prevent him from stealing it anyway. I would definitely call 911 first. I don't leave my keys in the ignition, or leave my truck running when going in anywhere. Gee, I hope I never have to make this call.
    If I were still living in the rural mountains of Virginia and someone were driving off in my truck, no one would think twice about me shooting a tire out. Now that I live in an urban area of Florida, I'm quite certain that would be heavily frowned upon.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

let them take it and be a good witness..and pray the money pit gives them as much hell as it has given me.

I pay good money to my insurance company so I'd snap a few pics, call the police and let the GPS system lead them to him.
    ericb327 likes this.

Although my car has a lot of sentimental value, it also has a passive immobilizer. Someone trying to steal it will be going nowhere fast. I'll just call 911 and keep a close eye on them and snap a few pics like everyone else was saying.
    Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. - Rule #23 in the USMC rules for gunfighting.

My 20 year-old Volvo with 255K on it is probably more of a threat to the untutored operator than my gun is.
    BugDude and joker1 like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

To bad we cant change the laws because I personally disagree about the stance on protecting property . Sorry, it is my car or my stuff. I paid for it and you are not welcome to take it. It may be different if you could sue the folks and get your money back but you as the owner are screwed for the most part. Why should I be forced to pay for theft insurance? With all this said, I do know the law.
    ericb327, Cold Shot and CJM like this.
    The 1911 is an antiquated weapons system but then again, so am I.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Quote Originally Posted by 40Bob View Post
    Depends on which car. My daily driver, I would hand him the key. My wife's truck call insurance company and make sure it was covered. My 1972 Dodge Power Wagon W200- Aint NO WAY he is driving away with that.
    Anybody that drives an old Mopar (fighting for is is part of driving it) definitely can't be too bad a person.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Hmm... I would say.. my initial reaction would be to yell at the guy, "That's my car!". Just a natural reaction without thinking. Maybe that would be enough to scare him off, maybe not. As an after thought, as someone said... I hope he totals it. I have full coverage, and it's paid off. I've been wanting to trade it in for a new car.

If my wife was in the car, I wouldn't worry one bit. She carries too. :)

VIP Member
    If he is trying to steel my car, I assume that he is upgrading the aluminum hood to steel. I might let him. Might cost a MPG or 2, but could be more sturdy.

If he was trying to steal my car - pics, cops, insurance. It would tick me off significantly with a 2 week old new car, but, it is all replaceable.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Seems a lot of responses are about the "protection of your property". That may be both perfectly legal & morally righteous but I'm more of a best case/worst case scenario kind a' guy. The big, tangled wad of tedious immediate & long-term consequences of even a justified fatal shooting make the value of "my property" grow increasingly insignificant. My car is a thing. The thief, rotten lowlife that he may be, is a person. Things get replaced. Much tougher with people. Would you feel the same about a perp riding off...on your bicycle? I'm very, VERY fond of my '74 Porsche. But shooting a guy driving away could ruin my Recaro racing buckets!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

PM
    Well, if I can yank their butt out and place them on the ground, Knee in mid back left hand on baack of their head. If they choose to move well . . .! After remove of pest from car call 911. If not call 911 and hope PPD can locate car. I might also attempt to lower the pressure in a couple of tires with a knife!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Sponsored Links