What would you do? - Page 5

What would you do?

This is a discussion on What would you do? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by ericb327 When you return an individual is in in your car attempting to steel it. Well, if speaking of my grandfather's old ...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: What would you do?

Quote Originally Posted by ericb327 View Post
    When you return an individual is in in your car attempting to steel it.
    Well, if speaking of my grandfather's old work truck, that ol' rusty animal could use a bit of steeling ... to replace all the rusty spots. I'd probably jump in and lend the guy a hand, if anyone were to offer to help like that. Much obliged!

If in the process of being stolen, though, for me it would depend upon when/where. If in the middle of the desert where life depended on surviving days of 100+ temps, then I'm fairly certain I would stop the robbery and (if required) defend against any subsequent act to threaten our lives with the degree of forced required to protect those lives. If just in the driveway in town, very likely I'd call police and document the perp/act as best as I could. Generally speaking, I think that life's not worth a replaceable item. IMO, no matter what steps are taken, or what additional crimes the thief intends to commit, life is worth defending at all times.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

draw and tell him to walk away. if he makes any sudden movements he is getting shot.

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon View Post
    draw and tell him to walk away. if he makes any sudden movements he is getting shot.
    Good luck with that!
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    Now if my kids are in the car then it is a different story
    With my boys in the car he'd abandon the car, and them, after about 100yds. ;-) I think the camera phone would be the best thing to use in the empty car scenario, car theft in HD or 8MP Color...

yeah there's no right thing to do. it all depends on how much you love/value your car.

Quote Originally Posted by Lish View Post
    Personally I'd call the police and let them handle it. Grab a pic or 2 of him if I could.
    I would call the police as well, but I do like the take a couple of pic with your phone idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "The belief in a supernatural source of evil is not necessary.
    Men alone are quite capable of every wickedness."

-Joseph Conrad-

i'd open the door and pull them out. i know, wrong answer. but it's honestly what i would do. i love my car, and honestly the guy would be out cold before he hit the ground.

i wouldn't draw on him though.
    Poseidon likes this.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon View Post
    In Kentucky, I'm assuming.

KRS 503.080, 503.055, 503.010. In KY, force may be used in defense of property, with deadly force only lawful if a person is threatened to the level of death or grave bodily injury. But I'd think the mere act of drawing a deadly weapon in clear threat/warning to another could easily be deemed by a DA/GJ as an act creating a "substantial risk of causing death or serious physical injury." Perhaps case law clarifies, but this seems a "test case" problem waiting to happen, if drawing (in KY) based on property loss alone.

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    In Kentucky, I'm assuming.

KRS 503.080, 503.055, 503.010. In KY, force may be used in defense of property, with deadly force only lawful if a person is threatened to the level of death or grave bodily injury. But I'd think the mere act of drawing a deadly weapon in clear threat/warning to another could easily be deemed by a DA/GJ as an act creating a "substantial risk of causing death or serious physical injury." Perhaps case law clarifies, but this seems a "test case" problem waiting to happen, if drawing (in KY) based on property loss alone.
    Exactly! A threat has to be present.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Let him take it no reason to let a defense attorney tell a jury he was stealing it to feed one of his kids.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." -V
    "To disarm the people is the most effectual way to enslave them."
- George Mason
    "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his house, his possessions are safe."
- Luke 11:21

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Would it make me feel 'good'- getting a scumbag off the street and keeping him from stealing my $20,000+ car- probably.

Would it be the smart thing to do? NO.

Is it worth the legal trouble, the mess, the trauma, all the BS? NO.

Is it worth being labeled as a 'crazed gunman'? NO.
    Poseidon and ericb327 like this.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

unless police apprehends him quickly there's a chance car will be chopped into parts.but sometimes you just need to let it go.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolvingMag View Post
    Would it make me feel 'good'- getting a scumbag off the street and keeping him from stealing my $20,000+ car- probably.

Would it be the smart thing to do? NO.

Is it worth the legal trouble, the mess, the trauma, all the BS? NO.

Is it worth being labeled as a 'crazed gunman'? NO.
    All the above is true. It also makes me consider whether or not we, as a whole, need to start rethinking the rules regarding protection of property. Property is more than just stuff. It is an extension of you, your labors and efforts, thoughts, opinions, and even feelings.

Also, stealing a vehicle is akin to what stealing a horse used to be. One was justified in killing a horse thief. Cars, like horses, are more than transportation but an item that is necessary to conduct ones way of life.
    ericb327 and ccw9mm like this.

Quote Originally Posted by globetruck View Post
    But your car also has your address (registration) and likely a garage door opener. Something to keep in mind.
    Not mine, for just this reason.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    All the above is true. It also makes me consider whether or not we, as a whole, need to start rethinking the rules regarding protection of property. Property is more than just stuff. It is an extension of you, your labors and efforts, thoughts, opinions, and even feelings.

Also, stealing a vehicle is akin to what stealing a horse used to be. One was justified in killing a horse thief. Cars, like horses, are more than transportation but an item that is necessary to conduct ones way of life.
    I'm with you- if you could hang a car thief like you could a horse thief there would be a lot less crime in the world. Or at least this country.

Unfortunately, now all car thieves are 'good people just trying to get by and made a few mistakes'. Unlike how it was back when horse thieves were hung or shot.

But, on the same note, unless you're somehow in the middle of the desert you're not as likely to die without your car. And- according to the justice system these days- the criminal has just as many rights as you, but probably more.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links