What would you do? - Page 7

What would you do?

This is a discussion on What would you do? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have had a car stolen before, and a few weeks later they caught the guys and I got the car back. But if I ...

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: What would you do?

I have had a car stolen before, and a few weeks later they caught the guys and I got
    the car back. But if I was coming out of a store and I found someone in my vehicle trying to steal it or take stuff that was in it I would draw on them for sure. It my vehicle and my property in the vehicle and ill be damned if im going to just let someone take it. I got my CCW permit to protect myself and my property, not to just stand there and watch someone steal my property.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
    I have had a car stolen before, and a few weeks later they caught the guys and I got
    the car back. But if I was coming out of a store and I found someone in my vehicle trying to steal it or take stuff that was in it I would draw on them for sure. It my vehicle and my property in the vehicle and ill be damned if im going to just let someone take it. I got my CCW permit to protect myself and my property, not to just stand there and watch someone steal my property.
    Good thing you live in Texas. Texas did annex Idaho, didn't it???
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

In all honesty, his face would be wearing that super hot coffee I just walked out the door with, given the opportunity. Then I would force him to reimburse me for my wasted purchase.

Then I would ask if he would like another with cream and sugar.
    I think, therefore I am...

<the Menace>

45-3-104. Use of force in defense of other property. A person is justified in the use of force or threat to use force against another when and to the extent that the person reasonably believes that the conduct is necessary to prevent or terminate the other person's trespass on or other tortious or criminal interference with either real property, other than an occupied structure, or personal property lawfully in the person's possession or in the possession of another who is a member of the person's immediate family or household or of a person whose property the person has a legal duty to protect. However, the person is justified in the use of force likely to cause death or serious bodily harm only if the person reasonably believes that the force is necessary to prevent the commission of a forcible felony.
    There's Montana's take on defense of property. Leaves a lot of wiggle room, since it doesn't say that the "threat" of lethal force would be illegal. Take that how you want, but I'm not going to stand there and watch while some dirtbag takes something that I worked so hard for.

The car does not have the same intrinsic value a life has. Let them have it if they want it that badly. I have talked with my daughter about this same scenario and have explained to her that even the bad guys life is more valuable than the car. The big big big problem is that no one knows for certain what other crimes the thief has just committed or the ones the thief is about to commit. I was once told that a thief is usually part of a much broader criminal enterprise. Try to stay clear of unsavory places.

Quote Originally Posted by tricolordad View Post
    Exactly what DO they teach you in the chair force dude? hahahaa In all seriousness, I've been stuck up too. Unfortunately, I grew up in foster homes and group homes and those are usually in bad places....
    Been shot at by an AK while in Afgan while driving in a convoy but nothing high action but I got home and about a week later I went to pick up some Ben and Jerry's at a convenience store and coming around the corner a meth head stuck a glock in my face and wanted all my money.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." -V
    "To disarm the people is the most effectual way to enslave them."
- George Mason
    "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his house, his possessions are safe."
- Luke 11:21

I would just dial 911 and let him take it. I wouldn't confront or yell at the thief in any way as he might decide to pull a weapon from concealment and take a shot at me...which would endanger me and anyone else nearby.

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    They would probably drop mine off a couple of blocks away with a note that said "No Thanks"
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

There is really no way to say what you would do. Too many variables to take into account to give a steadfast statement on an internet forum about what you would or would not do. It is easy to fantasize what you would do while sitting at a keyboard but is there really a way to train for this? I doubt it. Under duress you always resort to your training. The best thing is to know your local laws on deadly force.
    Jaxon06 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BadHabit View Post
    There is really no way to say what you would do. Too many variables to take into account to give a steadfast statement on an internet forum about what you would or would not do. It is easy to fantasize what you would do while sitting at a keyboard but is there really a way to train for this? I doubt it. Under duress you always resort to your training. The best thing is to know your local laws on deadly force.
    Agreed but this scenario is thought provoking and is meant to bring some good discussion about the use of force issues you mention.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    No I would not. I would just call 911.

Quote Originally Posted by lizjimbo View Post
    The car does not have the same intrinsic value a life has. Let them have it if they want it that badly. I have talked with my daughter about this same scenario and have explained to her that even the bad guys life is more valuable than the car. The big big big problem is that no one knows for certain what other crimes the thief has just committed or the ones the thief is about to commit. I was once told that a thief is usually part of a much broader criminal enterprise. Try to stay clear of unsavory places.
    I disagree with the BGs life being more valuable than the car. It's not worth more than a pile of dog crap.

Quote Originally Posted by BadHabit View Post
    This. However, as several have stated; i'd have a hard time letting someone just drive off with my car. Where do you draw the line?
    In Absentia Luci Tenebrae Vincu

There is a line between good and evil, no wider than a razor's edge.
    I hold the line.
    I am the line.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Links