NC Military CCW

This is a discussion on NC Military CCW within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Me and my wife are both from NC and we both have current NC DL, But I am in the Air Force stationed in SC. ...

Thread: NC Military CCW

NC Military CCW

Me and my wife are both from NC and we both have current NC DL, But I am in the Air Force stationed in SC. My parents still lives at the address on my DL. We are looking to getting our NC conceal carry permits due to the reciprocity among ALOT more states than SC and it would be more beneficial for us because we could get stationed in really any other state. Is it possible for us to obtain the NC permit and how would we go about doing this?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Welcome from Goldsboro. As to your question, the application does require for you to apply at your home of residence. Since you are using your parent’s residence as home of record you may not qualify. Here is a link to the North Carolina regs. http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/northcarolina.pdf
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Since mil has the benefit of dual residency all you should have to do is to first take the NC CHP class and then submit your paperwork through the sheriff in the NC county of your declared residency. I've had a couple of students that took the class while on leave here and submitted their paperwork prior to returning to duty out of state.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

VIP Member
    Welcome from Virginia.

I believe for you it won't be an issue. Your wife is another story. She becomes a resident of the state she is residing in. I was stationed at Charleston AFB back in the early 70's. My license was and remained valid while there, my wife however had to get a SC drivers license to be able to drive.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Thanks guys, I am currently deployed but will be back in a couple months. At that time, I will be on leave and can go take a class in Boone somewere and hopefully all goes smoothly. I will definitely talk to the Watauga County sheriff just to make sure I wont be wasting our money. I just didnt want to go in there in a couple months with the class and look crazy if I couldnt get it for NC.

If you can't finagle your NC permit, you can get your SC permit and then add an AZ permit easy. They send you an app with two fingerprint cards, and just photocopy your SC permit and they'll accept that as proof of training.

You'll end up with the same coverage minus Washington state.

Quote Originally Posted by wssmredneck View Post
    Me and my wife are both from NC and we both have current NC DL, But I am in the Air Force stationed in SC. My parents still lives at the address on my DL. We are looking to getting our NC conceal carry permits due to the reciprocity among ALOT more states than SC and it would be more beneficial for us because we could get stationed in really any other state. Is it possible for us to obtain the NC permit and how would we go about doing this?
    A few thoughts:
    • Only Security Forces, Curriers and local civilian law enforcement (while on duty) may carry a firearm on-base, so I'm assuming you live off-base.
    • Your "residence" needs to jive with DEERS, income taxes and everything else, so the first thing I would do is pick which state is going to be my residence.
    • If NC is going to be your "residence", SC will honor a NC residence-permit. SC will not honor NC non-resident permits.
    • You have to either be a resident of, or own property in, SC to get a SC permit.
    • My experience with using the military rout to get a non-resident permit is that your First Shirt will want you to demonstrate a 'need' to carry. Typically, this means a 'need' relative to your service, such as possessing or transporting classified material.

So if I were you, I would get a NC resident permit, double check with SC law enforcement, and use my NC to carry in SC.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Welcome from Virginia.

I believe for you it won't be an issue. Your wife is another story. She becomes a resident of the state she is residing in. I was stationed at Charleston AFB back in the early 70's. My license was and remained valid while there, my wife however had to get a SC drivers license to be able to drive.
    Two things here:

Many states will make an exception and will consider military on orders assigned within the state as a resident for permit processing purposes. Same often goes for the spouse. Kansas went even further and codified this into their laws. A call or email to the State permit office (or for North Carolina acall to the sheriff where you reside (not the same as your domicile [legal residence] for tax and voting purposes) should resolve the question.

Also, the spouse does not automatically become a resident of the state she is physically residing in. The Military Spouse Residency Relief Act (MSRRA) (Public Law 111-97) specifically allows a spouse to retain a single residency without having to change it when the spouse moves incident to a Permanent Change of Station (PCS) move of the servicemember. In other words, the spouse has to choose to become a resident of the new state she resides in.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NotMallNinja View Post
    Two things here:

Many states will make an exception and will consider military on orders assigned within the state as a resident for permit processing purposes. Same often goes for the spouse. Kansas went even further and codified this into their laws. A call or email to the State permit office (or for North Carolina acall to the sheriff where you reside (not the same as your domicile [legal residence] for tax and voting purposes) should resolve the question.

Also, the spouse does not automatically become a resident of the state she is physically residing in. The Military Spouse Residency Relief Act (MSRRA) (Public Law 111-97) specifically allows a spouse to retain a single residency without having to change it when the spouse moves incident to a Permanent Change of Station (PCS) move of the servicemember. In other words, the spouse has to choose to become a resident of the new state she resides in.
    Thanks for the info, was not aware of the Military Spouse Residency Relief Act (MSRRA). Came about long after I retired. Service members on PCS orders have been treated as residents since long before I joined. I believe that is federal law, covered by the Soldier and Sailor Act of 1940.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Thanks for the info, was not aware of the Military Spouse Residency Relief Act (MSRRA). Came about long after I retired. Service members on PCS orders have been treated as residents since long before I joined. I believe that is federal law, covered by the Soldier and Sailor Act of 1940.
    It is not covered by the Soldiers and Sailors Civil Relief Act nor the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act but rather is covered by some aspects of federal law on a case by case basis. For example 18 U.S.C. 921(b), Federal Firearms Laws, states "For the purposes of this chapter, a member of the Armed Forces on active duty is a resident of the State in which his permanent duty station is located." The act you cited does prevent another state from taxing you simply based upon your permanent duty station, to include income taxes, property taxes (save for homes or businesses one might own inside the state), and vehicle/boat/trailer excise taxes and registration taxes.

In other words, active military, not the spouses, are generally considered residents of the state they are assigned to though the application of this by the states has not been uniform. Generally speaking, however, an explanation and a phone call (with supporting orders if asked) will satisfy most statebureaucrats.

Here's a little kicker, I claim TN for state tax purposes (taking no state taxes out, because NC took out almost 1100 and I only got 300 back last year). My DL is still for NC though. I guess I should have mentioned this first, apologies!

Quote Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post
    If you can't finagle your NC permit, you can get your SC permit and then add an AZ permit easy. They send you an app with two fingerprint cards, and just photocopy your SC permit and they'll accept that as proof of training.

You'll end up with the same coverage minus Washington state.
    Good call, thanks. I hear Utah would be a good way to go as well, so I may check them out as well.

Quote Originally Posted by wssmredneck View Post
    Good call, thanks. I hear Utah would be a good way to go as well, so I may check them out as well.
    I'm waiting for my Utah right now, but I had to pay for a separate training class for them. If I had known about AZ, I probably wouldn't have bothered with Utah. Both add a bunch of states, only difference between the two is Utah adds WA and MN, but loses NV and NM.

Links