Carrying the message

Carrying the message

This is a discussion on Carrying the message within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I get to know a lot of people over time and I tend to be a pretty nice guy,over time I have taken people to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Carrying the message

Carrying the message

I get to know a lot of people over time and I tend to be a pretty nice guy,over time I have taken people to the gun range and encouraged them to get their Concealed Licenses.

A couple weeks ago a guy asked me about where to go for concealed handgun classes,I told him I'd check into it and let him know.I called him back and told him and he asked what would be a good gun to get for his daughter.I told him it's best to let her pick out a gun after shooting a few and asked if she had ever shot before,he said no.I told him that she needs to learn to shoot before she takes the class and that I would bring some guns and ammo and teach her GUN SAFETY and how to shoot with 22 pistols to start,he said he was interested in getting a license also,so I will be teaching both of them not only how to shoot,but also gun safety.

Today I was getting a hair cut and my hairdresser who's been cutting my hair for 5 years was telling me she had to fly to Dallas to drive back with her daughter who was scared to drive that far alone. I asked how old her daughter was and she said 21.I asked her if she knew about Texas Concealed carry laws and that even without a permit you can carry concealed in your vehicle.
    We had the usual guns are bad talk,but then I pointed out the difference and the benefits of learning to shoot and being armed since she is in her shop alone.She said I have a lot of LEO friends and if anybody did anything they wouldn't have a good time in jail.
    I said maybe,but what about you the damage is already done either being robbed ,raped,and or killed.

She said but where would I keep it in here,I said they make thigh holsters and you always wear skirts so you could wear it under your dress and be able to get to it if you needed to,I am now going to be taking her and her daughter to the range and teach them how to handle firearms safely and shoot while they also get their concealed carry licenses.

I had to go into my bank because my card wasn't working in the ATM and the lady that opened my account was there,the conversation turned to some crimes in the area and the Colorado Shooting,long story short in the next couple of weeks she will start learning to shoot with the intent to get her concealed carry license.

I'm gonna be busy for a few weeks,and maybe longer once they encourage their friends to learn to defend themselves also.
    Besides firearms I will also bring up pepper spray as a non-lethal alternative and steer them towards "The Cornered Cat" website
    Last edited by JD; August 10th, 2012 at 11:14 AM.
    ArmyMan, JoJoGunn, joker1 and 4 others like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array miller_man's Avatar
    Good job.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

You're the man!!!

This is one reason I have justified (to myself) having a wide variety of guns. I took a guy from work to the range and he shot a bunch of stuff and ended up getting his permit and a XD9sc. He really liked my XD40sc, but thought the recoil of my similar sized 9mms was more his speed.

Keep spreading the word duk!!!
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

VIP Member
    Well done. Hopefully once they get the training, they will follow through.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

GH
    Keep up the good work!
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

The best way to get around the "guns are bad" attitudes are exactly how you have proceeded. If we, the lawful and good gun owners can portray ourselves as decent citizens who take ownership and use of a firearm very seriously and not appear to be some gun-totin' whack job as many anti folk think, then we can change the attitudes of people who fear the gun.

I have introduced shooting, firearm safety and also how to obtain a WV Concealed Pistol/Revolver License to people as well. When approached with a calm explaination of why we want to carry, then many barriers to anti firearm can be knocked down.

Good job, keep up the good work!
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

We should all strive to be ambassadors for te "gun culture" as some would have it. dukalmighty is being a great example.

Good job to all those that are able to educate others about guns and dispell the crap the media wants them to believe.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

MJK
    Kudos! You are a great emissary for the brother/sisterhood!
    [T]he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people. ---Tenche Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.

I am constantly having these conversations as well, but with varying levels of success. It seems that most people still think that it "couldn't happen to them", and sometimes these folks look at you like you're a nut when you want to talk about this stuff with them.
    iblearning likes this.
    "If it bleeds...we can kill it." -Dutch, Predator

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    Way to go! It's in our best interest to be teachers of our rights as well as active participants in them.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Well done! You may have some converts!

Great job! Love proactive, but not pushy! Winning hearts and minds!
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Well done. You are promoting and educating people in a great way. Keep up yhe work.

I try to use range trips to educate, and to entice and excite. Sometimes not great results, but i find it is usually gives a very positive experience to the initiate. Hooks em pretty good if you don't push it. Start with .22...and see how far up the line THEY feel comportable with.
    All men are equal...CC makes us equal-er.

Much encouragement to you. God bless and keep up the great work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links