Relocation/CCW Question

This is a discussion on Relocation/CCW Question within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Howdy All, I currently have a Tennessee HCP, which is good until March 2008. My family and I are relocating to Southeastern Kentucky shortly. The ...

Thread: Relocation/CCW Question

Relocation/CCW Question

Howdy All,

I currently have a Tennessee HCP, which is good until March 2008. My family and I are relocating to Southeastern Kentucky shortly. The law in Kentucky states that you must be a resident of that state for 6 months prior to application for a concealed permit there.

Does anyone know (for certain) if my TN carry permit would allow me to legally carry in Kentucky in the meantime if I still have my TN permit but no longer reside there?

Any Kentuckians in the know, your knowledge of the matter would be greatly appreciated. I understand reciprocity and have been carrying in KY legally for 2 years when I go there and back on the weekends, but I had no idea if, when my state of residence changes, does that void the validity of the TN permit.

Anyone who knows or who can point me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate that.

2. Remove Ads

I'm not from KY, but I would ask your local sheriff's office if maybe it was different for transfering from one state to the next, versus just applying for a new one in another state. I know that's a question on the PA application, and I believe it's easier to finish the process if you already have one in another state.

Also not sure off-hand, I'd have to look it up, but - is KY reciprocal or at-least honor a TN permit? that would pretty much solve your problem there too.

Go to your state Attorney Generals website and see if TN has reciprocity with KY.
    Member of the National Rifle Association's Board of Directors
    www.BuckeyeFirearms.org Buckeye Firearms Association Central OH Chair
    NRA Instructor/CCW Instructor/Realtor
    2009 NRA Sybil Ludington Women's Freedom Award Recipient

Yes, TN has reciprocity with KY. I've been able to legally carry when I go to KY each weekend to preach at my church. My concern is if my TN permit becomes invalidated upon terminating my residency in this state or, if I would be able to still carry using the TN permit since, when we move, I'll still have the better part of 2 years left on it.

I will look into the transferral issue, like you stated about PA. Thanks

VIP Member
    You might want to consider getting a New Hampshire Non-Resident permit. It costs $20, is good for 4 years, valid in Kentucky, and only requires filling out the form and sending copy of your TN permit.

http://www.nh.gov/safety/nhsp/plupr.html
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

I had the same question regarding our move to TX. Contacted the TX Attorney General's office via email, they were very helpful. Maybe Kentucky's AG would be as accommodating.

Turns out our AZ permits would cover us as residents of TX. But, some states won't honor a permit if it's not issued by your state of residence.

Check This One Out...

carefully.
    Do they honor permits if you no longer live in the state of your permit?
    Make sure that you do it the 'right way'...not worth losing the ability to CCW.

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    Be careful, some states that will recognize an out-of-state permit, or a non-resident permit from a visitor won't recognize the same for a resident. Arizona is one such... if you live in Arizona you have to have an Arizona permit.

Some states also have a minimum time you have to live in the state before applying, but some of these waive that for those who have CHLs from other states.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Links