SCAM! Over 600 Ohio weapons permits invalid

This is a discussion on SCAM! Over 600 Ohio weapons permits invalid within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Fake training puts hundreds of concealed-carry licenses in jeopardy | The Columbus Dispatch More than 600 licenses allowing gun owners to carry concealed weapons in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: SCAM! Over 600 Ohio weapons permits invalid

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar

SCAM! Over 600 Ohio weapons permits invalid

Fake training puts hundreds of concealed-carry licenses in jeopardy | The Columbus Dispatch

More than 600 licenses allowing gun owners to carry concealed weapons in the Columbus area are invalid because three men issued falsified training certificates to the applicants, Franklin County Sheriff Zach Scott said.
    A months-long undercover investigation by the sheriff's office has resulted in felony charges against the men and 613 letters being sent to the people who obtained the certificates, which are required to apply for concealed-carry licenses.
    Scott told The Columbus Dispatch that more licenses could be affected as the investigation continues.
    Scott said that his office began its probe in April and used undercover agents to buy illicit training certificates from the operation, which relied heavily on word of mouth.

The men arrested in the case were identified as 42-year-old Adam Chaykin of Columbus, 48-year-old Ken Fouch of Columbus and 62-year-old John Marshall of Madison Township. Each has been charged with one count of complicity to falsification to obtain a concealed-carry permit.

They could face up to a year in prison and a $2,500 fine if convicted. All three men have posted bond.
    Employment records show that Fouch is a Franklin County court security officer.
    Marshall, a certified firearms instructor, sold signed training certificates to Chaykin and Fouch, Scott said.
    He said that Chaykin and Fouch, who aren't trained firearms teachers, conducted sessions that also fell far short of the required training, which includes at least 10 hours of class time and two hours of range time. In some cases, they conducted no training at all but provided the certificates for $200 to $300.

Most of those who got the certificates live in Franklin County but some are from neighboring areas.
    "Some of these people were probably duped," Scott said. Others, he suspects, "knew they were being shady."
    Those who receive letters from the sheriff's office will have two weeks to respond and show proof that they have taken the proper amount of training to carry concealed weapons. If they don't, their licenses will be revoked and they could be charged with providing false information on their applications.

Through the first quarter of this year, more concealed-carry licenses have been issued in Franklin County than any other county in the state. Nearly 18,300 such licenses were issued since they first became valid in 2004.
    Combined, Cleveland's Cuyahoga County and Cincinnati's Hamilton County have issued about 20,000 licenses in that same time period.
    Scott's office issued about 3,500 licenses last year, the most ever and a 12 percent increase from 2010.

2. Remove Ads

Greed is an evil thing, and the soul of man is week..
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Why would anybody just want to pay for a license without getting the training that they paid for.
    You do not know, what you do not know, until you realize that you do not know it

Quote Originally Posted by HKinNY View Post
    Why would anybody just want to pay for a license without getting the training that they paid for.
    - It's the same people who don't carry with one in the chamber.

On a serious note, a possible one year in prison doesn't seem long enough.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    It's the time old adage; Money is the root of all evil.

Or better, the lack of money is the root of all evil.

VIP Member
    Personally I think they should be charged for each and every fake training certificate they issued (600+ certificates divided by 3 defendants, 200+ counts each, for a possible 200 years each. Plus $500,000 in fines). Anyone who "bought" their training should be charged as well with 1 count.
    OldVet, Rock and Glock and sid1 like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Senior Moderator
    Actually, money is not the root of all evil.

It's "the love of money is the root of all evil".

Big difference there.
    CJM, ep1953, Gunnutty and 1 others like this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

HG You beat me to the post
    Gunnutty likes this.
    You do not know, what you do not know, until you realize that you do not know it

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    Vermont has a foolproof system that completely eliminates the possibility of fraudulent concealed carry permits.
    Doodle, CJM and nerdyvirgin like this.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Greed is an evil thing, and the soul of man is week..
    "weak"
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by HKinNY View Post
    Maybe some of the people who bought these were already quite familiar with handguns and just didn't want to spend 10 hours out of their day in a class.

Sent from my palm device.. so please excuse any typos.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    - It's the same people who don't carry with one in the chamber.

On a serious note, a possible one year in prison doesn't seem long enough.
    Oh no.

There may be a few "innocent" victims, but when I was looking for classes, I was well aware of the requirements. I heard of some that were less than 12 hours, and I'll admit that my hubby and son were less than thrilled that the class I chose took 13 hours (including travel to and from the range). Needless to say, they're thanking me now. ;)
    "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" ~ Paul Harvey

Administrator
    I'm certain that I'm going to draw some fire for this but, part of the outrage here is that 10 hours of training and 2 hours of range time are necessary in the first place.
    Where does it state that in the OHIO Constitution?

Oh...I'm sorry...it's Right There in the Ohio Constitution. How could I have missed it?

Right To Bear arms

The people have the right to bear arms for their defense and security; (as long as they pay for the required 10 hours of training and 2 hours of range time) but standing armies, in time of peace, are dangerous to liberty, and shall not be kept up; and the military shall be in strict subordination to the civil power.

1.01 Inalienable Rights (1851)

All men are, by nature, free and independent, and have certain inalienable rights, among which are those of enjoying and defending life and liberty, (as long as they pay for the required 10 hours of training and 2 hours of range time) acquiring, possessing, and protecting property, and seeking and obtaining happiness and safety.
    Doodle, CJM and jumpwing like this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    I'm certain that I'm going to draw some fire for this but, part of the outrage here is that 10 hours of training and 2 hours of range time are necessary in the first place.
    Where does it state that in the OHIO Constitution?

Oh...I'm sorry...it's Right There in the Ohio Constitution. How could I have missed it?

Right To Bear arms

The people have the right to bear arms for their defense and security; (as long as they pay for the required 10 hours of training and 2 hours of range time) but standing armies, in time of peace, are dangerous to liberty, and shall not be kept up; and the military shall be in strict subordination to the civil power.

1.01 Inalienable Rights (1851)

All men are, by nature, free and independent, and have certain inalienable rights, among which are those of enjoying and defending life and liberty, (as long as they pay for the required 10 hours of training and 2 hours of range time) acquiring, possessing, and protecting property, and seeking and obtaining happiness and safety.
    You'll get no fire from me. That's EXACTLY the reason hubby and son didn't feel the need, but alas, rules are rules and I'll just leave it at that, so as not to take the topic elsewhere... ;)
    QKShooter likes this.
    "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" ~ Paul Harvey

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links