Lasers

This is a discussion on Lasers within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; V-fib, I believe most citizen confrontations are not in low light. Might want to do some research on this subject. Bruce, Nothing has changed in ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lasers

Misconceptions

V-fib, I believe most citizen confrontations are not in low light. Might want to do some research on this subject.

Bruce, Nothing has changed in the last 10 years--just more product for more guns. Same power, regulated by GVT.

My black poodle Cindy Lou, does not have a gun pointed at her, just my laser pointer I use when teaching classes.

Yes, Heard Ken was doing a class on lasers at IALEFI this year at Dayton. Was signed up to go but wife had surgery three days before class, so I canceled.
    Was looking forward to the ATC, have not been to one in about 10 years. Attended several RTCs at Dayton, always a good group.

Very familiar with pricing in GVT facilities, retired in 1970. Problem is most batteries do not fail do to use, they fail do to inadvertent use. You only find out when they are dead.

Yes, training is a key, but the vast majority of handgun owners do not train at all.

Bruce, v-fib and others, If you consider them a viable alternative, have at it. That is what freedom of choice is all about.

2. Remove Ads

Originally posted by spacemanspiff
    someone mentioned not wanting to give away a position via a \'laser line\'?

correct me if i\'m wrong, but isnt that \'line'a hollywood gimmick? the lasers i\'ve seen only have a visible beam when there is something for them to pass through, such as steam, fog, etc.
    if the air is clear, you only see the origin and the destination, right?
    Well, depends on actual lighting levels and what is hanging in the air. I often begin my evening practice as the sun is beginning to set. I like to get in an hour or so of good daylight practice with iron sights, then start with the laser when daylight begins to weaken and the dot shows on targets easily.

When daylight is weakening but still very much there the only manifestation of the laser is the dot on target, but after it is good and dark and you have stirred up some dust with shots fired (dusty and dry in West Texas) you can see dust motes illuminated along the laser path.

But this should not be a significant factor in a defensive gun use because once shots are fired the incident would generally be over so fast no one will have time to \"hold\" a laser line motionless.

personally, i\'d like to have a laser sight on a handgun, but not my carry piece. maybe one that stays at home.
    This is always the point of view expressed by those who have no real experience with good laser sights.

Please don\'t get me wrong, I do NOT recommend lasers for what is going to be a primary sighting system. One must ALWAYS train hard with and master iron sights and good defensive handgun shooting skills, but the laser has several extremely useful aspects that complement good shooting skills.

For older folks whose eyes lose the ability to focus on sights and target at the same time, for shooting accurately from awkward positions (injured/wounded or from behind cover as in \"lead with your laser not with your face\") real benefits abound.

Bruce Foreman

Originally posted by APachon
    nightHawk, so I called up to Front Sight and lasers are not allowed for qual classes such as the CCW class. They would like their incoming students to refrain from using lasers while on the range as well. They have mixed feelings and do see the practicality of them but they obviate the student from learning fundamental mental skills.

Wife and I are coordinating our schedule to take the 2 day handgun course and lasers are frowned upon.

In addition, no certifying instructor in NV is allowed to sign off on a initial or re-qual if the pistol in question is equipped with a Laser sighting acquisition device.

~A
    I don\'t think most of the schools allow them. I left my 1911\'s with CTC Lasergips in the bag at Thunder Ranch and shot their class with plain \"vanilla\" Glocks.

Didn\'t care to be embarassed by Clint looking my way and muttering,

\"Doodads\"

I was there to learn it \"their way\".

Bruce Foreman

Originally posted by nighthawk
    randyb, that is a good topic. I just bought a Nighthawk Enforcer 1911 with only the front sight with tritium. After initially being sceptical I actually like it better than the front and rear sight being tritium. It forces me to look at the front sight like your supposed to. I noticed I was much more accurate today while quail hunting.
    Don\'t tell me you were hunting quail with your .45?!!:O If you were. :D

DC Founder
    Originally posted by randyb
    Don\'t tell me you were hunting quail with your .45?!!:O If you were. :D
    You obviously don\'t know nighthawk personally :P

KC 135,

It always strikes me funny that people with no experience with a product are experts with the product. What type of laser do you have on your firearm? If youíre comparing a laser pointer to a CT product then you might want to do some research on the subject.

And yes, most confrontations Iíve had with low lifeís have been in low light situations. Fortunately Iíve never had to draw my gun, but if I did I want the advantage. A laser-equipped handgun allows you to have much more situational awareness than the tunnel vision of staring down a sight. There are many defensive situations which unfortunately you canít do this and the laser IMO gives me an advantage.

Bruce, lots of good insights.

And hey KC thanks for your permission for me to ďhave at it.Ē

v-fib

Done considerable testing with lasers, and my conclusions remain the same. Funny, I do not know you, yet you assume to know what I have done.

DC Founder
    Again, everyone take a deep breath. Everyone has their opinions and things that work for them. Some people swear by one thing while others swear against it. :exclaim:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links