have you ever actually had anyone see the printing of a J-frame/LCR?

This is a discussion on have you ever actually had anyone see the printing of a J-frame/LCR? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is NOT a revolver VS semi question, I've been hearing those arguements for 30 years. My question is whether any of you have ever ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: have you ever actually had anyone see the printing of a J-frame/LCR?

This is NOT a revolver VS semi question, I've been hearing those arguements for 30 years.

My question is whether any of you have ever actually had anyone see the printing or bulge of a small frame revolver why trying to be concealed and discrete?

The reason I ask is I am currently carrying a P3AT in a Ramora pocket holster IWB in appendix position. It feels great and disappears well.

However for a myriad or reasons I am wanting to upgrade to a small frame airweight revolver in 38 +p. The biggest thing that held me back from getting a revolver in the first place is the width/bulk of the cylinder and my biggest concern now is how well a j-frame would conceal with summer time dress. I am 5'10" and 180lbs so it's not like I am a big guy that can stash anything on my frame.

My question is whether anyone has ever actually had someone see the printing of a j-frame in the real world or whether my concern is just another one of my many OCDs that have no foundation in reality.

Maybe I can sum it up this way, Does the added width of a revolver actually make it less concealable than a similar sized and powered semi in actual practice or are they all as well concealed in reality?

Quote Originally Posted by oldshirt View Post
    Maybe I can sum it up this way, Does the added width of a revolver actually make it less concealable than a similar sized and powered semi in actual practice or are they all as well concealed in reality?
    That depends on many things....mainly you and how you conceal. Anything can be concealed effectively so long as you make it a priority to do so. Holsters, position of carry, clothing, etc. You alone either make it or break it for what it is. Revolvers are still a very effective means for SD even concealed. My personal take on this would be the need for comfort where you carry and how you do it. Me? Never contemplated a revolver for carry myself for my own reasons. Remember....carry demands changes in your life.............every aspect of your life if you decide to do it full time. Nobody can tell you what can be done or what's impossible. You can listen to opinions all day long......but they are others opinions. Figure out why you asked the question first....then feel confident in what you are doing. Your mind is the most powerful thing you have at your disposal. You already have a holster for that and know the best place to carry it. Freebies are always good!

J frame cylinder is not a problem...

Quote Originally Posted by oldshirt View Post
    Does the added width of a revolver actually make it less concealable than a similar sized and powered semi in actual practice or are they all as well concealed in reality?
    You talked about carrying a J frame revolver in appendix position and whether the cylinder bulge affects concealability compared to a small semiauto of similar size. I have carried both types in appendix position, and I can see no difference in concealability. The J frame cylinder bulge is rather minor, and the revolver has the advantage of a slimmer barrel and grip area than the semiauto. Additionally, the revolver has a more curved and streamlined shape than a semiauto, so it is less likely to be outlined on your clothing than the sharp corners of a semiauto.

The photo below of a J frame next to a small Kahr illustrates this point. Notice in the following picture of a J frame in an appendix holster that the cylinder is well concealed by the holster itself, blurring its outline.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    99% of people are not looking at you.[ no offense] 1%-- me[ not trying come off like mall ninja I'm always looking] and others that CC are looking all the time you don't have to worry about the 1%. Let me add I could be looking at a cell phone LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Once View Post
    99% of people are not looking at you.[ no offense] 1%-- me[ not trying come off like mall ninja I'm always looking] and others that CC are looking all the time you don't have to worry about the 1%. Let me add I could be looking at a cell phone LOL
    This is kind of what I was wondering. When I first started carrying I felt like the whole world staring at me and feared the the moment someone made me that alarm sirens would start going off. As I've gotten more used to carrying that paranoia has died down of course but I do still have concerns about someone knowing (or even suspecting) that I am carrying. I want to be pretty much 100% discrete and under the radar ( I do have a valid permit and legally carry, I just want to be completely discrete)

I realize that LCPs/P3ATs etc are smaller objects so they will be 'more' concealable. I guess my question is, is a j-frame concealable "enough"? By that I mean can a j-frame sized revolver by concealed enough that no normal person (or LEO for that matter) will know or suspect that I am armed?

My hairdresser who I've been going to for 5 years had no Idea I carried a 1911 Commander OWB under a shirt until I brought up being able to defend herself and she asked if I carry a gun,when she took the sheet off she said oh yea I can see now,that was sitting down and somebody was looking,otherwise nobody notices
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array Haywood's Avatar
    I carry my SP101 AIWB and a LCR357 in my off hand pocket every day. No one has ever Questioned me. For 3 years I worked in a Coffee Shop and served a lot of Police Officers. One time a Officer told me my Speed Loaders were showing. It seams my shirt was too short. I got rid of that shirt and it never happened again.

Nope, I've never noticed a snubnose. I have seen people printing pretty bad with other guns.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

I've carried a S&W 442 in a Simply Rugged pocket holster for a couple of years now. Cargo pants, shorts, blue jeans and sweat pants, it's pretty unnoticeable. My keys and Swiss army knife in my left front pocket create more visible bulge than my snubbie.

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar
    I'm very anal about not printing, just because.
    My typical carry is a Glock 27/33 appendix IWB in a FIST kydex clip-on holster.
    If restricted to a tucked in shirt, then a Kel-Tec P3AT 380 in pocket could still be a constant companion.

Now to answer your question, of all the options I can think of that would be carried IWB, a J-frame with a Baramihi hip grip is the most print resistant.
    Barami Hip Grip Concealed Pistol Revolver

I use to carry my pre-internal lock S&W J-frame with the Baramihi hip-grip with a Tyler T grip adapter plus a small piece of bicycle tube over the combo for better grip: my j-frame carried in this manner was extremely print resistant, basically a non-issue, even to my picky standard.

S&W4421.jpg
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

For me personally I revolver carried IWB conceals a LOT better than a semi. However, In the pocket that's not the case. A p3at in my pocket conceals better than my J-frame.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

I carry the S&W Airweight in a pocket holster in the right front pocket of my cargo pants quite often. I don't think it shows, and no on has ever said othewise. I agree that most people really aren't looking for the imprint of a firearm.

I carry a S&W 642 or 637 in a Bianchi leather pocket holster (Bianchi Pro 158) everyday. The only time it comes out is at the post office, court house or when I drive through Illinois to get to my grandchildren in St. Louis. Nobody has ever noticed the weapon. I have even stood and talked to LEO buddies and they have never figured it out that I am armed. I am 69 years old and I wear my pants loose so there is no "pegged pants printing" involved. I have tried several different pieces for carry in various modes (Glocks, 1911s, BERSA, etc.) and I find that the S&W J-Frame in a good pocket holster is the easiest to conceal. I have found the soft leather of the BIANCHI lends to better body conformity than the nylon holsters.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

Printing

I have 2 carry guns: A 642 j frame, and a COlt Mustang 380 (Very simular to a Sig 238)
    I choose which one, based on the maror of dress and where I am going to (threat level).
    I wear shorts most oif the time. I also choose bewteen an IWB and pocket holster.
    The Mustang conceals better in a pocket and vevn in dress pants. The 642 and the mustang boat conceal well in the IWB. I have a couple of Hawaiian shirts, and some golf style shirts. I am a bit overweight, and my shirts are big for that reason.
    I have carried simce 1970. I was skinny then, and my work dress was a craftsman uniform in dark blue. I had a model 36 then with a pocket holster. I carried my wallet in the left front pocket and the gun in the right side. Never been made as carrying. (And that was in upstate NY.)
    My business was 2 way radio repair. We had a lot of LEO customers, and I have seen them print. If a guy came into the shop wearing a cheap suit with a buldge at his right hip, it was a cop....

So, for concealment, buy a holster that fits your lifestyle and don't worry about it.

Saw an old guy in the store once with a small revolver in his back pocket. Looked to me like he carried it there daily for a while and didn't give a damn who saw it. Probably one of those guys with a couple of grand in his front pocket with a rubber band wrapped around it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links