Another, "have you ever actually...?" question. external hammers?

This is a discussion on Another, "have you ever actually...?" question. external hammers? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK and while we're at it, I have another, "have you ever actually...? question. Have you ever actually snagged an external hammer while trying to ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Another, "have you ever actually...?" question. external hammers?

Another, "have you ever actually...?" question. external hammers?

OK and while we're at it, I have another, "have you ever actually...? question. Have you ever actually snagged an external hammer while trying to draw the weapon?

It makes sense that a gun without an external hammer will not snag a hammer that's not there, but my question is, in actual practice in the real world, have people actually been having that happen? Have you or anyone you have talked to first hand ever had a hammer snag and were unable to draw the weapon effectively?

Are hammerless and shrouded hammer guns a true advantage over a gun with a hammer or is it more of a marketing feature rather than a true tactical advantage?

It doesn't seem like it would take a lot of training and practice to place your thumb on the hammer as you draw and keep it from snagging on anything (you don't actually have to cock the hammer on drawing it if you are concerned about an AD in single action mode)

Any thoughts or experiences you can share?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    With enough training, any obstacle can be overcome.
    Ram Rod, CJM and BkCo1 like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    No, I haven't but most of my carry guns are hammerless

I prefer hammerless for pocket carry (jacket or pants, with a pocket holster) as a hammer revolver tended to hang up. And hanging up once is once to much. All of the hammer equipped revolvers I carried in either a strong side pancake style or a duty holster.

While you could cover the hammer on the draw, then you have to also establish a proper grip before firing.

KSP
    I have a 442, lcr, and model 36. I've noticed that the model 36 will occasionally snag when (practice) drawing from a pocket. And when it snags, it really snags. I can draw with my thumb kind of blocking but it feels unnatural. For iwb I haven't really noticed a problem. I still pocket carry the model 36, though. I just love those steel j frames.

Distinguished Member
    My external hammer pistols are all 1911-style actions and are carried condition-1, so the hammer is nestled nicely in the top of the beaver tail. So far no snags or deployment issues of any kind. As mentioned above, practice can overcome any such issues/concerns.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

I'm good with anything I carry. I've got one with external hammer, and it makes not a hill of beans to me. Again.......carry changes your life........also how you think about certain things. Get out of the black and white concept, or the pros and cons ordeal. You either find what you can work with or find something that works with you. I'm here to tell you working with what you have is easier in the long run. It's just how willing you are to adapt to change for your own benefit.
    Carrying a weapon sure beats not carrying a weapon wouldn't you say? These days.................... So why would you want to speculate or narrow things down through anyone else' opinions? Whenever you ask questions......you're questioning yourself. In this world you have to grow up quickly. Forget about what everyone else has done and make your own road. Then you can ask directions for the shortcut.
    sigmanluke likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    So why would you want to speculate or narrow things down through anyone else' opinions? Whenever you ask questions......you're questioning yourself. In this world you have to grow up quickly. Forget about what everyone else has done and make your own road. Then you can ask directions for the shortcut.
    Actually I wasn't asking for people's opinions, I was asking for people's actual real-world experiences..two completely different things. Sometimes things just become legend and conventional wisdom but don't actually play out in real world practice. I agree with you that a person's opinion is often basically only worth the bandwidth it's printed on but that person's first-hand, real world experience is quite valuable.

My question was has anyone actually had an external hammer snag upon drawing the weapon. some have said yes. That is valuable information. That shows that hammer-snag is a real issue that needs to be addressed whether through training, carrying method, clothing or using a hammerless weapon.

I agree completely with the rest of your post and if I do choose a revolver with an EH (which I do like having the option of having the single action mode when I want it) I will work to adapt my system to allow for it. I was just wondering if hammer-snag was a real-world issue or whether it was just marketing hype from the manufacturers. Sounds like it can be a real issue but one that can be adapted to and overcome with awareness and practice.

VIP Member
    Once with a jacket pocket----it was not a draw, just getting it out of there.
    Never from trousers.

VIP Member
    Carrying a revolver with a hammer in a pocket without a holster is the only time this was ever an issue. Everything else has been carried in a holster
    BurgerBoy and Koukimonsta like this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

My revolvers are carried in holsters on a belt. When I draw them I automatically place my finger on the hammer as I draw the revolver. Doing that prevents any issues because I am properly gripping my firearms as I draw. I am also moving any clothing out of the way at that time as well.

VIP Member
    I had a jacket sleeve jet get jammed between the hammer and the beavertail while firing, rendering the pistol totally inoperative. I bought and began carrying a Glock the following day.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    With enough training, any obstacle can be overcome.
    Until something one can't train for happens. See my previous post.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

sgb
    .................... no
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links