The .22 pistol and round for self defense...My take on it. - Page 2

The .22 pistol and round for self defense...My take on it.

This is a discussion on The .22 pistol and round for self defense...My take on it. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I haven't run into any duds in my 22lr history. I can empty a 10 round clip from my Walther P22 in 2 or 3 ...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: The .22 pistol and round for self defense...My take on it.

I haven't run into any duds in my 22lr history. I can empty a 10 round clip from my Walther P22 in 2 or 3 seconds. That has a little stopping power I would think...however in the interest of full disclosure I do carry a 38 special. If 32 ammo were readily available I would carry a 32 revolver with HP

On the brown bear...I hope I can out run one of the folks with me. If the bear were attacking my tent it is probably already too late unless I am sleeping with my 30 30 at the ready.

If the bear climbs up the tree after you it is a black bear...if the bear shakes the tree until you fall out it is a brown bear!

VIP Member
    While the .22 will give the BG something to think about. The biggest problem is reliability. Rimfire ammo is notorious for FTF's. I want something that when the hammer drops, I know it's going to go BANG.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by stanislaskasava View Post
    .22 LR is a horrible choice for self-defense, if for no other reason than the fact that rimfire primers are very unreliable. Centerfire calibers should be used for self-defense. An average box of .22 LR has a whole handful of duds in it.
    I hear this all the time, but in tens of thousands of .22 LR rounds I've still never had failure to fire. I must be uber lucky.
    tricolordad and Sig35seven like this.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

I carried a Charter Arms Pathfinder in .22 for years. I could not afford anything else. I got real good with it. With a revolver if you get a dud, which you hardly ever get with premium ammo, you just keep pulling the trigger. Beats finding a rock to throw.
    10thmtn likes this.
    Semper Fi
    "Marines don't surrender-they win or die." from Brute

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    My preference is that more people carry; I don't particularly care what type or what caliber. To each, his (her) own.
    tacman605 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    I hear this all the time, but in tens of thousands of .22 LR rounds I've still never had failure to fire. I must be uber lucky.
    I've had a few, I've also had a few factory centerfires go dud. I've only had two reloads not fire, and I've shot more reloads (far more) than factory since 1975.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

.22 LR is a horrible choice for self-defense, if for no other reason than the fact that rimfire primers are very unreliable. Centerfire calibers should be used for self-defense. An average box of .22 LR has a whole handful of duds in it.
    Cite your sources please...and what box are you speaking of? The box you left in your damp basement for 10 years? I have yet to find a dud in any box I've bought and taken to the range, even with the cheap crap Federal from Wal-Mart. Carry whatever you feel comfortable with. If you have a .22 handgun and you can put the entire magazine into the target and you feel comfortable carrying it, then do so. Caliber doesn't matter as much as some would lead you to believe.

just my 2 cents. when i am kicking around on the farm, at home, usually have a 22 buckmark, and an extra magazine, most times a 10/22 on fourwheeler, buti think if you were 15 feet away i could place 10 shots where i wanted them, and pretty darn fast, and if that does not stop you.....well, that is gonna stop you...a 22 is nothing to be sneezed at, propably more people killed with a 22 that a 40 caliber or a 38, maybe should do a little research on this.......but with that said, if i am out, away from home, i usually have my 38 airweight, or a 40 or 45 , but would not be scared to defend myself with a 22 either..... sure would beat throwin sticks or being a victim....
    tricolordad and RichB70 like this.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

I asked my stock broker the other day, what I should be investing in ....his reply, canned goods n ammo !!!

I am not advocating a .22 for defense unles that is all you have or can fire but your statement of the reliability of .22 ammo is way off base unles you have some info you would like to share with us.

We use CCI mini mag (#0030) in our 10/22's and Mark III's and Neos. Out of 10's of thousands of rounds fired I can not remember when we had a primer striker failure.
    tricolordad likes this.

What do think about 22WMR?
    “Well, I'm all broken up over that man's rights!” - Harry Callahan

Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    What brand of ammo are you using? Just today I fired over about 130 rounds of Remington Thunderbolts 22s and I must had at least 8 FTF and 4 FTE! I guess I must be unlucky!

“Independence is my happiness, and I view things as they are, without regard to place or person; my country is the world, and my religion is to do good.” Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by BlueHawk76 View Post
    What brand of ammo are you using? Just today I fired over about 130 rounds of Remington Thunderbolts 22s and I must had at least 8 FTF and 4 FTE! I guess I must be unlucky!
    I know, not addressed to me but we fire a brick every week..at least of CCI mini mag. CCI #0030. Feeds our Mark III's and 10/22's with no problems. Sometimes the NEOS has a FTE but I think that is the gun more than the ammo. Either way it works for us.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueHawk76 View Post
    You should check the overall health of your weapon. If you dry fire for practice that could explain the FTF. Thunderbolts are some of my favorites as far as .22lr goes. I've never had a hiccup, did have a FTE once, but it was the extractor.

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    I am 57 years old & started shooting .22's at the age of 5. So Its good to hear that some shooters have fired thousands of .22 rimfires with no dud's. Ihave bad luck I guess 'cause I still get a .22 LR dud from time to time, not a common as it was in my youth but it still happens to me anyway.

Speaking of such I went to fire off all of my Fed. 9mm 115 grain +P+ I had been carrinying in my Kahr K9 for the last month & the round in the chamber went "click"! Went off on the second try but still a very bad feeling. The only Failure to Fire I have ever had in that kahr & have only put 2000 rounds or so through it so far.

Also had one Failure to fire through my 9mm Browning High Power this year. Well the primer fired & the bullet stuck in the bore this was with Fed. 115 gtain FMJ Walley World Stuff.

Guess what I'm trying to say is shoot enough & a missfires will show up from time to time centerfire or rimfire.

Ammo is getting better though.

Administrator
    Lets try to keep it all based in fact and not fiction. An average box of .22 does not have a whole handful of duds in it.

I used to shoot up a whole heckova lot of .22 RF (AKA MANY multitudes of thousands) and in my lifetime I have had as many "duds" as I have fingers on my right hand if even that many.

I once shot up 2,000 rounds of .22 Rimfire ammo that was over 25-30 years old and stored in a hot barn without a single failure to fire.

suntzu and tricolordad like this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links