The .22 pistol and round for self defense...My take on it.

This is a discussion on The .22 pistol and round for self defense...My take on it. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm not saying that it's not possible to have a whole handful of duds in one box of .22 RF but, if you do then ...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: The .22 pistol and round for self defense...My take on it.

Administrator
    I'm not saying that it's not possible to have a whole handful of duds in one box of .22 RF but, if you do then you need to check your firearm for light strikes - a damaged firing pin or a deformation of the barrel metal at the firing pin strike area due to the the .22 having been extensively dry fired.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

2. Remove Ads

As far as stopping the bull rush a 22 probably isn't the best choice. My brother has a 22 semi that holds 12 rounds. He emptied it in what seemed like a few seconds and put all the rounds in about a 6 inch spread. That would be pretty effective against a BG. I would also think that a greater portion of the time simply drawing and shooting at the BG will change his attitude and make him look for an easier target.

The only duds I have personally experienced have been with bulk packs of .22 ammo. So yes, if you are going to use a .22 handgun for defense - get a revolver.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

If you use match ammo like ELY or Federal Match .22 you eliminate the dud problem with .22's. Confidence in what you are carrying, acquired through practice and personal conviction will allow you to defeat the bad guy, be it .22 or 9mm (which has been known to over-penetrate if correct ammo is not used). Actually seen several wemen on firing line shooting .45's and most say it was easier than the 9mm because the 9 has much more whip on the recoil. A good shotgun in 12ga generally trumps anything at home that a pistol would provide, until you get to rifle calibers, like an AK or something...Not a big fan of AR15's or M16's as they have double feed ramps and tend to jam...a lot. An old rusty AK full of mud and rocks will almost always be more reliable. (Sorry to the guys that love these things-heard too many stories of them not working when they should). People with disabilities can sometimes benefit from gunsmith advice...saw an episode of Red Jacket where guy could not rack the gun slide and they added a larger cocking handle. I would suggest revolver for arthritic people-easy to open/load. If you snag the rear sights of a semi-auto on your pocket, and push down hard and quick, you can rack the slide and let it slip off when feel hit the stop, it will rack one in easy. Pocket pistols can sometimes be a bugger as well though-probably more than a few people get hurt not properly using them...just because they're too small. NAA makes a .22 that's so small you could shoot the end of your finger off if it wasn't tucked in when firing (stuff happens when the adrenalin is pumping). Practice makes perfect and a few .22 between the eyes works pretty well.

I think its a little ironic Harryball, after our discussion of the 5.7 that you now feel the .22 caliber is so woefully inadequate.

I would certainly feel very well armed with a .22 rimfire rifle. As a matter of fact, the 22 rifle is the foundation of my SHTF scenarios that we talk about.
    But, for anyone who doubts the penetration power of the 22, just do a Google search. There are videos of people shooting clear thru thick beef and turkeys wrapped in many layers of denim at 200 yards and beyond with complete penetration.

I have found the 22 very reliable, and while it is not my first choice for CQB, I would not have an issue with it to keep things at a distance.
    tacman605, Harryball and RichB70 like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stanislaskasava View Post
    .22 LR is a horrible choice for self-defense, if for no other reason than the fact that rimfire primers are very unreliable. Centerfire calibers should be used for self-defense. An average box of .22 LR has a whole handful of duds in it.
    This year alone I've shot at least 10K rounds of CCI Mini-Mags through an M&P 15-22 and I don't think any of them failed to fire
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueHawk76 View Post
    What brand of ammo are you using? Just today I fired over about 130 rounds of Remington Thunderbolts 22s and I must had at least 8 FTF and 4 FTE! I guess I must be unlucky!
    Friends don't let friends shoot Remington rimfire ammo
    BlueHawk76 likes this.

Distinguished Member
    75 rounds of 22LR at 25 yards in 30 seconds (three reloads):

M&P15-22 75rds25yds30secs.jpg

I wouldn't wanna be that target.
    BlueHawk76 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueHawk76 View Post
    What brand of ammo are you using? Just today I fired over about 130 rounds of Remington Thunderbolts 22s and I must had at least 8 FTF and 4 FTE! I guess I must be unlucky!
    Check your firearm? I use whatever, to include thunderbolts...cci mini mags..winchester...
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

My new ruger 22 takedown is my new bug out ...in its great bag...500 rounds in the pocket. (yes...I'll also have my LC9, and my LCP on me...as always)
    All men are equal...CC makes us equal-er.

With all these .22 threads, I'm really getting the itch to buy a .22 pistol.. though my Henry might get jealous.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

VIP Member
    Good topic.

I agree that in the grand scheme of things there are probably better choices than the .22 LR for self defense but if that is what you have or that is all the recoil you can handle then you make it work. Remember the firearm is a tool and you are the craftsman so you make the tool work for you the way you want it to work.

A perfect example. How many of you have used a butter knife as a screwdriver? It is not the perfect tool for the job but you made it work. Same thing here. 10-30 rounds of CCI Stinger or Mini Mags may not drop they to there knees in a death flutter but they may not want to play anymore and that is the initial goal, make the bad guy stop whatever activity he was doing that caused you to shoot him in the first place.

The advantages of a .22 in a SD scenario are the same advantages that we speak of in teaching people to shoot with it. Variety of firearms chambered for it, low recoil, low muzzle flash, high capacity and so on. Generally speaking most folks can shoot a .22 more accurately than a centerfire so shot placement should/could in theory be better.
    Multiple rounds of .22 to the head/neck area would discourage all but the most determined of people.

I would not feel undergunned if I was carrying a .22 as long as I keep in mind it limitations. I would stick to soft target areas like the face, the eye socket being ideal, the throat, groin and so on. As I have posted here before one of my bunker down and wait weapons is a GSG-5. It is a .22 copy of an MP5 subgun that I use for training. It feeds whatever I put through it, has a 30 round capacity, no recoil and low muzzle flash, what more could you ask for.
    Lory shoots well with centerfire handguns and is just plain damn good with her 238, but her favorite is my 1911 with a Kimber .22 conversion mounted. With that she can put 10 rounds into an index card size group at 7 yards in just a few seconds.

A question was asked about the .22 WMR. What the .22 LR can do it can do better. Harryball and I were saying in regards to one post about and elderly woman who had little hand strength that one of the hi cap .22 magnums may be just the ticket for her.

As I stated I agree with the OP if you have something more use it but if that is all you can handle or all you have learn to use it well and make the best of it.
    gottabkiddin likes this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Do I really need to cite sources to back up my claim that an average box of .22 LR has a whole handful of duds in it? I should point out that I meant a bulk box of 500 (which should have been obvious). And a handful is approximately 10 rounds of .22 LR -- this gives a dud rate of ≈10/500 or 1/50, and I find that to be unacceptable for self-defense purposes. I don't remember even 1 centerfire dud in all my life. I've had the same experience with a 10/22, a few target pistols, and an AR15 .22LR. Most duds have been rechambered and did not fire a second or third time, which places the blame on the ammo, not the firearms.

People might find match ammo to be more reliable, but the bullets are not jacketed, and probably the worst possible choice for self-defense. I've shot .38 Specials with no recoil at all, so it seems a solution in search of a problem, here.

I noticed no one made any mention of .22 magnum. Any thoughts???
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

VIP Member
    A question was asked about the .22 WMR. What the .22 LR can do it can do better. Harryball and I were saying in regards to one post about and elderly woman who had little hand strength that one of the hi cap .22 magnums may be just the ticket for her.

Crowman you must have missed it. Whatever the .22 LR could do the .22 mag could do better. The PM-30 (?) I think that is what it is called would be a heck of defense weapon if that is all you could handle. I think one of the only downsides would be there are not as many firearms chambered for it.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links