The .22 pistol and round for self defense...My take on it. - Page 4

The .22 pistol and round for self defense...My take on it.

This is a discussion on The .22 pistol and round for self defense...My take on it. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; a 22lr in hand is better than two 45acp back home or in the car. it has got to the point that you need to ...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: The .22 pistol and round for self defense...My take on it.

a 22lr in hand is better than two 45acp back home or in the car. it has got to the point that you need to carry something, no matter the size.
    tricolordad and RichB70 like this.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Everyone has had a "take on this"--now let me give you a slight alternative. I purchased an FN Hertzel 5.7X28 semi auto. The bullet, at 5.7mm is, in diameter, essentially a 22 with a rifle like cartridge and bullet shape. The recoil is slightly more than a 22 but very much less than any other competing calibre. The biggest differences are in lethality, velocity, accuracy, certainly low recoil, and capacity. Cost is more but IMO and that of many (others can disagree but they are fooling themselves), this "rifle pistol" firearm is the answer to any questions concerning the effectiveness of a bullet size similar to a 22.
    tricolordad likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I think its a little ironic Harryball, after our discussion of the 5.7 that you now feel the .22 caliber is so woefully inadequate.

I would certainly feel very well armed with a .22 rimfire rifle. As a matter of fact, the 22 rifle is the foundation of my SHTF scenarios that we talk about.
    But, for anyone who doubts the penetration power of the 22, just do a Google search. There are videos of people shooting clear thru thick beef and turkeys wrapped in many layers of denim at 200 yards and beyond with complete penetration.

I have found the 22 very reliable, and while it is not my first choice for CQB, I would not have an issue with it to keep things at a distance.
    Yea that, and the .223 right... We both know the more powder you put behind it the better it will be...

The .22 rifle is a good weapon. I have no argument there. The pistol on the other hand....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Quote Originally Posted by stanislaskasava View Post
    Do I really need to cite sources to back up my claim that an average box of .22 LR has a whole handful of duds in it?
    Yes.

I should point out that I meant a bulk box of 500 (which should have been obvious). And a handful is approximately 10 rounds of .22 LR -- this gives a dud rate of ≈10/500 or 1/50, and I find that to be unacceptable for self-defense purposes.
    Agreed that it's an acceptable rate. I just don't buy the percentages at all.

I don't remember even 1 centerfire dud in all my life. I've had the same experience with a 10/22, a few target pistols, and an AR15 .22LR. Most duds have been rechambered and did not fire a second or third time, which places the blame on the ammo, not the firearms.
    Umm...if the firearm is lightstriking a round, even if you rechamber the round the firearm is still lightstriking.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

I too have had duds in a box of 22's. Some time they will fire if reloaded sometime they will not. Yes, a 22 is better than no gun but when facing a 250lb druged out BG I do not want to have to empty a gun just to slow him down. So I carry a 45 when I can and a 380 loaded with good defense ammo the rest of the time. Even so, there is a nagging doubt in the back of my mind about the stopping power of the 380, much less a 22.

.22 LR is a horrible choice for self-defense, if for no other reason than the fact that rimfire primers are very unreliable. Centerfire calibers should be used for self-defense. An average box of .22 LR has a whole handful of duds in it.
    That right there is KEY. I would never trust my life on a rimfire weapon. VERY unreliable.
    Glock 20sf, Glock 19 gen4, Glock 26 gen3, Colt 1911 Series 80

REvi, Don't count on a one stop shot from a pistol to stop anyone. Keep shooting till they are down.
    Semper Fi
    "Marines don't surrender-they win or die." from Brute

I have shot plenty of .22 rimfire pistols and rifles, and own a sig mosquito and several rifles. What I find is that .22 pistols are real finicky on ammo, while my rifles will spit out anything I feed it.

If you carry a .22 pistol for defense, make sure it's as reliable as a centerfire (and even centerfires aren't 100%). The sig mosquito I own will only fire CCI Mini-mags and cheap Remmy Golden Bullets (thank goodness), but it's still not 100% reliable. For every 20 shots, I get at least 1 fte or light strike. That's not good enough.

I shot ruger mark 11's, walther 22, etc. All of them had some issues of some kind with certain ammo.

.22 WMR has more issues with semi-auto pistols. Because of their length, the slide has to travel a lot more to get a good ejection. Then there is the feed issue with a long shell casing at the same time. They are notorious with jamming. Go with a revolver.

Though it is personal choice of what to carry, a good quality .22 pistol cost as much as a good quality 9mm or even .380 Yes you save more money on ammo and thus more range time, the trade off in a life or death situation isn't worth it, IMHO. My sig mosquito cost me $330. A ruger LC9 can be had for $325.

My SR9C has very little recoil, but that slide is hard to rack without firm grip. My wife has trouble racking it. One would think that a LC9 would be good, but the kick on it is too snappy for her wrist making it uncomfortable for her to shoot even 6 rounds. She actually carries a ruger P95DC. A pistol much bigger than my SR9C, but has managable recoil, and the slide on that thing is butter smooth and racks easy.

Yet, a .22 pistol is better than nothing. If that's all one can handle due to physical limitation, then carry that.

.22 LR is a horrible choice for self-defense, if for no other reason than the fact that rimfire primers are very unreliable. Centerfire calibers should be used for self-defense. An average box of .22 LR has a whole handful of duds in it.

BINGO!!

The 22 is a great round, when it fires.

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Everyone has had a "take on this"--now let me give you a slight alternative. I purchased an FN Hertzel 5.7X28 semi auto. The bullet, at 5.7mm is, in diameter, essentially a 22 with a rifle like cartridge and bullet shape. The recoil is slightly more than a 22 but very much less than any other competing calibre. The biggest differences are in lethality, velocity, accuracy, certainly low recoil, and capacity. Cost is more but IMO and that of many (others can disagree but they are fooling themselves), this "rifle pistol" firearm is the answer to any questions concerning the effectiveness of a bullet size similar to a 22.
    In my post I only mentioned the .22 long rifle. The 5.7 and 5.56 were not mentioned for a reason.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

FYI:Family just shot 1000 rounds .22 LR CCI mini mag (#0030). 1000 rounds down range...no probs. Beretta Neos, Hunter Mark III and 2 10/22's

My wife won’t shoot anything other than a 22.. So I keep her Ruger 10/22 loaded for her to use for home defense...
    The way I see it is a BD would have to be really stupid/drug crazy to keep coming, when the alarm is screaming, and the lady who is home, has fired a round already in their direction.

And that is regardless what caliber it is.

As to carrying a 22 for defense? No thanks... But then again I’d rather have a 22 than a brick.

Quote Originally Posted by tricolordad View Post
    You should check the overall health of your weapon. If you dry fire for practice that could explain the FTF. Thunderbolts are some of my favorites as far as .22lr goes. I've never had a hiccup, did have a FTE once, but it was the extractor.
    Tricolordad, I was using a Sig P229 9mm with a 22 conversion kit. It was my first time using the conversion kit. I do, however, practice dry firing with the 9mm barrel.

“Independence is my happiness, and I view things as they are, without regard to place or person; my country is the world, and my religion is to do good.” Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    I know, not addressed to me but we fire a brick every week..at least of CCI mini mag. CCI #0030. Feeds our Mark III's and 10/22's with no problems. Sometimes the NEOS has a FTE but I think that is the gun more than the ammo. Either way it works for us.
    Thanks, I will give the CCI mini mag #0030 a try.

“Independence is my happiness, and I view things as they are, without regard to place or person; my country is the world, and my religion is to do good.” Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    Check your firearm? I use whatever, to include thunderbolts...cci mini mags..winchester...
    What should I check? I was using a relatively new Sig P229 9mm (about 500 rounds in it) with a brand new 22 conversion kit. It was my first time using the conversion kit when I had the FTFs and FTEs with the Thunderbolts.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links