The .22 pistol and round for self defense...My take on it.

This is a discussion on The .22 pistol and round for self defense...My take on it. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yes it did! Just proves the point that you need to know your weapon and be proficient with it....

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: The .22 pistol and round for self defense...My take on it.

Yes it did! Just proves the point that you need to know your weapon and be proficient with it.

2. Remove Ads

While I agree that bigger is better, I can tell you that many years ago....um actually a couple decades now..when I was doing clinical rotations in a DC ER I saw several people incapacitated and in fact devastated by 22's. I also saw people shot with 38's and 9mm that did not know, or at least act like they were shot. I saw many people who were shot with larger weapons that had to be handcuffed because they were still a threat. I think thre are a lot of factors involved beyond the size of the weapon.

VIP Member
    1 shot with a .22 worked for him.

Yes it did in this circumstance but you have to figure out in advance what is outcome that you want in the end.

If the ultimate result you are looking for is to make the bad guy quit what he is doing and leave then this worked fine. If your goal is to leave the bad guy laying on the floor deceased or hurt so bad he could not continue this would be labeled a failure. The OP reminded everyone the difference between lethality and incapacitation to that we can add an end to the event.

Yes a .22 can be lethal. Yes a .22 can incapacitate. Yes the .22 can end an event there are simply better choices out there but if it is all you got or all you can handle you make it work. Shot placement will be the key. Go for soft spots face, neck, groin. Cause pain to the point that he does not want to play anymore or mechanically break him where he cannot play.
    RichB70 and OD* like this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon View Post
    .22 is better than being unarmed.
    ....and hypervelocity solids are MUCH better than misses or harsh language. Small holes in the right places are better than ineffective hits to non-vital areas. Not as good as a larger hole, but better than no holes at all. Don't discount the fact that no one likes being shot - with anything.
    MASSIVE likes this.

I have a 22 pistol Phoenix 22 and i did have to find ammo it "liked". CCI was alot of FTF I can't remember the second brand I tried then I tried the remington golden bullet and it has fired every time (400+ rounds) one thing i do like about it is time on target there is no re-aiming after a shot just not enough kick to put you that far off target so I can do 10 rounds real quick within a few inches. I do agree with the accuracy aspect. If you can't hit a target with a larger caliper then its useless. My daughter wants her CCW in a few months and I would trust the 22 to defend her with the shoot and run like heck.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan6406 View Post
    I have a 22 pistol Phoenix 22 and i did have to find ammo it "liked". CCI was alot of FTF I can't remember the second brand I tried then I tried the remington golden bullet and it has fired every time (400+ rounds) one thing i do like about it is time on target there is no re-aiming after a shot just not enough kick to put you that far off target so I can do 10 rounds real quick within a few inches. I do agree with the accuracy aspect. If you can't hit a target with a larger caliper then its useless. My daughter wants her CCW in a few months and I would trust the 22 to defend her with the shoot and run like heck.
    Yeah I would think shot placement would make a big difference and with 22's you can afford to shoot it enough to learn how to hit a matchstick.

Thought on ammo - I've shot several ammo brands and I have less duds, less jams, and fail to feeds are nonexistent with Remington Golden Bullets. Sure CCIs would be better but if they don't go bang every time you pull the trigger you might as well throw rocks.

Goose
    "These days I go down to Wal-Mart and they sell 'em in the back.
    Some people wanna take 'em away, why don't you go bust them boys that's sellin' crack.
    Guns, whether Remingtons 'er Glocks.
    Come on man it ain't like I'm a slingin' 'em on the block." - Justin Moore

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Links