Going from a Ruger SR9C to a .357 loaded w\.38+p, for CC

This is a discussion on Going from a Ruger SR9C to a .357 loaded w\.38+p, for CC within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The .357 is a lot thicker, what in your opinion is the easiest, most comfortable, way to carry? The places in my waist band that ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Going from a Ruger SR9C to a .357 loaded w\.38+p, for CC

The .357 is a lot thicker, what in your opinion is the easiest, most comfortable, way to carry? The places in my waist band that feel comfortable, also feel less concealed. Any ideas on a holster or carry option?

Thanks

VIP Member
    Why type of .357? J-frame? or something bigger?

A lot depends on your body type. Some people like appendix carry, some like 4:00. 4:00 is much more comfortable for me.

I have a jframe, and for OWB with an untucked shirt I have found the Galco concealable belt holster at 4:00 to perform very well. With a boot grip it is very difficult to tell that I am carrying. Only if you know what to look for when I sit down will you know. And that is if you are looking...

For IWB, I use either a DeSantis summer heat or a Galco Royal Guard, but since I've acquired the OWB holster that's what I'm using most often.

I prefer AIWB, myself.

A Mr. Softy, by High Noon Holsters works well for my SP101 and my S&W 442

We need to know what kind of .357 that you're talking about to help out. If it's a lightweight like an LCR you might be able to pocket carry.

Sent from my Galaxy S2
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

A K-frame or similar-sized wheel gun is going to rate low on the comfort scale if carried IWB. That's just an edge automatics are always going to have. But don't let that deter you; with the right cover garments and a holster that keeps the gun tucked in close, you'll conceal that revolver effectively.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Why are you switching?
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by BigJon10125 View Post
    Why are you switching?
    I know this isn't a thread to bash or question your decision to switch CCWs, but why? I love my SR9c and a hot 9mm is better than a .38+P as far as velocity and energy #s go. Higher bullet weight capability? More information on why you are switching might help us give better recommendations on how you might prefer to carry.

For holsters, I think IWB with a bulky revolver would be uncomfortable but I've never tried it. If it's a little J frame, the pocket or an OWB pancake holster might be the most comfortable choice. A belly band is another choice that might be right for you. Larger framed revolvers just aren't very concealable compared to a compact to sub-compact auto like your SR9c.

Its a Rossi 461. I switched because, I've carried the sr9c for 2 years now and recently I've had to send it back several times because of ftf or fte. I need something reliable. I've practiced at the range 2 months prior to making the switch. I feel very confident with it.

I pocket carry my LCR.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rw121104 View Post
    Its a Rossi 461. I switched because, I've carried the sr9c for 2 years now and recently I've had to send it back several times because of ftf or fte. I need something reliable. I've practiced at the range 2 months prior to making the switch. I feel very confident with it.
    That is about a 26 ounce 6 shooter, so it may not fit in a regular J frame holsters. 26 ounces is about my limit for IWB, and would be a bit heavy for pocket carry. So I would consider a good OWB holster and belt that keeps it press against your body (I have found OWB's that engage the belt, and not paddles, to be more comfortable for me).

I like the choice of the revolver as well. Jams less than a Semi (it's possible, but very unlikely), and you just pull the trigger again if there is a ftf...

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    I pocket carry my LCR.
    That works for me too.
    RichB70 likes this.

Thanks for all the feed back.

I carry my 27 oz. SP101 .357 IWB at 6:00 with an untucked shirt.

I carry my J-Frame in a cross-draw mode as a BUG when needed, it's very comfortable, regular old paddle holster.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I would advise you to get a Theis IWB holster. They are very comfortable and secure. Don't buy another gun until you try this holster w/your Rossi®.
    David
    Only two defining forces have ever died for you.....
    1. Jesus Christ.
    2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, Marine, and Coast Guardsman.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom!

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

Quote Originally Posted by rw121104 View Post
    Hmm. What was Ruger's diagnosis? How many rounds did you have through it before the problems started? Did you clean out the striker channel at any point?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links