Security Theater

Security Theater

This is a discussion on Security Theater within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My family and I went to see "The Bourne Legacy" last night at the UA Colorado Center 9, on South Colorado Boulevard in Denver. No ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Security Theater

VIP Member

Security Theater

My family and I went to see "The Bourne Legacy" last night at the UA Colorado Center 9, on South Colorado Boulevard in Denver. No signs are posted so it was ok to conceal carry there (In COlorado, "no gun" signs have no force of law, but private property owners can still ban guns and ask you to leave their property). As we were handing our tickets to the ticket collector, she asked my wife and daughter to open their purses so she could inspect the insides of the purses. My wife asked her why, and she said it was for additional security since Aurora. As we were walking into our theater, I nonchalantly said to my wife, "She didn't ask to inspect me." My wife's jaw dropped as she realized that I was carrying and that the whole purse inspection was just a big show. She called it "security theater" - the movie theater wasn't really interested in providing any real security, so they were putting on a big show of checking purses.

It reminded me of a post where someone had been told they couldn't bring a folding knife into an amusement park, because a security guard had seen the knife on his belt. But the guy's wife had a folding knife in her purse and they didn't inspect her purse. Security theater attempts to make people feel better by putting on a show when, in reality, it accomplishes nothing.

We enjoyed the movie without incident.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

LOL you are correct....security theater !!!! The sheeple feel safer now. God Bless

CJM
    Our theater now has a pimply faced kid in a black polo shirt with "Security" in reflective lettering. They weren't checking purses on friday evening though when we went to see The Bourne Legacy. One out of the five entrances has a little gun buster sign in the lower corner on the hinge side. I took that to mean you couldn't go throught that door while carrying, so I went through one of the doors that wasn't posted.

Quote Originally Posted by CJM View Post
    Our theater now has a pimply faced kid in a black polo shirt with "Security" in reflective lettering. They weren't checking purses on friday evening though when we went to see The Bourne Legacy. One out of the five entrances has a little gun buster sign in the lower corner on the hinge side. I took that to mean you couldn't go throught that door while carrying, so I went through one of the doors that wasn't posted.
    Don't be fooled! That was Gecko45 in disguise!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

The American people have been fooled by the "illusion" of security since 9/11. Do you feel safer knowing that there are more feds on the border? Hint- the 9/11 hijackers did not come here illegally. All of the knee jerk laws and regulations as well as billions in spending have done nothing to make America a safer place. It is all to make you FEEL safe, much like the manipulation by the media, but that is another topic.

It goes back to concealed is concealed, if they don't know you have it......

Trust in Bart the mall cop, see no guns are allowed.... I feel safer already....
    ScottM, TN_Mike, RichB70 and 2 others like this.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

Most security IS theater.

Security firms are mostly for show...
    Young men and ladies dress up like cops and the public feels secure...
    Old men dressed like cops sit at a bank of monitors in the foyer of the building... and the public feels secure.
    A watchman makes his rounds of the gates and the doors at night... and the company feels secure...

Most of the time these folks do what the cops do, they record the incident that has already occurred. Most security is not proacitve... it is reactive.

Been there done that ( a LOOOOONG time ago, in a far away galaxy)... speaking from the inside...

Now, there is a man in security we all looked up to... a long time ago... the G man... you may have known him by another name.... and that's all I can say about that.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

It is a nice 'feel good' for the movie goers

I'm sure the actual purpose is it gives the theater a nice excuse to make sure you are not smuggling any outside goodies in with you. They make most of their profit off concessions.

What do you think would have happened if your wife and daughter said no?
    Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor liberty to purchase power.
    -Ben Franklin

This forum is constantly opening my eyes to 'what's really going on' out there..

Ben, welcome to Colorado! Enjoy your visit!

Drive west and spend some time in the mountains. You'll have a blast.

VIP Member
    Most security is nothing more than show for those with no SA. It gives them a warm fuzzy, even though it accomplishes nothing.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarisataka View Post
    It is a nice 'feel good' for the movie goers

I'm sure the actual purpose is it gives the theater a nice excuse to make sure you are not smuggling any outside goodies in with you. They make most of their profit off concessions.

What do you think would have happened if your wife and daughter said no?
    We actually talked about that. I guess the theater could have refused us entry and refunded our money. Or, more likely, the person would have just let us in.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BenGoodLuck View Post
    We actually talked about that. I guess the theater could have refused us entry and refunded our money. Or, more likely, the person would have just let us in.
    Speaking generally, businesses like the movie theater are all about making revenue and to that end they really want to avoid making a loud scene that might detract from business. I am curious as to how they would have responded should you have refused a search. I am guessing that if you were polite they would probably try to insist on the how it is "necessary" for security and if you continue to refuse call a manager who in turn will ask you to comply, but if you again politely refuse (and say either let me pass and go buy my popcorn ($ profit) or give me a refund ($loss) will probably let you pass.

This thread also reminded me how much computer, especially server, security has in common with real security. Above all else, security is a process, not an application, not a tool, not a guard. It is about controlling access, keeping vital resources visible to and accessible by only to authorized personnel, detecting unauthorized intrusion, having a proper response plan, and auditing your process.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.

Ahhh, the illusion of security.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Unless they are armed they are not technically security.......
    ArmyMan likes this.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

VIP Member
    What, precisely would the unarmed purse rooters do if they actually encountered a soon-to-be active shooter whilst fumbling through patrons' things? Seems to me they would be the first casualties.
    ArmyMan, RichB70 and ep1953 like this.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links