CCW permit - leaving gun in car??

This is a discussion on CCW permit - leaving gun in car?? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know it's not ideal, but what do you think about these guns that have an internal safety lock? Basically, they take a little key ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: CCW permit - leaving gun in car??

I know it's not ideal, but what do you think about these guns that have an internal safety lock? Basically, they take a little key and you secure the safety and then you turn the key and the safety can't be taken off. Obviously, not as secure as a lockbox, but would prevent someone from using the weapon right away.

2. Remove Ads

I rig a holster up tucked underneath the driver's seat. On some of our vehicles, it has necessitated removing the seat in order to fit and secure the holster in it, but it makes the firearm easily and readily accessible as well as out of sight and a thief would have to know the destination in order to find it/get to it.

I'll never disable a firearm or store it in a safe for short-term storage such as while I'm at a "no-guns" locale like a courthouse or polling place. Too many scumbags hang around such "safe havens" looking to yoke people going to their cars. The faster you can get to your car and retrieve your firearm, the better off you'll be.

Even if you get in your car and shut and lock your doors, the scumbag/s can still bust a window and drag you out while you're fumbling around with a safe combination or trying to put your slide and springs back on, etc.

If a gun gets stolen while its in one of our vehicles, it becomes the problem of law enforcement--not mine. I'll not feel one second of guilt for what some criminal, lawless piece of human sewage does. The second he breaks into my car, he's committed an intentional felony and anything/everything he does afterwards is one-hundred percent his fault and not mine.

JD
    Author of Above Reproach, the new thriller that unequivocally positions the Second Amendment and concealed carry as our nation's most effective system of homeland and personal security.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Welcome chris to the forum. Lots of good suggestions and replies. Seems like you do this often and some of the suggestions that will stop a smash and grab are good ones for you to consider. One thing you said that needs clarification. You mention Castle Doctrine and your car in the context of your leaving the firearm in the car. Castle Doctrine has nothing to do with the property in your car but has everything to do with you or others actually being in the car. It involves forced entry into an occupied car similar to forced entry into your occupied home. I believe my interpretation is correct but every state seems to have a different handle on their defense laws.
    marcclarke likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by thechriskarel View Post
    Hey guys, I have a CCW permit in PA, and sometimes I leave my gun in my car when I park. I like to have it with me but work, school, etc. forbid firearms. I believe that our Castle Doctrine extends to our vehicles (feel free to correct me!) so I don't see any problem with this. I always lock my car and the weapon is out of sight. It isn't in a safe, but somebody would have to break into the car to get to it. And no, I don't brag that the gun is in there...my family knows and a few close friends figured it out, but I don't go around blabbing about it. I've been told that this habit is "kind of dumb" but not illegal. Any input is appreciated.

PS this is my first post here and I look forward to learning a lot on this forum.
    If I'm going to be away for a while (class) or have to leave the gun and someone in the car then I put a trigger lock on it and place it on the center console.

I don't mess with vaults or cables and I certainly never disable it by taking a part off (dumbest idea ever imo) because it's to much hassle and fumbling should I need it.

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    You mention Castle Doctrine and your car in the context of your leaving the firearm in the car. Castle Doctrine has nothing to do with the property in your car but has everything to do with you or others actually being in the car. It involves forced entry into an occupied car similar to forced entry into your occupied home. I believe my interpretation is correct but every state seems to have a different handle on their defense laws.
    that is how I understand it too. sorry for any confusion!

Quote Originally Posted by JDKinman View Post
    I rig a holster up tucked underneath the driver's seat. On some of our vehicles, it has necessitated removing the seat in order to fit and secure the holster in it, but it makes the firearm easily and readily accessible as well as out of sight and a thief would have to know the destination in order to find it/get to it.

I'll never disable a firearm or store it in a safe for short-term storage such as while I'm at a "no-guns" locale like a courthouse or polling place. Too many scumbags hang around such "safe havens" looking to yoke people going to their cars. The faster you can get to your car and retrieve your firearm, the better off you'll be.

Even if you get in your car and shut and lock your doors, the scumbag/s can still bust a window and drag you out while you're fumbling around with a safe combination or trying to put your slide and springs back on, etc.

If a gun gets stolen while its in one of our vehicles, it becomes the problem of law enforcement--not mine. I'll not feel one second of guilt for what some criminal, lawless piece of human sewage does. The second he breaks into my car, he's committed an intentional felony and anything/everything he does afterwards is one-hundred percent his fault and not mine.

JD
    I like this guy lol

Quote Originally Posted by JDKinman View Post
    - Except for the fact that it does become every law abiding gun owner's problem. If that gun is used in a crime, it's a talking point for every gun control organization out there.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

ugh I knew I forgot something.....it's a .38 snub, not a semi. I suppose I could take the rounds out still.
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyMan View Post
    If I'm going to be away for a while (class) or have to leave the gun and someone in the car then I put a trigger lock on it and place it on the center console.

I don't mess with vaults or cables and I certainly never disable it by taking a part off (dumbest idea ever imo) because it's to much hassle and fumbling should I need it.
    Most trigger locks can be defeated in two or three seconds using a small screwdriver or pocket knife blade. See YouTube for demonstration videos.

Quote Originally Posted by Bardo View Post
    I know it's not ideal, but what do you think about these guns that have an internal safety lock? Basically, they take a little key and you secure the safety and then you turn the key and the safety can't be taken off. Obviously, not as secure as a lockbox, but would prevent someone from using the weapon right away.
    Stupendously stupid. Murphy's Law. The locks can and do fail under normal usage,locking the gun. The recommendation is to either buy a gun with no internal lock or to remove the lock. Many threads on this topic on this forum; no need to start another here. The forum's search engine is your friend.

Welcome! I use a mini gunvault with a cable looped to my seat. Best $25 I've spent to keep my gun much more secure and out of a criminals hands when I can not carry it.
    rugerista likes this.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

A gun locked in a vehicle is the same as a gun locked in your house. If someone breaks into either and steals the gun, then whatever they do with the gun is his problem, not yours. Placing it in a gun vault or disassembling it defeats the purpose of having it available for self defense. Lock the doors and place the gun in the console or under the seat. Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by sawman1293 View Post
    A gun locked in a vehicle is the same as a gun locked in your house. If someone breaks into either and steals the gun, then whatever they do with the gun is his problem, not yours. Placing it in a gun vault or disassembling it defeats the purpose of having it available for self defense. Lock the doors and place the gun in the console or under the seat. Just my opinion.
    If you are leaving it in your car in order to go into a store... leaving it loaded in the car, serves no useful purpose as they are already unarmed.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sawman1293 View Post
    Methinks that the gun is in the vault when he is not in the car. When he is in the car, I would assume he takes it out of vault. Same is true for in home defense. You are not home you lock up, when you are home it is accessible. If this is not the case, common sense would say you are absolutely correct--a locked up gun is as good as a rock on the ground--actually worse.

Hey guys, I have a CCW permit in PA, and sometimes I leave my gun in my car when I park. I like to have it with me but work, school, etc. forbid firearms. I believe that our Castle Doctrine extends to our vehicles (feel free to correct me!) so I don't see any problem with this. I always lock my car and the weapon is out of sight. It isn't in a safe, but somebody would have to break into the car to get to it. And no, I don't brag that the gun is in there...my family knows and a few close friends figured it out, but I don't go around blabbing about it. I've been told that this habit is "kind of dumb" but not illegal. Any input is appreciated.

PS this is my first post here and I look forward to learning a lot on this forum.
    I checked with the Permit Office in my area in NY State - (I suggest you do that in your area) - woman there said the same thing, "it's legal but stupid, your car gets stolen or broken into you'll have several problems". She didn't explain exactly what but I imagine the police are not too thrilled when guns get stolen, you now have a stolen gun registered to you originally and now used for any purpose by god-knows-who, which could be a civil suit depending on what the gun in someone's hands could do to someone else - and I'm sure it would go down on your Permit records etc. - besides, you'd lose a gun!

If you have a number of guns coming back from range in range bag take them home, keep the one on you CCW if you want, and do your errands after. That's the safest and easiest way to avoid problems.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links