CCW permit - leaving gun in car??

This is a discussion on CCW permit - leaving gun in car?? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The thought of anyone breaking in my truck hasn't crossed my mind since I moved out of California. I always have a dedicated rife and ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: CCW permit - leaving gun in car??

The thought of anyone breaking in my truck hasn't crossed my mind since I moved out of California. I always have a dedicated rife and pistol in the truck, plus my carry gun that sometimes gets left behind too. I have the problem of locking my doors without drawing attention. I have even been known to cough real loud as I lock the doors to cover the sound.

2. Remove Ads

I use a bell bike lock. I secure it to my seat and run the cable through the ejected magazine port and out the open slide then lock it. I have the 5 foot cable so I can get into my truck then reach under the seat to retrieve it.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    - Except for the fact that it does become every law abiding gun owner's problem. If that gun is used in a crime, it's a talking point for every gun control organization out there.
    This is where I'm a hard-liner--

First, I could not possibly care one whit less what any of the anti-gun organizations out there are saying.

Secondly, I'm in the business of ensuring my safety and well-being and that of my family/friends. I am not in the business of appeasing the cowards in the anti- gun movement. I'm most certainly not in the business of planning my life and routines around possibilities that will lessen any negative perceived impact they might have with anti-gun organizations.

Third, in the pilot and flying world, we kind of have a saying about engine failures and how we would handle them that goes like this: "The minute that engine quits, my airplane became the sole property of the insurance company. My job is to make sure I stay alive to deliver it to them." I feel the same way about having a gun stolen. The minute I discover a gun has been stolen, it becomes the problem of law enforcement and is no longer my problem. I've reported the crime and now I'm done with it.

And finally, the very fact that a criminal would break ALL laws to ILLEGALLY break into my car (or home) and STEAL my firearm and then possibly use it in another ILLEGAL act simply justifies why we call them CRIMINALS, why they are DANGEROUS, and why we need to ARM OURSELVES against criminals. They do NOT OBEY THE LAW and even the anti-gun libtards know that penalizing law-abiding gun owners will NOT STOP criminals from acquiring guns.

Therefore, I could not possibly give a big stinky bowel-movement less as to what they think or how they react.

JD
    Author of Above Reproach, the new thriller that unequivocally positions the Second Amendment and concealed carry as our nation's most effective system of homeland and personal security.

When you say guns are forbidden at school and work, I would make sure that you are even legal having a gun on both the school and your employers property. Florida passed a law a few years ago giving CC licensed employees the right to have a gun locked in their vehicle on the business property. Before that, you could not have a gun locked in your car if your employer forbid it. Not every state has that law in effect, so you may run the risk of breaking company policy by having your gun on their property even in your car. Castle Doctrine does trump private property rules made by the owner unless it is a law in your state.

....had my range bag in my car in Texas years ago while I was doing some work at a school district. Just as I was getting ready for lunch I spied several cops with dogs going from car to car. I asked what they were looking for, and the reply from one of the employees there was that the dogs were sniffing for guns since it was illegal to have a gone anywhere on school property....even an outlying administration building. I literally sprinted for my car and drove out of the lot as the dogs got to my car. I would have lost my job, gone to jail, and never would have been able to own a firearm again just because I did not pay attention to the RULES.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

I was never comfortable with leaving my firearm unattended in my car. I just don't want to provide some druggie rifling through vehicles with with my weapon to possibly do harm to someone else. When I walk up on a store or business that posts a no firearms sign on the door, I turn around and don't spend my money, or do business there. I'll let them do business with the crack heads that will disregard their little sign and rob them. As for Govt. buildings and schools (the rare times I have to enter them) I would rather leave the weapon home in my 800lb gun safe.

Quote Originally Posted by JDKinman View Post
    This is where I'm a hard-liner--

First, I could not possibly care one whit less what any of the anti-gun organizations out there are saying.

Secondly, I'm in the business of ensuring my safety and well-being and that of my family/friends. I am not in the business of appeasing the cowards in the anti- gun movement. I'm most certainly not in the business of planning my life and routines around possibilities that will lessen any negative perceived impact they might have with anti-gun organizations.
    - If you think it's too much trouble to buy a $30 safe as a minimal amount of deterrence, then I'll just have to agree to disagree.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    - If you think it's too much trouble to buy a $30 safe as a minimal amount of deterrence, then I'll just have to agree to disagree.
    I always figured a locked door was a deterrent, be it on a car, home or business--but my experience in LE proved that criminals who want to steal are rarely deterred by locks. Jails and prisons are institutions of higher education for learning how to quickly defeat such deterrents. Nonetheless, like everyone else I still lock my doors--but I have zero illusions about their effectiveness.

Two things about gun safes in vehicles--

1. I used to have one in a pickup truck I owned many years ago. It (the truck) was a regular Chevy full-size, non-extended cab and the safe was a full-length safe that held rifles and shotguns (as well as pistols). It bolted into the frame behind the seat. While effective, it was a pain in the backside to get guns in and out of and if I ever needed to get to a gun in a hurry, I was doomed--wasn't going to happen. However, I bought the safe to keep my hunting rifles/shotguns in on hunting trips as there was no other decent place to conceal them from view in the truck. All my trucks since have been extended cabs with backseats and dark tinted windows.

2. We had gun safes in the trunks of our gov't cars. You'd be horrified to learn of how many gov't owned firearms--including fully-automatic Uzis, M-16s, MP5s and other fun stuff disappeared from the trunks of obvious (antennae-laden, tinted windows, ugly colors, Ford Crown Vic or Chevy Caprice police package) government cop cars.

I was once bringing a known car thief from one state back to another on a UFAP warrant and we had several hundred miles to talk. He told me it was child's play to steal a car and if he saw valuables he wanted but might take some time to get--like an expensive stereo--he'd simply steal the entire car and drive to a safe location to finish "cleaning" the car rather than risk capture/arrest in a crowded parking lot.

My view on this is definitely jaded because of my background and experiences with criminals. I also think that there may be some geographic disparity in this. I'm noticing a lot of the folks in the northern states are more worried about this than folks in the southern states. Here in Texas, we could care less about giving "fodder" to the anti-gun crowd as they simply waste their breath and brain cells everytime they open the holes under their big noses.

But where some of you live, I can absolutely understand not wanting the shills to go squawking and screeching because your legislatures are often testicularly challenged and testosterone deficient when it comes to standing up for Constitutional rights--kind of like ours in Texas are when it comes to demanding that our border be secured. To that end, you do what you must and you do what makes you feel best about protecting and defending your rights.

On a final note, I see it as a delicious irony that someone would have their car broken into while parked in the Courthouse or Federal building parking lot. . .

JD
    Author of Above Reproach, the new thriller that unequivocally positions the Second Amendment and concealed carry as our nation's most effective system of homeland and personal security.

WRONG

Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    When you say school, are you talking about college or an elementary of secondary school?

You are fine on a college campus with a gun in your car (or carrying it for that matter), although the school may or may not have a policy.

I know people who leave guns in their cars, and while I do not think it is the best practice, it seems to work for them.
    Wrong People

Badey, check your facts before you post something that will get someone arrested. in Michigan you CAN NOT carry on a college campus.
    Michigan Legislature - Section 28.425o

Sec5.0 part 1 subsection 5 and subsection H

Sec. 5o.

(1) Subject to subsection (5), an individual licensed under this act to carry a concealed pistol, or who is exempt from licensure under section 12a(1)(f), shall not carry a concealed pistol on the premises of any of the following:

(h) A dormitory or classroom of a community college, college, or university.

disassemble it and take the lower.

I use a cable lock secured to the seat frame. When I know I have to leave my gun in the truck I forego the second mag securing the mag in myy belt pouch.
    We have different gifts,according to the grace given to each of us.

Quote Originally Posted by PilotRon View Post
    I am a happy NRA member, but sticker on car is just asking for it.
    Very true! That's why I don't have one on my vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by 02R1 View Post
    disassemble it and take the lower.
    What are you supposed to do, put the lower in your pocket? That would poke the heck out of me all day and probably get gun oil in my pants or something.

buy a car safe for your gun.

I read somewhere most gun thefts are from vehicles. IMHO either keep it with you or leave it home...
    RIP Jeff Cooper

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thechriskarel View Post
    Hey guys, I have a CCW permit in PA, and sometimes I leave my gun in my car when I park. I like to have it with me but work, school, etc. forbid firearms. I believe that our Castle Doctrine extends to our vehicles (feel free to correct me!) so I don't see any problem with this. I always lock my car and the weapon is out of sight. It isn't in a safe, but somebody would have to break into the car to get to it. And no, I don't brag that the gun is in there...my family knows and a few close friends figured it out, but I don't go around blabbing about it. I've been told that this habit is "kind of dumb" but not illegal. Any input is appreciated.

PS this is my first post here and I look forward to learning a lot on this forum.

cars are broken into all the time. I've had mine broken into numerous times over the years, at home in the driveway in suburban America, and on the streets in cities. Even in rural nowhere, where you have to drive 10 minutes to get from house to house. Get a single-gun quick access safe that you can secure to the car with a steel cable at a minimum. Heck, I saw them on sale with electronic 3-button touchpad and key operation on sale at Sportsman's Warehouse the other day for $60 each. They're cheap, good protection to keep the crack fiends away from your gun. If the person is semi-pro and has the right tools, he may get it anyway but at least then you know you tried, and a police report with the gun's serial number, and an insurance claim or two will have you back to normal again.

car break-ins and home robberies are two of the most common sources for illegally obtained firearms from some stats I've seen. Keep that in mind.

I recently discovered that my workplace allows a CCW holder to keep their gun in the car in the larking lot. So I'm good there. As far as school, idk. I think it's worth the risk of getting in trouble to one day prevent or end a campus shooting. Grade schools and college campuses are very susceptible to shootings (no guns allowed, lot of ppl crammed into small areas, etc), and it seems a lot have been going down lately.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links