CCW permit - leaving gun in car??

This is a discussion on CCW permit - leaving gun in car?? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys, I have a CCW permit in PA, and sometimes I leave my gun in my car when I park. I like to have ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: CCW permit - leaving gun in car??

Hey guys, I have a CCW permit in PA, and sometimes I leave my gun in my car when I park. I like to have it with me but work, school, etc. forbid firearms. I believe that our Castle Doctrine extends to our vehicles (feel free to correct me!) so I don't see any problem with this. I always lock my car and the weapon is out of sight. It isn't in a safe, but somebody would have to break into the car to get to it. And no, I don't brag that the gun is in there...my family knows and a few close friends figured it out, but I don't go around blabbing about it. I've been told that this habit is "kind of dumb" but not illegal. Any input is appreciated.

PS this is my first post here and I look forward to learning a lot on this forum.

Pop the mag and stick it in your pocket when you leave it there. Not many semi's are any good without the mag to anyone who would steal it. Plus, they wont' have ammunition to use it.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Does extreme (hot or cold) affect a gun in a car? Just curious as my work does not allow guns.

+1 to the OP. What is the best way to store in a car?

I bought a small nano vault that chains to my seat. Just another layer to deter theft. It sits under drivers seat floor mat. Just an idea.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

ugh I knew I forgot something.....it's a .38 snub, not a semi. I suppose I could take the rounds out still.

Get a cable lock and run it through the open cylinder and then lock it to the seat rail. By doing this the gun is protected from the typical smash and grab. It is also what I believe to be the minimum one should do when leaving a revolver in a car.

I will not leave a weapon in the car. It's too easy for someone to bust open a window and they have your weapon. I have left parts of a weapon in a car before. Just the slide, spring, and frame...

I agree with most, at least disable it so it cant be used on you if you approach a thief in your car. Better yet is the cable or lockbox method along with disabling the gun. Ive yet to see a really secure lockbox, a cable might be better option. I feel the same way about leaving a pistol on or in my nightstand, its either going in the safe or on my person when I leave the house. Id hate to get shot by my own weapon.

As long as your car is inconspicuous I see nothing wrong with keeping your firearm in your vehicle. I keep one in my car when I'm not caring on my body. I don't disable it, it is loaded and ready to go if I need it. I also have no NRA or any other stickers on my car that would lead anyone to believe that there is something of value or firearm inside. (I am a happy NRA member, but sticker on car is just asking for it)
    9mmspecial and thechriskarel like this.

Welcome

I don't see see anything wrong with keeping it in the car but a cable ran through it is an easy thing to implement and also gives you extra security. I believe we're all responsible for our firearms (and rounds), so if worst case your car was stolen, it'd greatly reduce the possibility of your weapon being used if there's a traffic stop, etc. etc.

... well, unless the person happens to be carrying the right tools to cut it
    DoctorBob likes this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum, leaving an unsecured firearm in a car is not a good idea. That being said a lock box such as the Nano or even the government required lock may be used to secure a firearm. The cable on the Nano can be secured to the seat rails preventing theft and a cable lock may be used in the same manner.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Welcome to the forum.

If you're going to leave a firearm in the car, at least buy a lockbox like the Center of Mass/Secure-It/GunVault Nano. It's not going to stop a determined thief, but it's most likely going to deter a smash and grab thief. IMO, it's irresponsible to possibly arm a criminal by not taking minimal precautions.
    DoctorBob likes this.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

VIP Member
    First off, welcome to the forum.

As to your question, get a small safe/security box to keep it in. Most come with a cable that loops through your seat track to secure it, or you can bolt it to the floor.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Drop $30 and get one of these:

Cabela's: Bulldog Car Vault

I use it every time I have to cross into Illinois or have to leave a firearm in my vehicle.
    zonker1986, DoctorBob and doctorw like this.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

When you say school, are you talking about college or an elementary of secondary school?

You are fine on a college campus with a gun in your car (or carrying it for that matter), although the school may or may not have a policy.

I know people who leave guns in their cars, and while I do not think it is the best practice, it seems to work for them.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links