Bad! This guy is a real pain in the butt for us who carry responsibly!

This is a discussion on Bad! This guy is a real pain in the butt for us who carry responsibly! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; One version I just read (LA Times or CNN) reported that there was a casing on the floor, which would indicate a pistol was used ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Bad! This guy is a real pain in the butt for us who carry responsibly!

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    One version I just read (LA Times or CNN) reported that there was a casing on the floor, which would indicate a pistol was used and not a revolver (if that wasn't already known), and that it may in fact have dropped on the floor. If it was in a pocket, IWB, or under his butt I wouldn't think the slide would be able to cycle properly and eject a shell, but I may be over thinking it.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

2. Remove Ads

The (man) was cooperative with police and admitted that his gun fell out of his pocket and when it hit the floor it discharged, Dyer said in the police statement.
    Bull ! ! !

Sounds like an incident here when a guy was sticking a .380 into his back pocket (no holster) and did the same thing.

We need "bad examples" in society, they provide everyone else with a good example of what not to do, and makes most people feel good.... because they know they would never be that stupid.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyMan View Post
    Carrying a pistol with the hammer cocked = bad juju.
    Ummm, what's wrong with that?
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States.
    There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
    - Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

Sig P238/Sig 1911 Ultra/Beretta PX4 Storm/Kimber Ultra Carry II

Quote Originally Posted by kb2wji View Post
    I love threads like this. They usually go on forever, and if you figure out who on the forum HASN'T posted, you have your shooter ! ! If you're on here, show yourself!
    I thought about this also since it's very close to my home. No it was not me I can sit down today, unlike this guy.

Latest update I saw says the man who was shot says his gun fell out of his pocket and discharged. If accurate, that tells me this guy was carrying a gun in his pocket without a pocket holster. That is stupid and this incident shows why. At the very least he should lose his carry permit as he has demonstrated that he doesn't use good judgement and has been a danger to not only himself but others around him. He makes us all look bad and only hurts us all.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

CCW & Sitting: Avoid Shooting YourSelf in Rear Like This Man + How Could This Happen?

09:33 PM ET
    CNN
    Tweet

Police: Moviegoer Accidentally Shoots Himself In The Rear

A man carried a gun into a movie theater and accidentally shot himself with it, police in Sparks, Nevada, say.
    According to an incident report, police received several calls Tuesday night reporting shots being fired inside the Sparks Century Theater downtown, where "The Bourne Legacy" was playing. Multiple police units and other emergency personnel rushed to the theater, but officers quickly determined that only one shot had been fired...

Police: Moviegoer accidentally shoots himself in the rear – This Just In - CNN.com Blogs

(Well, Better his rear than the back of somebody's head)

Aside from the humor: hitting someone else, ricochet from the floor or something, no more humor. As it is, after the Police finish their chuckle, an AD in public is considered real unfunny by the Law and this guy will have Trouble.

I can't figure out how this could happen?

Anyone come up with anything?
    Last edited by detective; August 16th, 2012 at 05:03 AM.

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    I know I shouldn't laugh, but considering the outcome...
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

A proper holster?
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon. Go big or stay on the porch.

Quote Originally Posted by 40Bob View Post
    A proper holster?
    Or Kevlar underpants.

Seriously, unless he had a 1911 Cocked And Locked that his body movement somehow knocked the safety off of and somehow also pulled the trigger I can't think of a gun that would do that; revolver? But how could you cock a revolver AND pull the trigger with your rear? Or ever pull a DA trigger that way?

Wish they had details of how it happened, it sounds impossible...

I posted it as much of a Head's Up as it was a Mystery I wondered if anyone could solve.

With the Safety off, he had one in the chamber for a starters?

Update:
    http://www.rgj.com/article/20120814/...nclick_check=1

“The (man) was cooperative with police and admitted that his gun fell out of his pocket and when it hit the floor it discharged,” Dyer said in the police statement.
    The man has a valid permit to carry a concealed weapon, Dyer added.

One caller told police that seven to eight shots were fired in the theater, but police later determined only one shot was involved.
    “There was no panic in the theater as only five people heard the shot out of the approximate 30 people in attendance,” police said in an email about 11 p.m. Tuesday.

That's the true definition of ' a bummer ' ! Aside from bad jokes. I believe re-evaluation of his holster is in order. My gun and I have gone to the movies before,and nobody was hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by baren View Post
    With the Safety off, he had one in the chamber for a starters?

Update:
    http://www.rgj.com/article/20120814/...nclick_check=1

“The (man) was cooperative with police and admitted that his gun fell out of his pocket and when it hit the floor it discharged,” Dyer said in the police statement.
    The man has a valid permit to carry a concealed weapon, Dyer added.

One caller told police that seven to eight shots were fired in the theater, but police later determined only one shot was involved.
    “There was no panic in the theater as only five people heard the shot out of the approximate 30 people in attendance,” police said in an email about 11 p.m. Tuesday.
    So, we can assume no pocket holster, first mistake.
    It drops on the floor. Second mistake.
    It discharges. Yeah, somebody with a ready-to-fire gun who takes the safety off - maybe. Only a crazy or really ignorant person would set up his gun for Carry like that. but if so that was the third and over-riding mistake.

Administrator
    Usually the person suffering a negligent discharge in that type of scenario was fidgeting with the firearm but will never own up to that.

I (for sure) could see that happening while sitting and watching a movie with a fat gun stuck in the back pocket.

He was probably getting pretty uncomfortable with an ass cheek resting on a hard lump of gun and decided to shift the firearm or move it while the theater lights were low.

I am not aware of any quality firearm that would self-discharge from chair height even on a concrete floor.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by detective View Post
    Seriously, unless he had a 1911 Cocked And Locked that his body movement somehow knocked the safety off of and somehow also pulled the trigger I can't think of a gun that would do that; revolver? But how could you cock a revolver AND pull the trigger with your rear? Or ever pull a DA trigger that way?
    Would a light trigger on a striker-fired pistol, sans holster, contribute to a negligent discharge?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links