Bad! This guy is a real pain in the butt for us who carry responsibly!

This is a discussion on Bad! This guy is a real pain in the butt for us who carry responsibly! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by detective So, we can assume no pocket holster, first mistake. It drops on the floor. Second mistake. It discharges. Yeah, somebody with ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Bad! This guy is a real pain in the butt for us who carry responsibly!

Quote Originally Posted by detective View Post
    So, we can assume no pocket holster, first mistake.
    It drops on the floor. Second mistake.
    It discharges. Yeah, somebody with a ready-to-fire gun who takes the safety off - maybe. Only a crazy or really ignorant person would set up his gun for Carry like that. but if so that was the third and over-riding mistake.
    I agree with #1, a good quality holster is must. #2 wasn't a mistake, but cause and effect of not having a holster to start. #3 was a rare probability to have happen, as QKShooter stated quality firearms don't discharge by themselves. Zero ND, if not chambered, but that is inherented risk we all assume when carrying have one in the chamber. I hope he doesn't get jail time over this incident. Also that he finds a good holster and more training.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    I (for sure) could see that happening while sitting and watching a movie with a fat gun stuck in the back pocket.

He was probably getting pretty uncomfortable with an ass cheek resting on a hard lump of gun and decided to shift the firearm or move it while the theater lights were low.
    Bingo. The fact that only the 5 folks around him in the theater heard the shot adds to that theory - it was probably nuzzled up to his "cheek" when it went off, and that would make a pretty good suppressor. A discharge next to a hard theater floor would be quite a bit louder.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    I am not aware of any quality firearm that would self-discharge from chair height even on a concrete floor.
    Not handguns, at least, unless he was carrying a pre-mod single-action revolver with the hammer cocked. In that case, I'll blame the spin, not the floor.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by detective View Post
    09:33 PM ET
    CNN
    Tweet

Police: Moviegoer Accidentally Shoots Himself In The Rear

A man carried a gun into a movie theater and accidentally shot himself with it, police in Sparks, Nevada, say.
    According to an incident report, police received several calls Tuesday night reporting shots being fired inside the Sparks Century Theater downtown, where "The Bourne Legacy" was playing. Multiple police units and other emergency personnel rushed to the theater, but officers quickly determined that only one shot had been fired...

Police: Moviegoer accidentally shoots himself in the rear This Just In - CNN.com Blogs

(Well, Better his rear than the back of somebody's head)

Aside from the humor: hitting someone else, ricochet from the floor or something, no more humor. As it is, after the Police finish their chuckle, an AD in public is considered real unfunny by the Law and this guy will have Trouble.

I can't figure out how this could happen?

Anyone come up with anything?
    I'd almost be willing to put money on it not happening the way it was reported. A modern gun is not going to discharge from being dropped unless there is something wrong with it already. My guess is he tried to catch it as it fell and grabbed the trigger.
    detective likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Any way you look at the facts this Bozo is likely guilty of criminal negligence. If he was carrying chambered without a holster in his pocket or his waistband that is not what any responsible person would do. If he was fiddling with it to make himself more comfortable, that too is not what any responsible person would do. If he was careful enough in choosing his clothing/pockets to properly retain his gun, that is not what a reasonable gun owner would do. My guess is that he violated all four basic rules. Idiots like this are a threat to our rights.

In Nevada negligent discharge of a firearm in a public place is a misdemeanor and carries a 6 month/$1,000 fine penalty. This guy deserves the max.

How could it happen,I would like to know the make of firearm first of all,whether the bullet fired from the floor up or from up down will determine if the gun did fall out and struck the floor and angle it went through or stuck in the seat pad.Some of the really "cheap" guns seem to have the worse track records when it comes from dropped discharges,like the Cobra,Jennings,Bryco firearms
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    I'd almost be willing to put money on it not happening the way it was reported. A modern gun is not going to discharge from being dropped unless there is something wrong with it already. My guess is he tried to catch it as it fell and grabbed the trigger.
    The LEO's should be able to either confirm his story or not by the evidence at hand such as if the bullet just grazed hit buttocks the angle it struck at,did the bullet penetrate the seat coming up or down,were there any bullet impact on the ground suggesting the round was fired downward.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by troutkiller View Post
    Would a light trigger on a striker-fired pistol, sans holster, contribute to a negligent discharge?
    No, the only way a striker fired gun goes off is pulling the trigger.

GH
    An incident like that has to be a real pain in the a$$.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

This morning at coffee we discussed this fellow since Sparks Century is a local theater. The paper had a big article all around the incident but didn't say much about the facts. We have friends in the Sherrif's department and I'm sure by now every LEO in the area knows exactly what happened and all the details like gun type, etc. I doubt that the gun hit the floor and went off. He probably got his bugger hook on the trigger as he was adjusting the gun without a holster in his back pocket. I assured the group, none of whom carry, that we will get the straight word when the deputies come in for coffee in the next few days. When I find out something factual, I will post it here. There are some other Reno/Sparks people on this site who may get the information first. Without knowing the facts of the incident, it's hard to assume much more than the anti-gun crowd just got some more FMJ evidence that guns are bad and people who carry are therefore bad people.
    Retired AF pilot, Vietnam FAC 1967-68

Quote Originally Posted by troutkiller View Post
    Would a light trigger on a striker-fired pistol, sans holster, contribute to a negligent discharge?
    Not from a fall, trigger would have to be pulled far as I know.

Quote Originally Posted by CAS_Shooter View Post
    In 2000 there were 75,000 alcohol related deaths and 32,000 firearm related deaths. Would it save more innocent lives and bring greater peace and hope to all if the anti gun folks shifted their efforts from gun laws to ending the legalization of alcohol. If it really is about the children, then improve their odds by lobbying for prohibition.
    They have worked against it with vigor ending in regulation and penalty increases, it's working, intoxicated driving way down from 10-20 years ago. It started years ago with MAD (Mother's Against Drunk-Driving). 'member that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindy1933 View Post
    This morning at coffee we discussed this fellow since Sparks Century is a local theater. The paper had a big article all around the incident but didn't say much about the facts. We have friends in the Sherrif's department and I'm sure by now every LEO in the area knows exactly what happened and all the details like gun type, etc. I doubt that the gun hit the floor and went off. He probably got his bugger hook on the trigger as he was adjusting the gun without a holster in his back pocket. I assured the group, none of whom carry, that we will get the straight word when the deputies come in for coffee in the next few days. When I find out something factual, I will post it here. There are some other Reno/Sparks people on this site who may get the information first. Without knowing the facts of the incident, it's hard to assume much more than the anti-gun crowd just got some more FMJ evidence that guns are bad and people who carry are therefore bad people.
    Report first came via hospital he went to before cops came to the theater - least I assume, hospitals have to report evidence of a crime.

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Question: As this idiot is picking up his weapon a CC'er in the aisle over sees him (only sees him with the gun in his hand), shoots him because he was flashed by the muzzle (remember this guy is an idiot to discharge his weapon so I wouldn't put it past him to muzzle someone).

Good shoot? Gun pointed in general direction of fellow CC'er and CC'er just heard a shot.
    Good question. I am glad i don't have to find the answer the hard way, and no one else was forced to by his negligence. I can say with one shot fired in the dark, my weapon would have been out and me looking for movement.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

VIP Member
    Gee makes you wonder why a business would not want firearms on the premises and post signs.

Sorry couldn't resist. Stupid things happen to stupid people on a regular basis it is the norm. Glad no one else got hurt.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Arborigine View Post
    Good question. I am glad i don't have to find the answer the hard way, and no one else was forced to by his negligence. I can say with one shot fired in the dark, my weapon would have been out and me looking for movement.
    Circumstances would have to be different for me to unholster after hearing what was one gunshot. Ones first instinct should not always go for a gun. But like they say :I wasn't there.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links