A year of stats on crime and CCW holders in texas

This is a discussion on A year of stats on crime and CCW holders in texas within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I thought this was interesting and worth posting because it gives us a look into what crimes accrue by non CHL holders and CHL holders ...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: A year of stats on crime and CCW holders in texas

I thought this was interesting and worth posting because it gives us a look into what crimes accrue by non CHL holders and CHL holders

interesting look at the crimes and category’s

Total offenses 63,679 crimes 120 by TX CHL holders 0.1884% of the total

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/RSD/CHL...Report2011.pdf

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    I'm kinda surprised it was 120 I actually thought it would be lower

VIP Member
    What is the total population of TX, and the total number of CHL holders there?
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by CowboyColby View Post
    I'm kinda surprised it was 120 I actually thought it would be lower
    Always going to have a tiny percentage of folks that do things they shouldn't. 31 of the offenses were related to unlawful carry... carrying somewhere not allowed.

Thanks for sharing, it's interesting data.

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

VIP Member
    And I am assuming that "UNL CARRY HANDGUN LIC HOLDER" is the "unlawful carrying of a handgun by a license holder." This raises a few questions -

1) If you are a license holder, what constitutes unlawful carrying (there are several other statutes about carrying where prohibited, where posted, etc).

2)If this is unlawful carry by a permit holder, how come 35% of the people convicted for it are NOT license holders?

Ah, I love the law... :)
    BenGoodLuck likes this.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    What is the total population of TX, and the total number of CHL holders there?
    CHL; we are right at around 500,000

population is 25,674,681 (does not include illegal aliens)

If any other states area available please posts them; I love to see how we compare

I think the unlawful carry by a license holder when not listed as a prohibited place or some other specific location related thing might be while intoxicated.
    The license holders that are not included in CHL holder group could be folks carrying under a reciprocity agreement as opposed to having a Texas CHL.
    I will have to look for some population figures but the Houston metro area is about eight million people.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Mostly looks like assaults and carrying where they shouldn't be. No big surprises.

VIP Member
    If it is 500k, and the population of TX is in the neighborhood of 25 million, that would mean that CHL holders account for 2% of the population, but account for less than 0.2% of the convictions. Yeah, not bad.
    GeorgiaDawg likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    CHL; we are right at around 500,000

population is 25,674,681 (does not include illegal aliens)
    according to those numbers then, and assuming that every charge on that list was for a different individual (highly unlikely) this means that .24% of texas citizens without chl's committed a crime last year, while .024 of chl holders did. a difference of .8%. so non chl holders are 8 times more likely to commit a crime.

next year however they will not likely be on the chl side should they re-offend.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fausty View Post
    according to those numbers then, and assuming that every charge on that list was for a different individual (highly unlikely) this means that .24% of texas citizens without chl's committed a crime last year, while .024 of chl holders did. a difference of .8%. so non chl holders are 8 times more likely to commit a crime.

next year however they will not likely be on the chl side should they re-offend.
    Well, that's not exactly how those numbers shake out, but it's in the ball park. And yeah, it's a self-correcting problem - CHL holder gets convicted, he's not going to be in the CHL holder column next year!

If you take out nonviolent/non-felony charges, the number drops dramatically.
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

The total population of Texas includes infants, first graders, people in a coma, etc. This amounts to identifying how many people in Texas have a Discover card and then how many of those were arrested for disturbing the peace and then thinking a relationship can be inferred from the resulting numbers. At the least, no crimes should be counted by anyone not of an age required to get a permit. It feels good to look a these numbers but it is weak to use them to make much of a point. We know that CCW permit holders are less likely to commit crimes. I would like to see real population selection done so that the numbers could at least be defended.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links