Work in NJ, how to legally secure CCW before entering.

This is a discussion on Work in NJ, how to legally secure CCW before entering. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi All, I'm a new member but have been reading the forums for a few months. I live in PA and travel to NJ several ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hi All,

I'm a new member but have been reading the forums for a few months. I live in PA and travel to NJ several times each month for work. I have a PA carry license which I know is not valid in NJ. How do you carry in PA and then secure your CCW before crossing into NJ so as not to be drug off to prison should you be stopped for any reason while in NJ? Does anyone here do this on a regular basis?

Regards,

Tommy

Don't bring it to NJ..............if stopped you'll be visiting the Greybar Hotel.

VIP Member
    To the best of my knowledge you can't take your gun. Your destination is in NJ, you are not traveling through so federal law does not cover you.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

As a recent NJ resident... I can tell you right now... forget it.
    Unless you're a judge or somehow connected with a powerful politician, a concealed carry permit is just about impossible to obtain.
    (It's even difficult for retired LE.)
    Even worse are the penalties for carrying a firearm illegally... 7 years in state prison.
    You're far better off getting mugged and beaten to the inch of your life than to suffer that fate.
    NJ residents have more to fear from their state government than from their state's criminals.
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

GH
    Someone constantly remind me not to visit NJ, lol. I don't see that happening anytime in the near future but you never know.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Thank for all of your replies. I guess it's OC and some big rocks when making the trip to Jersey.

How about a safety deposit box in a bank in PA near the border?
    A small one (large enough for a pistol) should not be too costly.
    " Keep On Packin' On The Bimah"

I have been a ccw holder in New York since the early 80's, and have worked in Jersey for 21 years now. All I can say is that state sucks(even worse than NY). It is very frustrating not to be able to carry there, when I carry here every day(when I get home). I also have a lot of friends that live there, and sucks not to be able to shoot together. Leave it home....they do not find any humor in bringing one in.

Isn't it pretty much the same thing in NY?

Yes....but we have a little bit more gun priviledges than N.J.
    It is almost impossible even if you are law enforcement to get a carry permit if not actually working, no and I mean NO hollow point ammo of any kind allowed period......and NO slack on outsiders with legal permits if you are not a Jersey resident.

NY vs NJ. In NJ it is easier to get a card to purchase and own a handgun. My son has my Sig P2022. Traveling to and from range gun must be locked away from ammo. As others have said just about impossible to get permit. Hollow points are allowed in your home.

In NY it takes longer but you can usually, after going through hoops, get a limited permit good for range and hunting. Full carry permits are issued in some upstate counties or you can request restrictions removed after at least a year. You may carry gun loaded on person if on the way to a range. Thus the number of 24 hour ranges in NY. The best part is the restrictions are administrative. This means if caught carrying outside of restrictions you will most likely lose permit but NO legal issue. Once you get full carry there are hardly any restrictions on where you can carry. New York City is different than the rest of NY.

I was born in Phila. when I visit the area and want to visit NJ relatives. I take my pistol to a gun shop and have it cleaned, while in NJ. Call a few shops and ask what they charge to hold it for X amount of time.
    Welcome to the group.

Six
    Quote Originally Posted by Brass63 View Post
    As a recent NJ resident... I can tell you right now... forget it.
    Unless you're a judge or somehow connected with a powerful politician, a concealed carry permit is just about impossible to obtain.
    (It's even difficult for retired LE.)
    Even worse are the penalties for carrying a firearm illegally... 7 years in state prison.
    You're far better off getting mugged and beaten to the inch of your life than to suffer that fate.
    NJ residents have more to fear from their state government than from their state's criminals.
    Honorably retired law enforcement do not need a CCW to carry in any of the 50 states.

Quote Originally Posted by Six View Post
    Honorably retired law enforcement do not need a CCW to carry in any of the 50 states.
    Six... check out the following link.

New Jersey targeting LEO right to carry in THEE RANT Forum
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

I think in New Jersey it is even illegal to possess hollowpoint ammunition somebody correct me if I'm wrong but that is what I had heard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links