Movie theater considered "Public Gathering?"

This is a discussion on Movie theater considered "Public Gathering?" within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just read a story about an individual who was arrested for attempting to carry a concealed pistol into a movie theater in Columbus, GA. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Movie theater considered "Public Gathering?"

Movie theater considered "Public Gathering?"

I just read a story about an individual who was arrested for attempting to carry a concealed pistol into a movie theater in Columbus, GA. I was surprised to read that one of the charges is carrying a deadly weapon into a public gathering." Up until this point I've always heard examples of public gatherings being large sporting events or concerts.

Columbus, GA: UPDATE: Armed man arrested at 'The Expendables 2' pre-screening; police don't believe it's related to bomb threat | Latest News | Columbus Ledger Enquirer

Seems like a stretch to me. Can anyone shed some light on this from a legal standpoint?

Also, if a business has a "No Guns" sign posted, does it carry any kind of legal weight?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Did a quick check at http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/georgia.pdf and didn't see any reference to public gatherings. Did find the answer to your question about signs. Per the website, signs do not carry the weight of law in GA.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

It sounds like he failed to conceal it.
    baren likes this.

He didnt fail to conceal it, he just made it blatantly obvious that he was up to something... he was carrying a computer bag where he had it concealed. And on top of all this he didnt even have a licence... fail...
    baren and ArmyMan like this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Just what is the definition of a "public gathering"? More than tweo people in a public place? Sounds pretty vague and appealable to me.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by MDAnna81 View Post
    I was surprised to read that one of the charges is carrying a deadly weapon into a public gathering." Up until this point I've always heard examples of public gatherings being large sporting events or concerts.

Seems like a stretch to me. Can anyone shed some light on this from a legal standpoint?
    It has always seemed a stretch to me, too.

When it comes right down to it, practically any spot where more than a few people congregate can be deemed a "gathering" if it suits the arresting "authorities." The average crosswalk at noon in town qualifies, in that regard, for the aggressive types.

Fact is, its wording in the statutes tends to be one of those catch-all dust bins that can be used to criminalize a person when not a single criminal behavior has actually been done by the accused. "Legally," it's used just like that, all too often.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Here is the deal if they what to arrest you and charge you they can. They can and do make it up as they go . You may not get convicted but it does not stop them. Happens often not just with firearms. Then while they have you they work on finding something they can make stick. All the while it cost you money and time so in the end to plead to a lesser charge just to get it over with.
    DrahtDog, ArmyMan and Hoganbeg like this.

Georgia's "Public Gathering" clause was eliminated TWO YEARS AGO with the passing of SB308 in June of 2010. There IS NO "Public Gathering" law anymore. Apparently that hasn't stopped a few LEOs from arresting people for it.
    HKR and ArmyMan like this.

Deleted.
    Last edited by bmcgilvray; August 18th, 2012 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Unnessary "police bashing."
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

In our state thats true...

You aren't supposed to carry "anywhere where an admission is charged".

VIP Member
    I wouldn't expect much from the "public gathering" charge. Now, carrying the handgun without a GWCL, that's another story.

What was the dude thinking?? It takes about an hour of your time and about 100 bucks to get a five year license in GA. Duh!

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    78 bucks, drivers license, 30 minutes grand total including drive time to apply for permit, had the license in my hand in less then 24 hours from walking out of the building. That's how easy it is to get a permit in most of Ga, we have a few countys that have cranial rectum problems, but its mostly sorted out now.

As to the public gathering law, that was repealed 2 years ago, that's why it was removed it was used incorrectly in violation of the very laws specifics. As we see here it would not have applied, and its been gone for two years and he still gets charged with it.
    ArmyMan likes this.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    I don't see a problem here at all. Dummy get busted for conceal weapon with no licence to do so. It can be typical that old laws get carried on paper work like the "public gather" but that will be dropped as it no longer is a staue to break but others may get piled on. Do any of you think he won't have a lawyer and he will notice the public gathering charge at least?? Now there will be one less dummy to break laws in the future, atleast for a while hopfully.
    Stupid guy gets arrested. Good arrest.
    ArmyMan likes this.

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    After reading some more I am saying wait and see, the articles and arrest records are well confusing. I'm not trusting either yet.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

I don't have sympathy for the guy who didn't even have a permit or conceal his gun well.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links