HELP with an issue on IWB carry please.

This is a discussion on HELP with an issue on IWB carry please. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So here is the deal, when I IWB carry my M&P Shield even with the shorter 7 round mag, the grip tends to not lie ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: HELP with an issue on IWB carry please.

So here is the deal, when I IWB carry my M&P Shield even with the shorter 7 round mag, the grip tends to not lie flush with my body and print out slightly. I would like to carry at 4 oclock but the only way i've been able to minimize this grip sticking out further is by carrying very nearly SOB. I have a small leather Galco IWB holster that I have been using until the DeSantis Tuck-This II I ordered arrives.

Is there any way you know of to keep the grip from sticking out so much?

Do I need a more serious holster with two belt straps?

I'd like to be able to carry and NOT have to adjust my shirt every few minutes because the grip may be printing or my shirt caught on it.

Thanks!

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by TheConcealer View Post

Yep, something like this ...

BenGoodLuck likes this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Quote Originally Posted by TheConcealer View Post
    So here is the deal, when I IWB carry my M&P Shield even with the shorter 7 round mag, the grip tends to not lie flush with my body and print out slightly. I would like to carry at 4 oclock but the only way i've been able to minimize this grip sticking out further is by carrying very nearly SOB. I have a small leather Galco IWB holster that I have been using until the DeSantis Tuck-This II I ordered arrives.

Is there any way you know of to keep the grip from sticking out so much?

I'd like to be able to carry and NOT have to adjust my shirt every few minutes because the grip may be printing or my shirt caught on it.

Thanks!

Does your IWB holster have the ability to adjust the cant (angle) of the carry? I have mine set at "FBI" (15%, I think) and I have very little issue with this. I have considered angling it a little farther though.

What I use:
    Minotaur MTAC Holster
    Last edited by livewire; August 17th, 2012 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Added link
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

What sgb said. You need a holster that will "cant". Meaning the gun leans slightly or aggressively, forward. I use a crossbreed supertuck and it will allow you adjust the cant as will other styles of similar holsters.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

VIP Member
    This x-concealment works well at 3:00 with a full-sized, accessorized Glock 17.

X-concealment 001.JPG
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

Thanks to all for the help! now the grand search for a quality holster with multiple belt loops and cant adjustment begins... not to mention returning the DeSantis when it arrives.

Have you ever tried appendix inside waist band carry? Sometimes (depending on your build), appendix carry works because your shirt will naturally drape over the handgun......especially if you don't have a thick waist and a decent chest size. The other thing I think about is sometimes people who ccw worry a little too much about a slight print. Really, most people don't notice things about that. One good reason why I think appendix carry works so good is that in our society it is really considered rude to stare at someones groin/belt line area......so that area receives particularly less viewing by the public. Just some thoughts....

I'll try it out MLittle, hadn't even thought of that, thanks for the insight.
    Living a life free from fear, means being able to protect it at all times.
    Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
    NRA

VIP Member
    appendix carry or the other side is for you until you get the holster you looking for.

CJM
    If you can't carry a M&P Shield IWB without printing, I'll have to go Rooster Cogburn on you and just say "I can do nothin' for ya son"...

How tight are the shirts you're wearing? What material are they? Those two things could be the culprit too.

My guess is that you have a zero-cant holster like the Galco Stow-n-Go. You need something with a 15-20 degree forward cant to hide the grip well behind the hip. Appendix carry also works really well for me, when I REALLY need to stay concealed.

Yeah its not so much the shirts, I don't wear tight clothing for the most part besides my socks. They're baggy enough and mostly cotton, try to stick with darker colors too. Definitely not baby GAP haha.

My guess is that you have a zero-cant holster like the Galco Stow-n-Go.
    Nailed it.
    Living a life free from fear, means being able to protect it at all times.
    Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
    NRA

You also need a quality belt! A quality gun belt. A quality gun belt from any number of advertisers or sponsors here.

A quality gun belt goes with a quality holster like bread and butter...........ham and cheese.....................Very de rigueur

A quality holster can make up for a lousy holster, but a quality holster cannot make up for a lousy belt. Only a quality belt works.
    BugDude, TN_Mike and msgt/ret like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    Yep, something like this ...

I like the rig, but doesn't the cutting board pinch?
    Rock and Glock and GH like this.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BenGoodLuck View Post
    I like the rig, but doesn't the cutting board pinch?
    Laugh all you want, but if somebody tacked a piece of molded kydex to it and sold it as a custom carry rig, somebody on this board would swear up and down it is the most comfortable set-up they have ever worn.
    sgb, CJM and BenGoodLuck like this.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links