University of Colorado segregates permit holders

This is a discussion on University of Colorado segregates permit holders within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Sorry if this has already been posted. I can see the posters now--"This dorm protected by Smith and Wesson but the next dorm over isn't." ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: University of Colorado segregates permit holders

University of Colorado segregates permit holders

Sorry if this has already been posted.

I can see the posters now--"This dorm protected by Smith and Wesson but the next dorm over isn't."

Students with gun permits get segregated dorms at University of Colorado - U.S. News

2. Remove Ads

Sounds like a good deal for the permit holders. The purpose is to get and education. Staying alive and healthy to accomplish that is a very good thing. Also, it might make some of the non-permit holders reconsider their position.

Just makes it easier for the next psycho to know which dorm to hit as the dorm will be unarmed a la Co movie theater...
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

At least they are allowing the students to carry on campus... That is a step in the right direction.
    RC12 likes this.

it’s a start, now for the students to prove they are responsible. Once that done maybe some of the stigma will ease up
    SKW likes this.

looks like the permit holders get zero home (dorm) defense. they have to check their guns in and out with police as they come and go. also sounds like most of the campus is still gun free. even insinuated most classrooms would be as well. I see additional law suits coming in the future over this. the university is more concerned about "protecting" students from other law abindig students than it is from criminals.

Quote Originally Posted by PTAaron View Post
    At least they are allowing the students to carry on campus... That is a step in the right direction.
    Just a minor point, the university is not allowing it, the court ordered it.

It also appears the university is doing everything in it's power to make it inconvenient for the students that do carry.
    Gforty, Eagleks and baren like this.

Good. Segregate them. See how that works out for the non-permit holders.

I think this was already running elsewhere.

But we all know which dorms will be safer.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    But we all know which dorms will be safer.
    I thought that initially as well but after reading the article it sounds as though the guns will be locked up and out of the owner's control while they're in the dorms. a dorm with an armory I guess. better than one without but not exactly ready to address a pervert climbing through my daughters window.

It's a bit idiotic to me. But, any rapes , robberies, or break ins, will more likely occur in and around the door with no gun owners.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

MJK
    This policy is noxious and it offends my sense of justice! It is reminiscent of the Jim Crow laws which segregated public places in the south before the civil rights act. What would the courts say if the university set up a special dorm for students who dyed there hair blue, or speak Mandarin Chinese, or keep a hammer in a toolkit, or any other legal attribute which happens to catch the university's notice?

Their alleged accommodation infringes on the students' right to keep and bear arms. Says so in the 2nd amendment to the constitution!
    remington79 likes this.
    [T]he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people. ---Tenche Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.

College campuses are not exactly the epitomy of sober behavior, especially dorms. Undoubtedly the university has some liability issues and it may well be their insurer handed them those requirements. And at the age of 21, there's not going to be very many CC holders living in the dorms. Big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by troutkiller View Post
    College campuses are not exactly the epitomy of sober behavior, especially dorms. Undoubtedly the university has some liability issues and it may well be their insurer handed them those requirements. And at the age of 21, there's not going to be very many CC holders living in the dorms. Big deal.
    while I agree the impact will be minimal. the precedent is certainly a big deal IMO.
    ep1953 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by troutkiller View Post
    I just recently graduated college and I would say you are dead wrong. The places with the least amount of sober behavior were private residences. Most kids in the dorms who were drunk got drunk off campus and returned home to sleep it off. But I still don't see what the relevance of sober behavior has to do with this discussion as we are not talking about alcohol or drug use.

Either way I don't like the idea of students not being allowed to keep guns in their dorm rooms. They are paying room and board and should be treated as adults as they are adults. At 18 they can get an apartment and I don't see the difference only the school (which is run by and funded by the taxes these kids pay) is acting as the landlord.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links