extra ammo carry

This is a discussion on extra ammo carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by oldnfat I just joined the wheel gun crowd with a new S&W airweight. I pocket carry in a pocket holster. Best, most ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: extra ammo carry

Quote Originally Posted by oldnfat View Post
    I just joined the wheel gun crowd with a new S&W airweight. I pocket carry in a pocket holster. Best, most comfortable method to carry extra ammo? Five shots might not be enough if the Zombies come. Thanks for any suggestions you might give me.
    I toss a speed loader into the bottom of the other front pocket. My wallet sits above it and since I already buy pants/shorts with larger pockets, retrieving the reload isn't a problem.

I've tried a couple different pouches for revolver speed loaders on the belt, but added to my molti-tool and cellphone holder, and I just don't want to feel like I'm wearing Batman's utility belt.

2. Remove Ads

Back in the day when I carried a wheelie, it was one speed strip in the watch pocket and a speed loader in the pocket below it. Worked out great since I'm a lefty! Funny thing is I use the watch pocket to carry a spare mag now. I just slide it in behind my belt and into the pocket.
    Question Everything!

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    No matter the weapon - ALWAYS carry spare ammo.
    Whatever grabs you. Personally, I have a distinct problem just having a load of metal on my body--I need more mags and speedloaders like a need a hole in the head--no pun intended on my part please. If 21 shots are not enough I am dead already.
    Tayopo likes this.

I carry 2 speed strips in an inexpensive flip-phone case on my left hip. Works like a dream! Plus, speed strips are surprisingly fast with a little practice. If I feel there's a chance that I'll be in an area where 15 rounds wouldn't be enough if SHTF, I carry 2 more speed strips in my left pocket.

You should always carry 2 reloads. If you are taking it serious enough to carry a gun for SD, learn to run the gun and your reloads.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    If 21 shots are not enough I am dead already.

Nice positive attitude towards self defense.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

40Bob

You should always carry 2 reloads. If you are taking it serious enough to carry a gun for SD, learn to run the gun and your reloads.
    Practice, practice, and more practice. Your reloads should be something you can do with your eyes closed...Bob is right, learn to run the gun.

Originally Posted by kelcarry
    If 21 shots are not enough I am dead already.
    That is a very poor mindset for self defense.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

I originally thought the speed strip should go in the left front pocket for a right handed shooter. I shoot with two hands (normally) and to reload I open the cylinder with my right thumb and have my left hand fingers through the cylinder opening, left thumb kicks the cases out and fingers and thumb rotate the cylinder while the right hand is inserting bullets from the speed strip. The speed strip in the watch pocket on the right or in the right pocket is a go for me. YMMV
    Retired AF pilot, Vietnam FAC 1967-68

South of Ol' Tascosa, two miles from water, twenty miles from Hell
    I started using Bianchi Speed Strips in my Duty Belt Dump Pouches in 1971. I then went to Speed Loaders later in the 70s, but I always carried two speed strips for my BUG which was a Model 49 that had been Armoloyed. I carried it partially down in the top of my boot.

Every now and then I'll carry one of my J Frame Revolvers and when I do, I carry two Bianchi Speed Strips.

Old habits die hard.

Jungle Work
    Superhouse 15 likes this.
    Graduate: University of South Vietnam-
    School of Jungle Warfare

CURRAHEE My Brothers In Blood

I carry extra ammo in a speed strip contained in a leather carrier for speed strips so the rounds don't accidentally come out.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Why carry extra ammo?

You just emptied, or mostly emptied, your sidearm dealing with a thug who wanted to harm you. As you wait for the police to arrive on scene, the thug's friends and family start to gather, rather angry that you decided to ventilate the poor, misunderstood miscreant. Feel OK standing there with an empty (or almost empty) gun?

Or...while you are waiting for the police to get there, the miscreant on the ground decides that he still has some fight left in him, after all.

Point is that the reload is for when the fight is over - just in case it isn't.

Carry spare ammo. I have a custom Remora pocket ammo holster that goes in a cargo pocket - carries a spare LCP mag and a speed loader for my LCR.
    ArmyMan and ksholder like this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Distinguished Member
    Thanks for all the good ideas. I think I'll try the Tuff Strips. Thanks Superhouse 15 for the help. I'll have to leave my pocket watch at home.

Spare Ammunition is a Must!

Hi. New to this forum, but not to carrying a firearm. For all you guys who have the "if X number of rounds isn't enough, then..." mindset, I want to point you in the direction of an experience that became very public. Back in 1997 an off-duty police officer was in a McDonalds in Barstow, CA when it was robbed. He subsequently wrote an after action report that was released to the public. The most pertinent aspect of that report was "ALWAYS carry extra ammo." You can find this report if you search; I'm not having any luck at the moment. In any case, the officer was armed with a subcompact Glock handgun. When he was confronted by the armed criminal and a shooting ensued, his handgun was emptied very quickly, and the full size magazine he carried as a spare became very important. This is really my point: If your armed intervention should turn into a two-way gunfight, you should not underestimate how quickly you may expend every round of ammo in whatever you're packing, even if it's a full size 9mm. We'd all like to think we could track rounds fired and hit our targets, but that doesn't always happen and if it doesn't, you should anticipate the need to reload your firearm.

With that said, I no longer use any revolvers, but when I did, I found speed strips to be simply too slow. With a great deal of practice, transitioning the revolver to the off hand to dump the brass while reloading with the strong hand, I was able to get very quick with speed loaders. It's still a lot of fine motor skill and digital manipulation, and it's hard to say if I could have been so efficient in an actual crisis. Fortunately I never found out, but I recommend making room for speed loaders.

Lastly, if worse comes to worse, any gun is better than no gun. This is just a subject where it seems prudent to tip the odds in our favor.

Distinguished Member
    Tuff Strips in their pouch for my Airweight.

Statistically speaking, in data collected from Sherrifs around the country, the average number of rounds fired in a gun fight is 5.

Of course who wants to bet their moment will be average.

George
    Smile. It makes people wonder what you are up to

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links