extra ammo carry - Page 3

extra ammo carry

This is a discussion on extra ammo carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by oldnfat I just joined the wheel gun crowd with a new S&W airweight. I pocket carry in a pocket holster. Best, most ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: extra ammo carry

Quote Originally Posted by oldnfat View Post
    I just joined the wheel gun crowd with a new S&W airweight. I pocket carry in a pocket holster. Best, most comfortable method to carry extra ammo? Five shots might not be enough if the Zombies come. Thanks for any suggestions you might give me.
    I had one of these briefly. My worry wasn't ever round count, it was putting them WHERE it counts. I couldn't hit jack squeeze with a snubster, and I am not a bad shot at all. Just didn't work for me and it was such an uncomfortable gun to shoot with and become proficient I sold it. But some of my buddies carry wheely guns in a belly band with speed strips and love them.

I just joined the wheel gun crowd with a new S&W airweight. I pocket carry in a pocket holster. Best, most comfortable method to carry extra ammo? Five shots might not be enough if the Zombies come. Thanks for any suggestions you might give me.
    Only 5 zombies?

I want to be in that movie.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Check your Snub. I have a 642 and most speed loaders don't work. I carry 2 Bianchi speed strips and practice the Ayoob method with just 5 rounds in the strip. Good luck. 5 Star firearm has a speed loader that works great on a 642 type snub. Going to but a couple and try 'em out.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by velo99 View Post
    Didn't know what a speed strip was since my revolver is SAA. When I looked it up. I read a short article on making your own. Then I saw an image I'd a bianchi strip. The thought occurred to me that they might be more efficient if the spacing was aligned to insert two rounds at a time instead if one. Have never used one but have a pretty good idea how they work.
    Anyone ?
    That IS how Bianchi Speed Strips are designed; two cartridges at a time is how I practice with them. I am not sure about Tuff Strips' spacing.

While Speed Strips are certainly a handy, organized, and compact way to carry spare ammo, they are most certainly not very speedy for a complete reload. When I still carried a sixgun as a duty handgun, I practiced reloading with speedloaders, with Speed Strips, with cartridge loops on the belt, and when that innovation arrived, with a 2x2x2 carrier. The Speed Strip is the SLOWEST of these for a complete reload, but its handiness is worth it, in my opinion.

One reason I love the Speed Strip is that it is a VERY fast and sure way to get TWO rounds into one's weapon. I believe that if one's revolver is totally empty, two very fast rounds may well trump a complete reload that takes longer.

Of course, my preferred emergency reload is made of stainless steel, and is made by Ruger; an SP101!

Quote Originally Posted by Secret Spuk View Post
    A couple of speed strips in the opposite pocket. That's 17 rounds.
    This, and a speed loader or two.
    In Absentia Luci Tenebrae Vincu

There is a line between good and evil, no wider than a razor's edge.
    I hold the line.
    I am the line.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    My reload is my Keds. I'm bringing more than my handgun to take on Zombies.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I've carried a 5 shot J frame 38 Special since May 1971. In all that time I've carried at 4-4:30 o'clock, either IWB or OWB. I carry two Bianchi® Speed Strips™ rubber banded together in my right year pocket. Additionally I carry a HKS® #36 Speed Loader in each front pants pocket. In colder weather I carry the gun in my inside left breast jacket pocket with speed loaders and speed strips in the outer jacket pocket(s).

In over 41 years of carrying, drawing, shooting, and reloading my J frames I am very confident in my abilities with same.
    David
    Only two defining forces have ever died for you.....
    1. Jesus Christ.
    2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, Marine, and Coast Guardsman.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom!

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    I just carry 1 extra magazine ... 15 + 1, + 15 = 31
    GunTrooper and Toorop like this.

I think that reloading with those strips uses fine motor skills. Even with enough practice to develope so-called "muscle memory" your fine motor skills break down once you get into the survival mode. If your life is threatened, your body will automatically devote more juice to essential survival motor skills, and the fine motor skills, (fine details accomplished with finger movements and manipulations) are degraded. S
    9MMare and Tayopo like this.

...realistically, I think that if ammo supply is a concern, then the threat you anticipate facing may involve a protracted gunfight. If that's the case, then a high capacity semi has to be your tool of choice. If it jams, clear the jam... That's a task that uses gross motor skills vs fine motor skills. And anyone using any type of gun other than a single shot shotgun, a double barrel shotgun, or a revolver has to learn to clear a jam...
    Tayopo likes this.

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Whatever grabs you. Personally, I have a distinct problem just having a load of metal on my body--I need more mags and speedloaders like a need a hole in the head--no pun intended on my part please. If 21 shots are not enough I am dead already.
    What happens if you have a magazine related malfunction after the first of those 21 shots. Fouled mag and no spare to replace it. You do know the magazine is the most oft. part of a semi. to fail and after having to rip it from the gun after something like a double feed it will more than likely take reseating the top round before you can replace it in the gun, that's if it will still function at all. Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyDTrigger View Post
    I just carry 1 extra magazine ... 15 + 1, + 15 = 31
    If I carry my CZ-75 it's 15+1 no extra mag. If I carry my Sig P-220 I carry 8+1 and 8. Even though it's the first 5 shots that count in most situations. I carry good Mecgar mags in the CZ and the P-220 These mags have never failed me yet in work outs.
    Sarg80
    Sig P-220 Primary Carry and CZ-75 Primary Carry
    Mauser HSc BUG
    Walther P-1 tertiary carry or when i want a break from the others
    S&W Model 66 (No Dash) for the woods

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Whatever grabs you. Personally, I have a distinct problem just having a load of metal on my body--I need more mags and speedloaders like a need a hole in the head--no pun intended on my part please. If 21 shots are not enough I am dead already.
    I agree that if 21 shots are not enough, you have big problems - but... What if your primary mag takes the opportunity to die after the first or second shot and a tap-rack drill does not solve the issue? I have had this problem, fortunately in training. If you are not carrying another mag, you have a pretty hammer or weird shaped rock.

Carrying an extra mag is at least as much about reliability as it is about more ammo. To each his own, but I would not want to be out an about with an auto-loader and a single mag.

ETA - looks like Matthew03 had the same thought I did. I was answering g as I read the thread and noticed his response above mine. I guess great minds think alike. :)
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

VIP Member
    Thanks for all the good ideas. I think I'll try the Tuff Strips. Thanks Superhouse 15 for the help. I'll have to leave my pocket watch at home.
    I took TDI's snubby class about 18 months ago. There were two distinct groups of people when we started, the speedloader group and the speed strip group. By the end of the weekend, after many, many reloads, most, if not all of the speed strip group saw the benefit of the speedloader. I don't care how much you practice, speed strips will never be as fast as speedloaders. My preference, when carrying a revolver (which is pretty rare these days) is for speedloaders. Try both, train with both, see what you really prefer.

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vlad883 View Post
    Check your Snub. I have a 642 and most speed loaders don't work.
    ^^^This is good, solid advice. Depends on the grips you have on the gun. The stock grips on mine do not work with speedloaders. The Hogue boot grip works fine with them and makes the gun easier & more comfortable to shoot, if a bit less easy to conceal.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links