extra ammo carry - Page 4

extra ammo carry

This is a discussion on extra ammo carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by matthew03 What happens if you have a magazine related malfunction after the first of those 21 shots. Fouled mag and no spare ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: extra ammo carry

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew03 View Post
    What happens if you have a magazine related malfunction after the first of those 21 shots. Fouled mag and no spare to replace it. You do know the magazine is the most oft. part of a semi. to fail and after having to rip it from the gun after something like a double feed it will more than likely take reseating the top round before you can replace it in the gun, that's if it will still function at all. Just saying.
    If I have a mag jam, I will probably be dead by the time I react to it, realize it is not going to get fixed right away, get the other mag and insert same. Multiply the odds of this whole scenario happening by the odds that I will be in such a situation in the first place with my attention to SA and 71 years of never, ever having any kind of imminent incident, the "what if" odds, as far as I am concerned, are easily equivalent to me being hit by lightning and I do not walk around with a grounded rod and full rubber boots for protection. Just saying. We all have to do what we all have to do and I prefer living my life with a little less concern.
    Tayopo and bsms like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    Only 5 zombies?

I want to be in that movie.
    9MMare - I like the new avitar - nice and colorful. Just have to wonder if you are using moon clips in it or is that something other than a 9MM?
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Distinguished Member
    Can't get myself to carry a revolver. I've seen too many news stories of people who end up expending more than 5 shots to get out of a situation. Also the one about the police officer (rookie) who, his partner was shot and he was in a battle with the guy who shot him and he quickly ran out of his ammo in his revolver, and while he was trying to reload the perp came up and dumped a few into the officer killing him. So, given that I have very little means to train under duress, I want to have more rounds before I have to reload. I have over double that - 11. And I carry one extra mag on me and one in my backpack for 31 rounds total. But that's me. That's what I feel comfortable with. Everyone is different and you have to make the decision of what you want. There is no fixed answer.
    Tayopo likes this.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DroidGeorge View Post
    Statistically speaking, in data collected from Sherrifs around the country, the average number of rounds fired in a gun fight is 5.

Of course who wants to bet their moment will be average.

George
    Do you got a source for this statement?

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    When I am out and about carrying, it is usually with a Glock 19 or a Glock 26. Either way I always have at least a spare Glock 17 round magazine on my person for a reload. However most of the time it is 2 spare magazines as I feel that helps balance the weight of the gun on my belt.

For those who carry a snubbie or other low capacity firearm, how would you feel if your opponent is armed with a High-cap weapon and a reload or two and you missed them with your snubbie/small CCW gun? It isn't as comforting knowing that I may only have 15-20 rounds and my opponent may have 2 or 3 times that amount on their person. Just something to consider.

I carry a XD 40 subcompact and keep the 9 round mag loaded in it. I also carry a 12 round spare mag.

Quote Originally Posted by Haywood View Post
    I always carry 2 Speed Strips and most of the time 1 or 2 Speed Loaders along with 2 357 Snubs.
    Two guns? Have you been attacked before?

Quote Originally Posted by CaveJohnson View Post
    Two guns? Have you been attacked before?
    I say good for him. If he can comfortably carry two guns, all the better. You don't really know how many bullets or guns you NEED, until that time actually comes, and by then its too late to decide to carry more.

2 guns

Ruger sp101 357 with a NY reload - body guard 380 in the pocket

I have been just carrying my Glock 26 with the standard 10 round magazine but yesterday I ordered the SHTF spare mag carrier. It will make me feel better to know that ill have at least 20 rounds on my person then just 10
    Sig Sauer P229 SCT, Sig Sauer P938, Glock 19 Gen 4, Glock 17 Gen 3, Remington 870, Grandpa's Old Single Shot 12 Gauge

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves. Abraham Lincoln

Hola Droid: cafe in the back patio? I believe that comes to about two 1/2 shots each no? Hardly shows the need for carrying around so much ammo that you are breaking down the transportation he he he

I have yet to empty my old fashioned 6 rnd revolver, but then I too, am of the old fashioned school of making each shot count, only fired if I have a clear shot picture.

This latter point is over written, as shown in basc psychology when one is thinking in terms of 10 - 20 shots per encounter, and speed of fire, rather than accuracy..

Don Jose de La Mancha

Quote Originally Posted by Switchblade906 View Post
    I have been just carrying my Glock 26 with the standard 10 round magazine but yesterday I ordered the SHTF spare mag carrier. It will make me feel better to know that ill have at least 20 rounds on my person then just 10

Good for you. My wife asked me one time if i really NEEDED my spare mag. i like to show people things when possible, so i pulled my gun, pointed it at the wall and said "bang" and "bumped" my mag release, it fell to the floor, baseplate came off and rounds went everywhere ( that was just a bonus for the demo), i said now what do i do (if no spare mag) she understood that i was screwed if all i had was one mag.

Hi Driod, assuming 1/2 of the shots are yours, you would still be up for more. How many shots would you need to hit an apponent at close range ? unless you are panicked.

Personally, I am still puzzled on the mind set of how any rounds that you can pack for an encounte. I have been in the situation where the nearst source of resupply was a week or more away, so I simply learned to make each shot count physically, rather than audibly, or not to fire.

"Learn to '''shoot'''' your gun, make a hit each time or don't just fire. "To whom it may concern shots " cannot be relied upon .

Don Jose de La Mancha

Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    9MMare - I like the new avitar - nice and colorful. Just have to wonder if you are using moon clips in it or is that something other than a 9MM?
    LOL, the cylinder doesnt even open out! They have a gate that you open to spin the cylinder and enter each bullet one at a time.

They are all stainless steel (I have 2) and weigh a ton (for a cc)! I use them for cowboy mounted shooting.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Administrator
    If you don't mind I'll give you some J-Frame revolver advice based on the actual life experience of a local off-duty LEO.
    Without going into any great detail since I did not know the guy personally...at the very least pop 5 loose extra cartridges into a pocket.
    That is what this LEO had done back in the 1980s and it worked out well for him.
    Luckily he had time to reload from behind cover and the incident ended after the first shot on his freshly reloaded revolver.
    I don't know all of the intricate details of that incident so I don't want to relay any incorrect information.
    It was just part of a S&W J-frame story that I heard at the local gun shop years ago when the conversation turned to the little Smith wheel guns.

Now there are really good Speed Strips.
    Back then the talk was centered around modifying a pistol magazine to house .38 SPL revolver cartridges and to use that stoked magazine as a means to quickly reload a revolver by thumbing the .38 SPL cartridges out of the magazine and directly into the revolver cylinder.

I wonder whatever happened to that idea. It sounded like a great and workable idea at the time.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links