extra ammo carry

extra ammo carry

This is a discussion on extra ammo carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just joined the wheel gun crowd with a new S&W airweight. I pocket carry in a pocket holster. Best, most comfortable method to carry ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: extra ammo carry

Distinguished Member

extra ammo carry

I just joined the wheel gun crowd with a new S&W airweight. I pocket carry in a pocket holster. Best, most comfortable method to carry extra ammo? Five shots might not be enough if the Zombies come. Thanks for any suggestions you might give me.
    ArmyMan and Tayopo like this.

A couple of speed strips in the opposite pocket. That's 17 rounds.

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    In my opinion, and, in my mind , 5 shots would be enough for me to feel comfortable.
    If the Zombies come, you are carring the wrong weapon.
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

VIP Member
    Speed strips or speed loaders either one will work. Speed loaders may be a bit quicker, however they add a little bulk to your dress. If your wearing a shirt untucked though the shouldn't be noticeable.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Haywood's Avatar
    I always carry 2 Speed Strips and most of the time 1 or 2 Speed Loaders along with 2 357 Snubs.
    Bad Bob likes this.

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    When I carry a revolver I also carry speed strips however I would hate to try to have to reload in any kind of hurry with one under fire. Speed loaders are faster but tough for me to conceal bulky bulky bulky!

Speed strip wrapped in a folded handkerchief, open end up.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

Quote Originally Posted by Secret Spuk View Post
    A couple of speed strips in the opposite pocket. That's 17 rounds.
    Ditto.

JD
    Author of Above Reproach, the new thriller that unequivocally positions the Second Amendment and concealed carry as our nation's most effective system of homeland and personal security.

Didn't know what a speed strip was since my revolver is SAA. When I looked it up. I read a short article on making your own. Then I saw an image I'd a bianchi strip. The thought occurred to me that they might be more efficient if the spacing was aligned to insert two rounds at a time instead if one. Have never used one but have a pretty good idea how they work.
    Anyone ?

if you are going to use one you need to practice with it. a lot. if you are not comfortable using live ammo to do so buy some snap caps. oh and they are like 10$ for two on amazon. not really worth making your own for that right?
    darbo likes this.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

Use Tuff Strips instead of the Bianchi Speed Strips. They have awesome customer service, and they make a lot more designs for all kinds of different calibers including shotguns. They make a 5 shot Strip that will fit perfectly im the little pocket above the right front pocket of most jeans, or even next to your wallet in your back pocket. They make Strips in different colors so you could color code your ammo as well.

For other carry options you could use a pager case or cell phone case on the belt to hold spare ammo. You might also search the "used holster and miscelaneous junk" bins commonly found in most good gun shops. If you get lucky you could find an old dump pouch. Speed Strips were made to fit those, and nobody but an old dinosaur cop or serious gun enthusiast would know what it was.
    sgb, AZJD1968 and deputy125 like this.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

No matter the weapon - ALWAYS carry spare ammo.
    sgb, Bad Bob, Secret Spuk and 1 others like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

i prefer Speed Strips when carrying my 5-shot J-frame in a pocket (because they're flatter). but WATCH the Ayoob video, and PRACTICE reloading your weapon. with practice it's a reasonably quick reload.

with a holster-carried revolver, i use speedloaders for the extra ammo.

for velo99: you DO insert two rounds at a time with a Speed Strip.

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    Use Tuff Strips instead of the Bianchi Speed Strips. They have awesome customer service, and they make a lot more designs for all kinds of different calibers including shotguns. They make a 5 shot Strip that will fit perfectly im the little pocket above the right front pocket of most jeans, or even next to your wallet in your back pocket.
    Watch pocket, actually made for a pocket watch, which as time has went by and technology has advanced.. I haven't seen anyone use one in years. I have one that used to be my grandfathers...but for practical purposes they are now, sadly, a thing of the past.
    I put my Zippo in that pocket, but I see how it would be a great spot for a speed strip! Great Idea!
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AZJD1968 View Post
    In my opinion, and, in my mind , 5 shots would be enough for me to feel comfortable.
    If the Zombies come, you are carring the wrong weapon.
    Agree. I understand this extra ammo thing--to each his own--but do you really believe that after 5 or 6 shots you are going to be in a position or were in a position to actually reload and continue to fire? Hey, if it makes you feel better, safer,and gives you more confidence in your safety, have at it. If this is something you take very seriously and something that can readily happen where you live, then you have the wrong firearm. A semi auto may not have the reliability of a revolver, but it can have 10 or 15 more shots already there without the need for a reload, which probably will be the last thing you are doing once you have expended those first 5 shots.
    Tayopo likes this.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links