Do you feel safe at work?

This is a discussion on Do you feel safe at work? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by ArmyMan I've addressed you before and said " Hello from FOB Sharana, Afghanistan ". I love how you ignore the fact that ...

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314 LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Do you feel safe at work?

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyMan View Post
    I've addressed you before and said "Hello from FOB Sharana, Afghanistan".

I love how you ignore the fact that I'm in Afghanistan at the moment and do PT every morning

I mean, do I have to tell you that being in a combat zone means I don't have my children with me? No private employer right now, either. There will be soon as this wedding is coming to an end, but not today.
    So you're with the 842nd Engineer Company. Thank you for your service.

As for the rest of your post above I will ignore its tone.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Don't know about some folks on this forum complaining about not having enough time for PT. If someone can post for an hour I do believe they can get an hour of cardio in. I just did 7 miles running in the time it takes certain people to post in that same time frame......just saying that time management can be your friend.
    I just watched Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz talking nonsense on a news program. Seven miles is nothing compared to that.

Michael
    suntzu likes this.

:SNIP:
    If an employer requires a uniform, the employer should have to provide the uniform. Likewise if the employer wants to have a gun-free workplace, the employer should provide gun lockers.
    :SNIP:
    Many professions require employees to wear Suits and ties. The companies do not provide them for you nor do they have to. If you do not like the policy you are free to change jobs. You do have a right to work. You just don't have a right to work for me. You have a right to do many things. You do not have a right to force me to help you exercise those rights.
    As I said earlier, no, I don't feel safe at work, primarily because employers are allowed to abuse the Constitution and tell employees they can't even carry while off private property and off the clock.
    Unless your employer is the Government the Constitution has nothing to do with your work rules. The Constitution only restricts what the Government can do. It does not restrict what private citizens can do. That aside, if your employer is actually telling you that you cannot carry when you are off the clock I would ask them for a copy of their employee rules book. I would like to see that policy.

Michael
    Last edited by mlr1m; August 21st, 2012 at 12:12 PM. Reason: I made an oopsie

Today the Army gives us an ADO order form with a cash value, and we mark the items we want to order. The items we order typically show up within a few weeks. We don't pay for any part of our uniform. Exceptions exist: If we want a combat patch that we're authorized but weren't issued, or if we want our own boots from the authorized list, we pay for that ourselves.
    I have to comment on this one. The Army only provides ADO to service members that are deployed to a combat zone. They don't provide to every service member all the time. Maybe you should understand what you are talking about before you make statements. I understand as I am a 21 year active duty service member.

It is not your employer's problem that you are a single parent. It is not their problem that the only time you have for physical training is when you ride to work. I understand your position, but claiming that your employer is infringing on you 2A rights while you commute to work is completely false. It is also not the employer's responsibility to accommodate your need to conceal carry.

One last thing, I would never allow one of my younger NCO's to act in the manner that you are. NCO's solve problems, they don't just sit and complain. Act like an NCO, and come up with a solution to what you think is a problem.

Sent from my iPad2 using Tapatalk
    NotMallNinja and tacman605 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Many professions require employees to wear Suits and ties. The companies do not provide them for you nor do they have to. If you do not like the policy you are free to change jobs. You do have a right to work. You just don't have a right to work for me. You have a right to do many things. You do not have a right to force me to help you exercise those rights.
    I have no problem perchesing a holster that will not interfere with the wear and appearance of the company uniform or dress code.

Unless your employer is the Government the Constitution has nothing to do with your work rules. The Constitution only restricts what the Government can do. It does not restrict what private citizens can do. That aside, if your employer is actually telling you that you cannot carry when you are off the clock I would ask them for a copy of their employee rules book. I would like to see that policy.

Michael
    I just gave one such source this evening on this thread.

I have no problem perchesing a holster that will not interfere with the wear and appearance of the company uniform or dress code.
    ArmyMan, your purchasing a holster is entirely unrelated to the argument you previously advanced about your employer having to provide you a uniform (let alone to follow their dress code).

Your post here is yet another example of your incongruent responses.

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    Any chance a two-person discussion can be taken to PM? Kind of distracts from everything else.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

VIP Member
    I have chosen to stay out of most of this, but I have one question....

It was stated that the Air Force can show a "demonstrable need" to maintain a gun free zone. What is that need? I am not familiar with the Air Force or the way things are done, but this one seems strange to me.

Thanks to anyone who can answer this for me.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

I've addressed you before and said "Hello from FOB Sharana, Afghanistan".

I love how you ignore the fact that I'm in Afghanistan at the moment and do PT every morning

I mean, do I have to tell you that being in a combat zone means I don't have my children with me? No private employer right now, either. There will be soon as this wedding is coming to an end, but not today.

But hey, that's alright, let's say I'm at home: My computer's on all day, I stop in and check a few forums every once in a while in the morning before I head out, in the evenings, days off, and even during lunch at work. I have a droid with tapatalk, so I could be anywhere at the time my post is made. What makes you think I'm available to go PT at those times? I did mention I have children in tow, right? Right.

Attention to detail.
    Must have missed that you were still in Afghanistan. I don't follow every one of your post Take your PT test there then don't worry about it for a few months. Your college should be free. The money you are making is tax free plus with family sep, combat pay, I would suggest you put some of that money away and get yourself a nice stationary bike.
    ArmyMan likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaDawg View Post
    Any chance a two-person discussion can be taken to PM? Kind of distracts from everything else.
    Absolutely, I have nothing more to say on the hijacked thread I participated in.

To answer the original question posted in this thread I do feel safe at work. I feel less safe outside of work on post given all of the idiots who drive while texting. Unbelievable how much texting has infiltrated driving and how many people believe it is acceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckkarl View Post
    I have to comment on this one. The Army only provides ADO to service members that are deployed to a combat zone. They don't provide to every service member all the time. Maybe you should understand what you are talking about before you make statements. I understand as I am a 21 year active duty service member.
    We're comparing full-time job with full-time job, right? Otherwise the Army uniform example was an invalid comparison.

It is not your employer's problem that you are a single parent.
    It's not my employer's fault, but it can be his problem if I have to respond to an emergency because there's no one else in the picture. One of the things that attracted me to the construction profession is that most of the employers are very family oriented and willing to take on burdens when there's a problem at home. One of the best ways to get in good with a company happens to be giving at least the appearance and lip service to covering for someone else who has a problem.

It is not their problem that the only time you have for physical training is when you ride to work.
    It's not the employer's fault, but it can be their problem. In fact many construction employers will offer just to pick you up at your home if need be, at no expense.

I understand your position, but claiming that your employer is infringing on you 2A rights while you commute to work is completely false.
    It's true because that's how we're getting cars protected.

It is also not the employer's responsibility to accommodate your need to conceal carry.
    I agree completely. All costs associated with my carrying, should fall on me. Nothing is required of the employer, but to not ban it. I accept all liability and all responsibility, I'm willing to sign a notarized waiver to that effect, and I am willing to agree in writing to repay my employer for any damage they might still incur despite said waiver. My employer doesn't need to do anything.

One last thing, I would never allow one of my younger NCO's to act in the manner that you are. NCO's solve problems, they don't just sit and complain. Act like an NCO, and come up with a solution to what you think is a problem.
    These laws are the solution.

Quote Originally Posted by NotMallNinja View Post
    ArmyMan, your purchasing a holster is entirely unrelated to the argument you previously advanced about your employer having to provide you a uniform (let alone to follow their dress code).

Your post here is yet another example of your incongruent responses.
    The uniform reference was analogous to the gun locker, but seeing as how pro-employer doesn't want the locker and pro-carry doesn't want to put the gun in the locker, I don't know why we're still talking about it. It was a suggestion I made which everyone rejected.

Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    I have chosen to stay out of most of this, but I have one question....

It was stated that the Air Force can show a "demonstrable need" to maintain a gun free zone. What is that need? I am not familiar with the Air Force or the way things are done, but this one seems strange to me.

Thanks to anyone who can answer this for me.
    Ellsworth Air Force Base: The main runway is within effective pistol range of major roads. Private guns on those roads posses the same hazard to aircraft as guns on the tarmac of a civilian airport.

Also, Ellsworth houses nukes, and operates many of the unmanned drones I see flying over my head, so that alone is going to step up the level of control.

We're comparing full-time job with full-time job, right? Otherwise the Army uniform example was an invalid comparison.
    That's a funny statement, since you brought up the Army uniform example in the first place. Bottom line is that you feel your employer is infringing on your rights. If they are or are not is debatable. You claiming that it is your employer's problem is your opinion. Like you, I have my own opinion, that just happens to be similar to lots of others in this thread. If you are not happy with the employer's choice to not allow weapons, find a different employer. As I prepare to retire from the military and begin job hunting, the employer's stance on conceal carry is something I will have to consider. If I don't agree with the employer's position, I can look elsewhere. We all have a choice.

Sent from my iPad2 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaDawg View Post
    Whether or not I feel safe at work? No, I don't feel safe. I'm either at risk of being fired carrying, or not carrying and at risk of being some masked swordsman's victim. Not very safe at all.

Links