Do you feel safe at work? - Page 3

Do you feel safe at work?

This is a discussion on Do you feel safe at work? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I work part time in a gunstore and most of the sales people are armed. Heck, a couple of us even know what to do ...

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Do you feel safe at work?

Senior Member Array royal barnes's Avatar
    I work part time in a gunstore and most of the sales people are armed. Heck, a couple of us even know what to do with our hardware.
    ArmyMan likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    They don't.
    And so therefore an employer can't logically prohibit firearms at work since that policy would reach beyond the employer's private property rights.

The compromise, however, is for an employer who wishes to ban firearms at work to provide gun lockers.

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Is it their policy that prevents you from arming yourself when you leave their property. Or is it possibly your choice to ride a bicycle that is preventing you from doing so?

Michael
    Both. The employer could snap their fingers and change the policy instantaneously, just as I could use my car.

I advance the pro-2A side because I have a need to perform low-impact cardio and I have a need to carry a firearm, whereas the typical employer has no need to ban firearms.

Quote Originally Posted by royal barnes View Post
    I work part time in a gunstore and most of the sales people are armed. Heck, a couple of us even know what to do with our hardware.
    Given some of the stories on other threads about some of the stupid things customers in gun stores do, arming the staff of a gun store only makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyMan View Post
    Their rights only exist on the property. Their rights do not exist off the property. When their policy infringes on someone who is not on the property, not in a company car, or on the clock, the policy is not justified by their private property rights.
    But their policy does not infringe on your right. Your choice to use a mode of transportation that does not allow you to secure your weapon does.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Distinguished Member
    I've never told a boss. How did you approach it?

Frankly, given some of the responses I've gotten on this forum, I'm surprised your boss didn't get all but-hurt and for being "sneaky" and fire you. It's good to know I'm not the only contractor out there carrying on the job.
    Well, he is my boss but he is also my exact age and a pretty close friend. I've been working for him and been his right hand man since he started the company, we have ALOT of respect for eachother. LOL, he really doesn't even like me calling him a "boss". So, its a very different situation from the usual employer/employee relationship. Heck we've been out shooting together on some of his family's land. I told him when I was going to take the carry permit class and everything. But all that said, I still was alittle weary about telling him. He is one of about three or four people that really know I carry. But ya, if it wasn't for all that background there is NO WAY I would have ever let it out of the bag.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

i feel safe at work but i work inside a refinery, and we cannot carrry weapons on the plant property... it really sucks to me because if i leave work and stop to go pick something up for the wife from a store and dang i dont have if i needed it... i just hate that policy..

Both. The employer could snap their fingers and change the policy instantaneously, just as I could use my car.

I advance the pro-2A side because I have a need to perform low-impact cardio and I have a need to carry a firearm, whereas the typical employer has no need to ban firearms.
    You have gone beyond demanding your employer give up his rights on his own property. Now you are demanding the he accommodate the choices you make when you are not on his property.

Michael

VIP Member
    Armyman as has been stated you choose to ride your bike to work so you are choosing a mode of transportation that does not allow you to lock up your gun. That is your choice.
    An employer can prohibit firearms on his property because the law says he can, please do not get another post on a downward spiral to promote your agenda. As others have stated the world does not revolve around the 2A and you right to carry there are other things and other rights and people involved.
    Brad426 likes this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    Armyman as has been stated you choose to ride your bike to work so you are choosing a mode of transportation that does not allow you to lock up your gun. That is your choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    But their policy does not infringe on your right. Your choice to use a mode of transportation that does not allow you to secure your weapon does.
    My choice in mode of transportation is contributory, I don't deny that. My choice in mode of transportation is not arbitrary, however, whereas the employers choice to have a gun-free workplace is arbitrary.

That's the difference between each party's choice. One is necessary, the other is baseless preference.

If an employer requires a uniform, the employer should have to provide the uniform. Likewise if the employer wants to have a gun-free workplace, the employer should provide gun lockers.

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    An employer can prohibit firearms on his property because the law says he can...
    That's the problem, thank you for restating it. Hopefully we can get that changed soon, there is certainly case law supporting the change.

As I said earlier, no, I don't feel safe at work, primarily because employers are allowed to abuse the Constitution and tell employees they can't even carry while off private property and off the clock.

My choice in mode of transportation is contributory, I don't deny that. My choice in mode of transportation is not arbitrary, however, whereas the employers choice to have a gun-free workplace is arbitrary.

That's the difference between each party's choice. One is necessary, the other is baseless preference.

If an employer requires a uniform, the employer should have to provide the uniform. Likewise if the employer wants to have a gun-free workplace, the employer should provide gun lockers.
    Like I said before, Its simple find another job. You do not like his/her rules of your employment. And yes they do have the right to be carry free if you are on the clock representing them. Its part of your employment.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Like I said before, Its simple find another job. You do not like his/her rules of your employment. And yes they do have the right to be carry free if you are on the clock representing them. Its part of your employment.
    I'm not on the clock. That's the rub. That's my point. I'm not on the clock. They aren't paying me. I'm not on their property. I'm not in a company vehicle. I'm not performing my duties for the employer.

An employer has no authority over an employee outside of work.

I'm not on the clock. That's the rub. That's my point. I'm not on the clock. They aren't paying me. I'm not on their property. I'm not in a company vehicle. Your current employer's rules do not apply to you while you are not on the job.

An employer has no authority over an employee outside of work.
    Your right, then carry. If your not violating any laws have at it.
    ArmyMan likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Me, not particularly. I did decide to keep the set of kitchen knives that they gave me as a gift in my office. No room for it at home without the kids being able to get them.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Not all the time, but then again, being a Paramedic I deal with the exact same people that LEOs do and have had more than my fair share of wrestling matches with angry people.

But then again, one button press on my radio and I have 6 squad cars on scene in less than a minute ready to bust some heads, so I guess it's even?

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Links