Do you feel safe at work? - Page 4

Do you feel safe at work?

This is a discussion on Do you feel safe at work? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Depends which job--I have three: At the hospital, while I don't particularly FEEL unsafe, I am quite aware that no weapons are allowed, and our ...

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Do you feel safe at work?

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Depends which job--I have three: At the hospital, while I don't particularly FEEL unsafe, I am quite aware that no weapons are allowed, and our Security is unarmed, therefore, if anything were to happen, it is quite a target-rich enviroment. As Suntzu has mentioned/alluded to, the actual threat level is probably quite low, but I try to keep my SA up and sent our head of Security a link to the DHS video about workplace response to an active shooter.

In my job as a Mental Health Therapist, I feel safe(r) because while I end up dealing with some "interesting" folks occasionally, I cc.

In my job on our small ranch, I'm more in danger be getting kicked by an angry cow, or slipping and falling into--well, we won't go there
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

@Armyman: Your choice of transportation is not necessary to your employer you are complaining about. You feel the need to bike to work so you can meet the requirements of another employer (US Army). So it is a choice that you are making. As far as time to do your PT. I have always had time to do my own PT on my own time and never complained about how it affected my 2A rights.

All of your worries and complaints are coming from life choices you have made.

If you can not juggle the requirements of both jobs then you need to make a personal choice of what you want to do. If you need to get your bike out after work or better yet, get a bike hitch and take your bike to work and then go for a ride before or after work...life is not that difficult.

yup, I carry at work
    ArmyMan likes this.

As a welder in heavy steel fab its not very practical to keep large metal objects on my person that are sensitive to molten metal and foreign debris. This is before you account for the near acrobatic nature of my vocation. Any time you perform an activity that has and will be expected to set you ON FIRE occasionally is not something you do when armed.

I don't carry nor would I want to. Do I feel safe? Well the faculity is expansive with literally tons of bullet proof cover and potential weapons galore.

The coyotes however are getting brave of late around the place.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Do I feel safe at work? Heck I do not feel safe in this country with a bunch of inmates running the asylum formerly known as the USA.
    Last edited by kelcarry; August 20th, 2012 at 07:54 AM.
    vca2004 likes this.

Yep sure do! Of course, I work from home now.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

Quote Originally Posted by stevem174 View Post
    Yep sure do! Of course, I work from home now.
    100 percent of all home invasions happen at home

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyMan View Post
    And so therefore an employer can't logically prohibit firearms at work since that policy would reach beyond the employer's private property rights.

The compromise, however, is for an employer who wishes to ban firearms at work to provide gun lockers.
    Have you offered to provide your own locker or split the cost with them? After all it is your choices that have put you in this situation and they have no obligation to accomdate them.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Six
    Do I feel safe at work? Well let's see, I have an M4 carbine, a Benelli M4 shotgun, four handguns in my drawer, and several hundred rounds of ammunition in my office. I guess I do feel safe.

Nope. The company I work for has a no weapons policy for employees.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    Nope. The company I work for has a no weapons policy for employees.
    I asked this earlier..do you or anybody else feel safe driving to work? Or do you not even think about it. Much more dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyMan View Post
    One of the NCOs in my platoon is also a policeman in my town. He got more than a bit hot and bothered when a buddy and I were talking about carrying guns in the civilian world, and I said "I feel safer here, in Afghanistan, then I do at home."

When something happens in-theater, you're armed, you're surrounded by friends who are also armed, and there's a plan already in place for most emergencies. No matter what happens, no one goes through anything alone.

When something happens at home, you may or may not be allowed to be armed, you're probably surrounded by strangers who shift into mob-mentality sheeple and panic, only 1/3rd of them are armed and of that 1/3rd who knows what % can actually use their weapon effectively, and it will take the cops hours to set up a plan.

I feel safer out on a build project in southern Gaznie Provence then I do walking to the store at home. In theater, there's safety in numbers, at home, I'm an individual.

Now, in my state, if I saw my boss post 'no firearms' signs, I would smirk and start looking for another place to work, all the while carrying anyway. My life is more important then his bottom line.
    I respect your service, and have a good buddy that has done a couple tours in Iraq, but I have to just throw this in the mix. Here at home, you don't have IED's lining the streets of your neighborhood and freeways. You're also not walking around in a uniform that paints you as a target for the enemy, or a military vehicle that the enemy can easily spot. I think knowing your buddy is armed and has your back, and that you're all trained is great. It is what helps you to feel confident in a very chaotic situation, but to suggest that you are more safe there than here seems a bit different from reality.

didn't have the chance to read all responses, but one in particular caught my attention.. Yes, this is a dangerous world and we can die from anything and more chances from a car accident. Understood!, BUT i want to at least work at a place in which I can feel safe whenever possible. Driving to work is risky enough. Now, i have to work 8-9 hrs/day hoping those threats made were all bogus.
    ArmyMan likes this.

Working in ems for many years I can say yes ... we go into strangers houses all the time and yes most people invited us by calling 911 and know who we are I have had instances where people were high; drunk' or maybe just confused and may not be thinking straight ..just recently while in a not so great part of town we were on scene with the fire Dept no police around and the patient took a turn for the worse we were being heavily intimidated by several irate family members because they didn't understand what was being done and thought we were doing harm to the patient many times I have thought it would be nice to have something on me but its against. Policy and a firing ofence.....
    ArmyMan likes this.

EMS should be allowed to carry because IMO that is an occupational hazard directly related to your job.
    TN_Mike likes this.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links