Do you feel safe at work? - Page 5

Do you feel safe at work?

This is a discussion on Do you feel safe at work? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yes I feel safe in my work place. The boss always armed. Ahhh wait a minute! I am the boss....

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Do you feel safe at work?

Yes I feel safe in my work place. The boss always armed. Ahhh wait a minute! I am the boss.
    ArmyMan and pir8fan like this.
    Semper Fi
    "Marines don't surrender-they win or die." from Brute

I posted this before, but wanted to chime in with it here, fits better I think.

My boss requires I carry at all times and paid for my cc weapon. This is after the Bank across from us got hit and the one 2 doors down. I also must ad I work for my wife who doesn't carry or know much about guns.
    ArmyMan and miller_man like this.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    I feel perfectly safe at work... I usually have two pistols on me, and a AR or an Kel-Tec Sub 2000! Or an M1a stashed under my desk.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Do you feel safe at work?
    Yes I do.

I do not work "at" a place. I am a Field Service Engineer. I travel to several locations in the course of my job and I carry all the time. Most times at site it is just a Ruger LCP .380 but I am armed. And, most sites I go to I get to park in a secure parking facility. Still I am cautious because most times I am there is after normal working hours.

My current career allows me to be armed nearly 100% of the time. I am very happy about that aspect of it.
    JoJoGunn likes this.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    Have you offered to provide your own locker or split the cost with them?
    I've never told an employer I carry for that question to come up. And before folks jump on the 'you're braking company rules' bandwagon, no, only 1 construction employer I've ever worked for had any kind of policy on weapons; and that was because I was hired for a 9 month term for an Air-force job on-base.

I wouldn't expect to be asked to pay half the cost for a uniform, PPE, or special parking permit required for the job; even in my highschool days when I worked fast-food and grocery, I was never asked to pay half the cost for the lockers in the brake room, so I wouldn't expect to pay half the cost for a gun locker, either.

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyMan View Post
    I've never told an employer I carry for that question to come up. And before folks jump on the 'you're braking company rules' bandwagon, no, only 1 construction employer I've ever worked for had any kind of policy on weapons; and that was because I was hired for a 9 month term for an Air-force job on-base.

I wouldn't expect to be asked to pay half the cost for a uniform, PPE, or special parking permit required for the job; even in my highschool days when I worked fast-food and grocery, I was never asked to pay half the cost for the lockers in the brake room, so I wouldn't expect to pay half the cost for a gun locker, either.
    There ya go...didn't think you had it in you. Required. You are not required to carry a gun so therefore your employer has zero responsibility to accommodate you. But I do agree that if an employer decides to not allow guns they should offer to store the weapons while you are on the clock. Some follks don't have their owns cars to lock up the gun and though not being denied the right to carry by the employer to and from work it ends up they have to leave the gun at home.

Still, employees responsibility, not the employer.

Do I feel safe at work? Absolutely. I always carry and I own the company.
    ArmyMan likes this.

VIP Member
    Do I feel safe at work? NO, but that comes with the job. At least I'm always armed with multiple options and have a radio to call armed friends who can get here fast to help.

Anyone who feels safe in this job needs to retire because they have become complacent, and that gets people killed.
    Bad Bob and thephanatik like this.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

I need to retract my earlier post where I said I Don't feel safe at work because I work at a University.... I FEEL VERY SAFE!!! Its a GUN FREE ZONE :)
    Glock 20sf, Sig P938

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    There ya go...didn't think you had it in you. Required. You are not required to carry a gun so therefore your employer has zero responsibility to accommodate you. But I do agree that if an employer decides to not allow guns they should offer to store the weapons while you are on the clock. Some follks don't have their owns cars to lock up the gun and though not being denied the right to carry by the employer to and from work it ends up they have to leave the gun at home.

Still, employees responsibility, not the employer.
    Employers should be responsible for the gun lockers for the same reason employers are responsible for parking space: Public Accommodation. Thank you for taking the bait on that one by ignoring my brake-room locker qualifier

VIP Member
    Armyman you are a character to say the least, annoying but a character. In order to work or shop in a building one would assume that you would need a parking spot to park your car but the company is not required to provide you or the public with a personal parking spot unless you are handicapped in some way and unless you want to say because of your undue paranoia of work related incidents you are handicapped that might let you park your bike closer to the building but won't help with the carry part.

You are not required to carry at work as part of your job unless you are a tactical carpenter or something so therefore there is no employer responsibility to provide you squat, nothing, nada. As I stated before you can post studies, stats, opinions or bait the fact remains that businesses can keep you from carrying at work because the law says so. It does not matter what is in the works or this will/could/might someday happen the truth remains It's not happening now so get over it already.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Yes and no to the question "do I feel safe" at work.

I work for a County Assessor, well at least until the next election comes and we get a new Assessor, I'm not so sure about the future. I work in and out of the Court House as a Real Estate Appraiser.

When I am inside the Court House I feel fairly safe, we have Security on each of the main entrances manned by armed security personell with metal detectors the public must go through after emptying pockets. I also am near Sheriff Deputies who are armed with Sig .45's so anyone inside the building that would become a threat is minimal.

However, much of my work is done alone outside the building going to properties for the purpose of appraisal. This means I could encounter just about anyone and I am not allowed by law to have a firearm on me or inside the County owned vehicle that I drive for work. I must say there have been "moments" I wish that I did have a firearm. Once I was threatened by a man in a subdivision that resulted in me calling the Sheriff to come and have a "chat" with this person. It was the first time in the 16 years of employment that I actually had to do that.

The biggest problem that I would face and be dangerous would be Meth Labs. I have encountered several, but was unaware until later when the Sheriff's Drug Task force showed up to bust them. Plus there are propeties I must visit that are large acerage, and the possibility of walking into a field of Marijuana is a definite possibility.

So I feel safe in the Court House, but less safe as a Field Appaiser.
    ArmyMan likes this.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    About as safe as one can in an unarmed building with key card access...

Basically 2 seconds more safe than a building without key card access...

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    Armyman you are a character to say the least, annoying but a character. In order to work or shop in a building one would assume that you would need a parking spot to park your car but the company is not required to provide you or the public with a personal parking spot unless you are handicapped in some way and unless you want to say because of your undue paranoia of work related incidents you are handicapped that might let you park your bike closer to the building but won't help with the carry part.

You are not required to carry at work as part of your job unless you are a tactical carpenter or something so therefore there is no employer responsibility to provide you squat, nothing, nada. As I stated before you can post studies, stats, opinions or bait the fact remains that businesses can keep you from carrying at work because the law says so. It does not matter what is in the works or this will/could/might someday happen the truth remains It's not happening now so get over it already.
    The employer's policy reaches beyond their private property and scope of employment. Therefore the employer must either remove the policy or provide gun lockers, just as employers are being forced to look the other way while guns are lawfully stored in a car.

Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    Yes and no to the question "do I feel safe" at work.

I work for a County Assessor, well at least until the next election comes and we get a new Assessor, I'm not so sure about the future. I work in and out of the Court House as a Real Estate Appraiser.

When I am inside the Court House I feel fairly safe, we have Security on each of the main entrances manned by armed security personell with metal detectors the public must go through after emptying pockets. I also am near Sheriff Deputies who are armed with Sig .45's so anyone inside the building that would become a threat is minimal.

However, much of my work is done alone outside the building going to properties for the purpose of appraisal. This means I could encounter just about anyone and I am not allowed by law to have a firearm on me or inside the County owned vehicle that I drive for work. I must say there have been "moments" I wish that I did have a firearm. Once I was threatened by a man in a subdivision that resulted in me calling the Sheriff to come and have a "chat" with this person. It was the first time in the 16 years of employment that I actually had to do that.

The biggest problem that I would face and be dangerous would be Meth Labs. I have encountered several, but was unaware until later when the Sheriff's Drug Task force showed up to bust them. Plus there are propeties I must visit that are large acerage, and the possibility of walking into a field of Marijuana is a definite possibility.

So I feel safe in the Court House, but less safe as a Field Appaiser.
    I wonder if that's something you could talk to a judge about, one that works in your court house. I know that many counties give judges leeway to make an order authorizing specific individuals to carry sidearms while on duty. It's worth looking into.

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Links