Do you feel safe at work?

This is a discussion on Do you feel safe at work? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; There were quite a few times I did not feel safe at work. My job requires that I drive, park, and work in some of ...

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Do you feel safe at work?

There were quite a few times I did not feel safe at work. My job requires that I drive, park, and work in some of the more "unsavory" neighborhoods. There's been quite a few times that I walked into a house and saw drugs. One guy even had a stack of cash and a Hi-Point laid out on the coffee table. My employer doesn't "allow" me to be armed while working. No gun, knife, pepper spray, or anything they consider a weapon.

So no, I don't always feel safe at work.

2. Remove Ads

I feel very safe at work. Several Uniformed Federal Police are about 20 feet from my office at any given time.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

VIP Member
    I used to manage property. I realized that was a death-wish and just not worth the money. I'm still unloading that responsibility.

I still buy & sell land. You'd be amazed at how many idiots out there think that they own land that they do not, and how crazy they get when they find out.

I stay armed to the teeth.

I have been in the Army for 26 years and going. The point many are making, ArmyMan, is that we choose who our employer is. We choose to abide by their rules as a condition of employment. Your posts make that abundantly clear. You could, provided you are not under a current enlistment contract, choose to no longer remain under the employ of the United States Army (in your case it appears that you are either employed by the South Dakota Army National Guard or the United States Army Reserve). If you are an officer (which appears unlikely given that you are taking "collage" [sic] classes), you would be able to resign your commission provided you are past your statutory obligation and have not attended resident military schooling with a service obligation attached.

Your list of reasons are no different than the choices those of us in and out of the military have to make on a daily basis. That is, how to balance employment requirements/obligations with your personal life. To recap, you chose your service in the military on a part-time basis (ironically, had you chose to be employed by the military on a full-time basis you would have a place to ride a stationary bike or swim but not on the "24/7 acess" [sic] you seem to prefer. Regardless of the reasons for your "documented knee problem," it is your responsibility to get better and not your employer's. Even a Soldier often has to work out on his or her own outside of established physical training in order to meet the conditions of his/her employer.

Please, stop complaining and either accept the conditions of your employment (both your military and non-military employers) or gain new employment that is more supportive of your carrying. Complaining about your station in life while doing nothing to change it makes you a complainer and nothing more. You have choices, go make some.

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyMan View Post
    • My job, my employer in the Army requires me to meet a PT standard. I don't have a choice in that.
    • I have a documented knee problem. I don't have a choice in that.
    • I don't have my own stationary bike, money to buy one, a place to put it, or 24/7 acess to a pool. I don't have a choice in that.
    • I can't go bike riding at a performance level that will challenge my cardio while my children are tagging along, nor do I have the money to pay a babysitter every other day so I can ride solo. I don't have a choice in that.

Riding my bike to work after the children have been put on the buss is the best way for me to get my low-to-no impact cardio in.

The same is true of my collage classes, but we're not debating carrying on school grounds here.
    Last edited by NotMallNinja; August 20th, 2012 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Fixed spacing.
    WHEC724 likes this.

VIP Member
    Well it seems no matter how much sense I make, the questions I ask or how nice I am all I get is more studies that have nothing to do with the topic, questions go unanswered or answered with more questions and being nice just doesn't get it anymore I guess.

Armyman everyone on this forum has again answered your questions over and over. Once again you have drawn everyone in to try to get the response you want with the same lame studies and statistics. You still have not answered the question into this gang threat that you have against you or the question in reference to what if it was your kids caught in the crossfire but I don't expect you to because the threat more than likely does not exist and it will surprise me greatly if you even own a gun much less carry it while you work.

You have constantly said in multiple posts that your employer is responsible for any crime you face while riding your 10 speed because you have no place to store your gun, then claim ignorance when asked about the lawsuit you would file against your employer because you were attacked and you were unarmed? You say you carry at work anyway without anyone knowing so what is the deal with not carrying on a bike and the lockbox?

As myself and others have said over and over until the law is changed you can do nothing more than moan and complain and post studies and statistics, that's it. Like I said run for office or find someone with your views, make sure not to tell them about the lockbox thing and how the employer is responsible when you ride your bike, they might drop you like a hot rock.

I cannot put the direct questions to you any plainer than what I have but you choose not to address them or reply with statements about gramatical errors when you have problems with the word "Brake and Break" so if that is the best you got go for it.

You have come up with some of the most ******* statements in your posts to avoid answering any direct questions put to you that tells me one thing, you are not being truthful in your statements. I truly hope you are a better soldier than you are at providing a convincing argument on the internet, if not you will be an E-5 POG for a long, long time. I wish you good luck with your kids and life I truly mean that because you are seriously gonna need all the luck you can get just to survive the daily grind.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Quite honestly I have and still do a lot of high risk activities. I have been to some of the worst places in the world and in the US. Sometimes I was alone in these places and not surrounded by a squad of folks. I have over 3000 jumps, 3 total malfunctions, 4 collisions with students, landed in cactus, narrowly missed getting hit by a corporate jet that did not see the NOTAM that we were jumping, 3 engine failures on take off in an OV-1D Mohawk, married to a half American Indian/half Puerto Rican wonderful girl who has a temper :) and you know what I am afraid of the most?

Idiot drivers that try to run me over every morning running. I swear, when I leave this earth it will be with tire marks on my chest from an oversized SUV driven by a single mom driving three kids to school while on a cell phone.
    NotMallNinja likes this.

ArmyMan,

Let me give you a case in point. Where I am stationed I cannot carry concealed on post and I cannot have a loaded weapon unless it is on the range or in my quarters. To carry concealed off post I have to have my weapon separated from my ammunition and the weapon must be openly displayed in the vehicle. When going off post I have to stop, get my ammunition, lock & load and then go about my business. When coming back on post I have to unload the weapon, display it openly, and store the ammunition away from the weapon. This keeps me "legal" with respect to being able to carry - provided I properly registered my weapons on post and carry a post-issued weapons permit (which I would need even if I were only to keep weapons in my quarters). I have a choice in these matters. I could choose to leave the military and gain employment with an employer more supportive of my desire to carry.

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Quite honestly I have and still do a lot of high risk activities. I have been to some of the worst places in the world and in the US. Sometimes I was alone in these places and not surrounded by a squad of folks. I have over 3000 jumps, 3 total malfunctions, 4 collisions with students, landed in cactus, narrowly missed getting hit by a corporate jet that did not see the NOTAM that we were jumping, 3 engine failures on take off in an OV-1D Mohawk, married to a half American Indian/half Puerto Rican wonderful girl who has a temper :) and you know what I am afraid of the most?

Idiot drivers that try to run me over every morning running. I swear, when I leave this earth it will be with tire marks on my chest from an oversized SUV driven by a single mom driving three kids to school while on a cell phone.
    ROFLMAO! I think I saw her on my way to work this morning. Thing is, she was also applying makeup with the other hand and driving with her knees on a 65mph highway.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

On post today my wife almost got run over by a mom (a Soldier's wife) driving an SUV while texting. She jumped the curb and my wife had to jump out ofher way. The lady did not stop but did manage to go to the clinic where she parked in a handicapped parking space. The police were called and she got a ticket for illegally parking in a handicapped parking space (about $130 ticket here). When she came out of the clinic she was followed by the police where they pulled her over to discuss the incident about jumping up the curb while driving and she ended up getting written up for another ticket. Hopefully she has now wracked up enough tickets to have her on-post driving privileges suspended for a year.

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyMan View Post
    My choice in mode of transportation is contributory, I don't deny that. My choice in mode of transportation is not arbitrary, however, whereas the employers choice to have a gun-free workplace is arbitrary.

That's the difference between each party's choice. One is necessary, the other is baseless preference.

If an employer requires a uniform, the employer should have to provide the uniform. Likewise if the employer wants to have a gun-free workplace, the employer should provide gun lockers.

That's the problem, thank you for restating it. Hopefully we can get that changed soon, there is certainly case law supporting the change.

As I said earlier, no, I don't feel safe at work, primarily because employers are allowed to abuse the Constitution and tell employees they can't even carry while off private property and off the clock.
    Weld a little lockbox onto your bike to secure your gun while at work. Problems solved.

I think ArmyMan might be Gecko45's more liberal little brother. Not as brave and manly,,,,, a little more Democratic in that "they" should "do for" him.

@Armyman...It would seem folks have given up, I for one have to agree with them.....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

VIP Member
    I am safe at work no worries!

I have a better chance of walking up on a black bear in my work parking lot than a disgruntled employee causing trouble in all reality.

You folks keep arguing against choice. When you do that, you invalidate all choices on the field. This includes any choice the employer made, such as having the no-gun policy, even the choice to be in business in the first place.

Since all property rights exist as an extension of the individual, trying to use property rights to cancel out an individual right undermines your own property rights. It is self defeating.

While you tire of banging your heads against the wall, we won't stop until the wall crumbles.
    Last edited by ArmyMan; August 21st, 2012 at 08:32 AM.

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Links