Do you feel safe at work?

This is a discussion on Do you feel safe at work? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I use to........ until I saw the company put up "no conceal carry" signs and all over head doors had metal sliding fences installed. Doors ...

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Do you feel safe at work?

I use to........ until I saw the company put up "no conceal carry" signs and all over head doors had metal sliding fences installed. Doors were reinforced... Turned out, some upper management people were being jerks to some employees. Those employees left and threatened (We don't know which employees made the threats) to one day come shoot up the place.. I tell my close co-workers all the time that if they see an ex-employee, run for the nearest exits.

seriously, some people at work are idiots. I planned on leaving whenever I find a new job. No, i won't put the company's name on here..
    Last edited by Rock and Glock; August 19th, 2012 at 11:46 AM.
    ArmyMan likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 02R1 View Post
    I use to........ until I saw the company put up "no conceal carry" signs and all over head doors had metal sliding fences installed. Doors were reinforced... Turned out, some upper management people were being jerks to some employees. Those employees left and threatened (We don't know which employees made the threats) to one day come shoot up the place.. I tell my close co-workers all the time that if they see an ex-employee, run for the nearest exits.

seriously, some people at work are idiots. I planned on leaving whenever I find a new job. No, i won't put the company's name on here..
    One of the NCOs in my platoon is also a policeman in my town. He got more than a bit hot and bothered when a buddy and I were talking about carrying guns in the civilian world, and I said "I feel safer here, in Afghanistan, then I do at home."

When something happens in-theater, you're armed, you're surrounded by friends who are also armed, and there's a plan already in place for most emergencies. No matter what happens, no one goes through anything alone.

When something happens at home, you may or may not be allowed to be armed, you're probably surrounded by strangers who shift into mob-mentality sheeple and panic, only 1/3rd of them are armed and of that 1/3rd who knows what % can actually use their weapon effectively, and it will take the cops hours to set up a plan.

I feel safer out on a build project in southern Gaznie Provence then I do walking to the store at home. In theater, there's safety in numbers, at home, I'm an individual.

Now, in my state, if I saw my boss post 'no firearms' signs, I would smirk and start looking for another place to work, all the while carrying anyway. My life is more important then his bottom line.
    Last edited by Rock and Glock; August 19th, 2012 at 11:46 AM.

I'd feel safer if I had a platoon of buddies with me, for sure, but I'd never get any work done and the break room would be crowded.

But overall I fell relatively safe at work. I work in a good area of town in a building with a security desk in the lobby, though (and no disgruntled ex-employees at present).
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

VIP Member
    Do I feel safe at work, yes. Of course I'm always armed as are 3 of the 4 owners of the company I work for.
    ArmyMan and pir8fan like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Multiple employees made threats to shoot up the place...not just one? Okee Dokee. But yes I feel safe at the workplace and I jump out of airplanes with untrained people. Just curiious for the folks that say they feel unsafe at work. Do you feel unsafe DRIVING to work? There is a whole much bigger chance getting killed driving to and from work than getting killed in workplace violence. So is eatiing that double cheeseburger (heart attack.stroke) at lunch everyday, going home and fixing that leak on the roof (falling accidents at home), or (and don't anybody get mad), shooting yourself or committing suicide. They are all way above in the list of things that have a chance of killing you than workplace violence.

I guess what I am saying is the world is a dangerous place. I don't walk around or do anything without a risk assessment and I certainly don't worry about anything or fret about stuff that much anymore. Life is too short to worry about things that are so remote they they will never or almost never happen to you.
    Last edited by Rock and Glock; August 19th, 2012 at 11:47 AM.

Generally yes. However, all the front end offices where I work are in one long corridor so exiting with an active shooter means breaking the window.

My place of work is an NPE anyway, so firearms are not allowed. It's been in the handbook since Day 1.

However, knives are allowed (tools of the trade) and I carry the biggest folder Cold Steel makes daily. I also have a smaller 'work knife'

Since it is a manufacturing facility, there are always various tools and sections of pipe, steel bars, etc. to arm oneself with.

Is there an armed guard? Just in case someone gets in and starts shooting. If someone gets in and people get shot, is the company going to be sued because they could not protects their people? Maybe Management would be up on mansaughter charges? After all they took on the responsibilty of saying no guns.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Manslaughter charges...pleezzz

... until I saw the company put up "no conceal carry" signs

Turned out, some upper management people were being jerks to some employees. Those employees left and threatened to one day come shoot up the place.
    Barring upstanding citizens from lawfully carrying won't stop the criminals from doing so. They'll likely not realize that. WE do.
    Last edited by Rock and Glock; August 19th, 2012 at 11:48 AM.
    ArmyMan likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Barring upstanding citizens from lawfully carrying won't stop the criminals from doing so. They'll likely not realize that. WE do.
    Private property owners don't care about facts. With them it's all emotional.
    Sky Pilot likes this.

ArmyMan and AZJD1968 like this.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Yep, that sums it up right there. Man, that sucks for ya.

To answer, yes I feel safe at work - I'm always carrying. Plus we generally work in good areas. I'm a sub contractor (a painter mostly) and unless we happen to be working on a job that doesn't allow firearms I'm always free to carry. I actually just let my boss in on the secret a week ago - his response was "great, I feel safer with somebody around me armed". He is the owner of the buisness. Sometimes I may not love my job but I do love how easy it is for me with my CC.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Quote Originally Posted by miller_man View Post
    Yep, that sums it up right there. Man, that sucks for ya.

To answer, yes I feel safe at work - I'm always carrying. Plus we generally work in good areas. I'm a sub contractor (a painter mostly) and unless we happen to be working on a job that doesn't allow firearms I'm always free to carry. I actually just let my boss in on the secret a week ago - his response was "great, I feel safer with somebody around me armed". He is the owner of the buisness. Sometimes I may not love my job but I do love how easy it is for me with my CC.
    I've never told a boss. How did you approach it?

Frankly, given some of the responses I've gotten on this forum, I'm surprised your boss didn't get all but-hurt and for being "sneaky" and fire you. It's good to know I'm not the only contractor out there carrying on the job.

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyMan View Post
    Private property owners don't care about facts. With them it's all emotional.
    Its there right to ban weapons, not only to the general public, but to there employees. You can argue until you are blue in the face, wont matter. It is what it is.

To the OP yea I feel safe at work, we only had one bomb threat this year, so we are doing ok......
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Links