On Medication, Okay to carry or shoot?

This is a discussion on On Medication, Okay to carry or shoot? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was doing some shooting the other day at a friend's range with him and a few other disabled veterans. This got me thinking about ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: On Medication, Okay to carry or shoot?

On Medication, Okay to carry or shoot?

I was doing some shooting the other day at a friend's range with him and a few other disabled veterans. This got me thinking about medications and how/if they could effect you in a good shoot. Say for example, you have back problems and happen to be prescribed pain killers does that mean you cannot carry? Will you be in deep doodoo if you are carrying and do have to defend yourself and you being on said medication comes to light?
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

2. Remove Ads

I would assume that any attorney (be it a prosecutor or an attorney for someone suing you) would discover that and do their ever-loving best to use it to make you look bad. Doesn't mean I wouldn't carry still.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

here we go again. sometime it is best to "don't ask"/don't tell" when it comes to doing personal things. be responable for your actions.
    ArmyMan likes this.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Senior Moderator
    Personally, if I were prescribed something and I wasn't sure how it would effect me mentally I would put the guns away for a day or two. Some of those drugs are very powerful things and can make for some weird consequences. Confusion, anxiousness, thoughts of suicide, uncharacteristic mood changes, all of these things and more would be things I'd look for and ask trusted family to look for as well. I would then go back to my doctor and ask for an adjustment to my meds.

There are many people who live out their lives and carry guns while taking medication. Could it be used against them? Sure. But if they have been on it for quite some time, okay'd by their doctors to drive, have been able to work and function in society then I don't see how it could be a problem.

If, however, they started taking a new drug without knowing how it would effect them and shot someone .. THEN I could see it being a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post
    I was doing some shooting the other day at a friend's range with him and a few other disabled veterans. This got me thinking about medications and how/if they could effect you in a good shoot. Say for example, you have back problems and happen to be prescribed pain killers does that mean you cannot carry? Will you be in deep doodoo if you are carrying and do have to defend yourself and you being on said medication comes to light?
    All of the PA laws I found, I'm sure I didn't find them all, regard driving or alcohol. it's a good question, though, because if you can't carry a gun, you probably shouldn't be driving, either.

The rule of thumb, I've found in my search, is to pay attention to the side effects of the medication. Generally speaking, if there's a warning against driving or using equipment, then don't carry a gun, either.

Of-course medication reactions, interactions and manifest side effects can very greatly from person to person, and over time, so the best advice is the generic standard "ask your doctor". Your doctor is familiar with you specifically and knows your medication history, and how you react to what.

Given how varying one person's reaction to the same medication, in the same dose, can very from another, base your judgement off of directly observing that person's behavior. If you feel you should call the police, be ready to give specific examples of their behavior.

I use pain meds every day,they have no effect on my decision making skills or driving.To be honest if I took enough to "kill" my pain I don't believe I would be in any shape to handle a firearm responsibly.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

There are a lot of people under the direct care of their doctors. If your not abusing a legally prescribed drug I see no issues.(as long as you know the affects of the meds) If you are abusing legal meds or using illegal drugs, good luck with that....
    Rotorblade likes this.

Just wanted to add that I'm not asking to turn anybody in or anything like that. I was just asking for myself and close friends/family who also need to take medication. It doesn't impair them nor I.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

In my State I believe that the prohibition to mixing firearms and drugs is being under the influence. Whether or not they are legally prescribed drugs, alcohol or illegal substances. If you are under the influence you are not supposed to drive or shoot. The whole key is are you under the influence or not.
    I know some people who, when taking the prescribed amount, of a drug are under the influence. In this case they would be in violation of the law if driving or shooting.

Michael

Depends on the state laws, but if it came down to a legal case the DA would be pushing it and the defense would be calling physicians as expert witnesses to determine if it was a legit prescription, you were at a therapeutic level (i.e. not abusing it) and whether or not that significantly impaired your judgement. In the end, it would come down to a decision of 12 people who were not smart enough to get out of jury duty.
    DoctorBob likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member
    Will depend on the laws of the state your carrying in. Will also depend on the DA who is looking at the shoot. If it is clearly a good shoot, it probably won't make a difference. If it is questionable, it could make a difference, or if the DA is out to make a name for himself, he will probably try and use it. As for civil liability, the bottom feeding, ambulance chaser will be all over it.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Like many I would use extreme caution mixing any mood or pain drug with firearms and self defense. I am not an attorney but you know plenty will use it to their advantage. Hope that is never needed and the pain ends soon. Then all is good.

At least you didn't ask about guns while on antipsychotics!! Phew.
    It's not a problem til they make it one!

It doesn't have to be "pain meds." For a short period, I was on high dose predisone. I can't take that stuff, it's now on my list of allergies.
    DoctorBob likes this.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

In MT "under the influence" means any mind-altering substance, legal or not. Prescription pain meds DO fall under that. And that's something I heard straight from the horse's mouth (county attorney).

GH
    If I was taking any mind-altering prescription drugs or drugs that affected my vision or perspectives I'd leave the gun at home. Of course I wouldn't be driving either. Drugs affect different people different ways. Some can take drugs with no affect whatsoever while making others into drooling catatonic zombies.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links