Respecting the homes of others?

Respecting the homes of others?

This is a discussion on Respecting the homes of others? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello all, I recently received my CCW permit and now carry full time. How do you handle visiting friends or relatives who may be uncomfortable ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Respecting the homes of others?

Question Respecting the homes of others?

Hello all,

I recently received my CCW permit and now carry full time. How do you handle visiting friends or relatives who may be uncomfortable with your gun in their house.

Do you get permission from them? Do you just hope no one ever finds out? I know at relatives houses a lot of hugging goes on. It's just a matter of time before someone hugs the wrong spot.

I have been locking my pistol in my truck when visiting out of respect for what I think are the views of my hosts. Should I just sit them down and explain my pistol is much safer in my holster in their house than it will ever be in my truck?

How have others handled this?
    Just a note: I flat out refuse to carry in church.

Thanks

I generally carry and if someone thorws a fit and its a friend i just wont go back family well all mine are ok with it so cant say there

Well like a friend of mine says, concealed is concealed. when they go to hug, just put your arm over the grip and the other person will go high and not find it.
    Last edited by dpesec; September 23rd, 2006 at 10:31 PM.
    Dave

“The highest obligation and privilege of citizenship is that of bearing arms”. General George Patton—US Army

Vis et Veneratio

"So this is how democracy dies: to thunderous applause." Actress Natalie Portman as Padme in Star Wars Revenge of the Sith

Don't ask don't tell if they find out and do not want it in thier house then go somewhere else don't aruge just leave chances are you get a chance to talk about it later when they come back and say I didn't want the gun in my house I didn't mean you.

Assistant Administrator
    ratman, Hi

Where we choose to (legally) carry is something we all have to decide for ourselves, decorum, conscience etc. I personally carry 100% legally in all places possible, which means pretty much 16/7.

My view on other's homes is, that they have every right to debar guns if they wish and we have to respect that - however absurd it may seem. I do tho have this little saying - ''Trust me - trust my gun''.

By that I mean, if someone does not want me there with a gun then ergo they cannot trust me. I will of course repect their wishes and probably not be returning. Those close to me - family, friends have no problem fortunately.

In some instances - like one (and only) visit to a home where no statement has been made re carry - then, well - concealed is concealed'' as we say so often
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I have two sets of inlaws (my wifes parrents were divorced). The one set is fine with it the other told my wife (not me the cowards) they didn't want me CCW at thier home. We haven't been in thier home since coincidenly. They are big anti's and I will not carry at thier house since they asked, but if they ever make an issue about it I'll turn the tables and tell them they can't come in my home without a weapon. It'll probably turn into a big stink but I don't care for them anyway. ;)
    There are over 550 million firearms in worldwide circulation. That's one firearm for every twelve people on the planet. The only question is: How do we arm the other 11? (Yuri Orlov [Nicolas Cage] Lord of War)

Welcome...and...Don't Ask & Don't Tell...

even if I know someone is 'pro-gun'...I don't say anything. Concealed is concealed. Many of my family members know or have a good idea that I like weapons. I have never allowed it to become a topic of conversation...once at Christmas, a year or two ago, we were watching 50 year old 8mm reels. As a nine or ten year old, I was in the film with my trusty air rifle...everyone laughed out loud ("Look at Kenny...my real handle...he had guns even back then...it WAS a hoot.) They had no idea just how close they all were to my weapon.

I just wouldn't let it become a topic...it will only be a secret in your family...if you only tell a very trusted relative (and then you have to k*** 'em...kidding, of course)...if you discuss it with one...ALL will know!

Welcome from Central Florida!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Don't make it an issue...the only person who should know/care you carry is you. If you let others know, *then* it becomes a problem.

Don't start making a whole new set of rules with friends and family--because they shoudn't know you carry. Only carry where it is prohibited by law...if you make it an issue, it will appear you are showing off...or waaay too worried about carrying.

I'm sure friends of mine wouldn't be keen on me carrying in their house--but i haven't asked...and I won't tell. If asked directly, I will not answer, or give a non-answer. If they suddenly draw a line in the sand (hypothetically, if my spouse were to say something)(she won't, of course), I will miss visiting them...they can see me anytime at my house.

Don't make it an issue.

What they don't know won't hurt them, right?
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by ratman57 View Post
    I recently received my CCW permit and now carry full time. How do you handle visiting friends or relatives who may be uncomfortable with your gun in their house.
    My carrying is my business. It's concealed and shouldn't become a question. If it does, I'd certainly let the situation cool a bit, then discuss. I go armed. Period. Close friends might understand. Many (most?) probably won't, feeling offended. That's okay. They'd be entitled. Property rights are very important. It's their homes, we're talking about. If asked, I'll leave. But, I won't go asking everyone for permission. And I'll continue to carry. That's part of the "deal" with this CHL/CCW business. At least, IMO.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; September 24th, 2006 at 01:34 AM. Reason: spelling challenged
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

SIGguy229 hits it right on th head. I go everywhere and most of the time my wife doesn't even know I'm carrying why should others. BTW, How is it that they all know you are carrying anyways. Guard your hugs and keep it concealed. We don't carry to be "cool" or in the spotlight. Nobody should know you are carrying, If they do there is something seriously wrong.
    George Washington: "A free people ought to be armed."

Well, here's my situation, and how I handle it.

My In-laws are the only family I visit. I know, that they are super-libs. I've heard before, from them, how scared they are for my kids, because I have a few guns.

I am well aware, that they are uncomfortable with firearms, and wouldn't want one in thier house.

My wife and I always carry there, mostly because of an undesirable siblings boyfriend/'babys daddy' that lives there....

Will continue to do so, too, until explicitly told not to. At that time, we plan to stop visiting.

The rest of the family could care less....

...That is, 'cept my mother.... Odd, she didn't care, and was amused, that I carry. When I told her my wife got her license too, it was "OH MY GOODNESS WHY!?!?!??!" "WHY WOULD SHE NEED THAT?!?!!?!"

Anyhow, when it comes to family, I'd stick to 'concealed is concealed', so long as they haven't openly told you they don't want guns there, or, for whatever reason, their residence is posted....
    Where's the best place to apply for your Ohio CHL?
    Find out at http://ccwhen.com! (Now with Chat!)

Единственная реальная власть приходит из длинней винтовки.

Quote Originally Posted by cpmiv View Post
    I have two sets of inlaws (my wifes parrents were divorced). The one set is fine with it the other told my wife (not me the cowards) they didn't want me CCW at thier home. We haven't been in thier home since coincidenly. They are big anti's and I will not carry at thier house since they asked, but if they ever make an issue about it I'll turn the tables and tell them they can't come in my home without a weapon. It'll probably turn into a big stink but I don't care for them anyway. ;)
    THAT, Sir, is freaking BRILLIANT!!!!

Thank you for that, I'll be using that on my inlaws, if they use the 'no guns' thing on me....

Thanks again! :)
    Where's the best place to apply for your Ohio CHL?
    Find out at http://ccwhen.com! (Now with Chat!)

Единственная реальная власть приходит из длинней винтовки.

Concealed is concealed.

With that out of the way, I will not visit a home where my weapon is not welcome. However, I currently don't know anybody whose home does not welcome my weapons, so we're all good.
    I'll take a .45 and a large side of JHPs, please.

Welcome to the forum!
    I noticed you pointed out that you just started carrying. When I started carrying I thought everyone knew I had a gun, or was at least wondering. The truth is, I don't think most people even consider that you might be armed. The more you carry, the better you will get at hiding it.
    As far as huging goes, I always lean in a little with the weak side and move my strong side arm in the way.
    I don't have any friends that care if I carry or not. I lucked out with my girlfriends family; they are even more rednecky than me ( I mean that in the nicest possible way).
    I've only ever had one person who knew I carried ask me point blank one day "are you carrying right now?". It was more out of curiosity than anything else, and I was able to educate him a little bit about guns.
    I would never carry somewhere I had been asked not to, but it hasn't been a problem yet.
    Two of my favorite responses:
    "What is it about gun control laws that makes you feel safe?"
    "For the same reason I always wear my seatbelt."

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links