Knowing your enemy.

Knowing your enemy.

This is a discussion on Knowing your enemy. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Tacman and I have talked at length about knowing the criminal mind. What they are about, and how we would defend against them. I found ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Knowing your enemy.

Knowing your enemy.

Tacman and I have talked at length about knowing the criminal mind. What they are about, and how we would defend against them. I found this write up about that very thing. I think the author brings up some very good points.

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/ccm...ns-they-carry/
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Good reading Harry- Thanks for posting

VIP Member
    interesting read, and not to long I may add. thanks

VIP Member
    I brought up a while back, that most of the street-thugs that I've encountered seemed woefully incompetent, had no firearms training and had sub-standard equipment. My point was that I would almost feel sorry for them, if they were to confront one of the more prepared members here.

Gman countered that I was not taking into consideration the lack of thought & reasoning ability that also is an attribute of these vermin. The senseless viciousness that many are capable of, with no thought of consequence.

I think his point is valid. Many of us cannot fathom the inner working (or lack thereof) of the street-thug variety of the criminal mind.

Good read. Just hope folks don't get carried away with stats. I have seen folks here before say that they would risk taking a gun away from somebody if they had the drop on them based on the fact that a study showed x percent were not loaded or would not fire. Dumb way to use a stat IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    I brought up a while back, that most of the street-thugs that I've encountered seemed woefully incompetent, had no firearms training and had sub-standard equipment. My point was that I would almost feel sorry for them, if they were to confront one of the more prepared members here.

Gman countered that I was not taking into consideration the lack of thought & reasoning ability that also is an attribute of these vermin. The senseless viciousness that many are capable of, with no thought of consequence.

I think his point is valid. Many of us cannot fathom the inner working (or lack thereof) of the street-thug variety of the criminal mind.
    That is the other side of the coin. Some criminals as the author described couldn't fight there way out of a paper bag, then we have what you described, the criminal that doesn't give a hoot about your life. I personally believe that we should look into this further. Maybe asking ourselves, what kind of criminal would I be?

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

i find it humorous that the "Taurus on the bottom" is one of the nicer guns...

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Good read. Just hope folks don't get carried away with stats. I have seen folks here before say that they would risk taking a gun away from somebody if they had the drop on them based on the fact that a study showed x percent were not loaded or would not fire. Dumb way to use a stat IMO.
    And violates a cardinal rule of gun handling.

Interesting read. I wish there was a good study on criminal behavior; body launguage, eye contact, etc...
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

http://www.appleseedinfo.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    That is the other side of the coin. Some criminals as the author described couldn't fight there way out of a paper bag, then we have what you described, the criminal that doesn't give a hoot about your life. I personally believe that we should look into this further. Maybe asking ourselves, what kind of criminal would I be?
    Just by that acknowledgement, or thought of " what kind of criminal would I be" leaves you with nothing but a false perception. Criminals live a hand to mouth existence, at least the typical street thug most commonly encountered. They are " concrete thinkers" and cannot reason out their actions to a logical end. This alone makes them dangerous. Of course they dont give a hoot about your life, they are incapable of this thought process.
    They are very instinct driven. They see something they want, so they attempt to take. About 99.9% come from broken and dysfunctional families, mostly without a father figure. They become out of control at an early age, and have no sense of acceptable behavior either socially, or morally.

They view themselves as the victim of society, oppressed and left at no other choice but to " get theirs". And I have heard the " I am going to get mine" phrase over and over.
    To them this is absolutely acceptable.

The best way to understand the criminal you are most likely to encounter, is to think of them as an animal. Void of any reasoning skill, and driven only by their instinct to take what they want, void of any insight to the eventual outcome of their actions. Then treat them as such, by putting them down like the rabid beasts they have become.

You will not see the smart criminal. He will not see anytime in jail, and he will probably never be a direct threat to you or anyone you know. But he is using the ones listed above to do the work, by manipulating them thru their own ignorance and carnal minds.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by mano3 View Post
    Interesting read. I wish there was a good study on criminal behavior; body launguage, eye contact, etc...
    Drive through any really bad area and watch how everyone watches you. They are always checking you out. Always suspicious and trying to determine if you are predator or prey.
    Eye contact, depending on their pecking order can be considered a challenge. Body posture, is usually slumped shoulders, lackadaisical direction of movement, and head constantly looking from back to front.
    mano3 and atctimmy like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Very much in aggreance with aspects of the article and Glockman. Criminality in many forms and specifically the dangerous kind has some element of psychopathy. I am not talking about (most) pick pockets or scam artists, but violent criminals who think nothing of harming another human being. A post the other day a out dogs breaking in and stealing food reminded me. The sociopathic individuals live in a different world in which laws of nature, not laws OG man dictate their action. It is primal, carnal, and dangerous.

Think about what it will take for us go draw on someone: "the gravest extreme". We discuss and wrestle with this decision and even may feel guilt afterwards. Look at how violent criminals react, no emotion, care or worry. That right there is sociopathic behavior. Scary stuff and while we all need to protect ourselves, and "keep ours".

Thanks for posting HB.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Ummmmmm... Ahhhhhhhh ... Uhhhhhhhh....

A nice artical... but maybe the firearms siezed, and the competence of the criminal are attached to the location this study took place.

My experience is quite different. Most criminals want nothing to do with a gun. Those who do, tend to be somewhat professional about it. Just because your attacker has a cheap, or malfunctioning gun... You won't be any less dead, or injured by it than if it was a nice one like yours. Dead from a lorcin is exactly the same as dead from a wilson combat 1911. I remember a homicide on the Brooklyn Bridge where a guy was set upon by two robbers armed with a cheap revolver that wouldnt revolve. He restisted until the tried to shoot him. The shooter had to keep turning the cylinder until he got a round to fire. Shot the victim in the back as he ran away. This was around 1972, the victim is still dead today.

Often those criminals who use gun's are as much avid gun enthusiasts as anyone here. I once served a warrant on the home of a wanted armed robber. Two things I noticed... he had about 200 pair of sneakers, and three four foot stacks of gun magazines. Yep he was a fan of Masad Ayoob, and all the others. To assume that a criminal is lesser skilled than you or that his firearm is not to be taken as seriously as yours would be a mistake... maybe your last.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Just by that acknowledgement, or thought of " what kind of criminal would I be" leaves you with nothing but a false perception. Criminals live a hand to mouth existence, at least the typical street thug most commonly encountered. They are " concrete thinkers" and cannot reason out their actions to a logical end. This alone makes them dangerous. Of course they dont give a hoot about your life, they are incapable of this thought process.
    They are very instinct driven. They see something they want, so they attempt to take. About 99.9% come from broken and dysfunctional families, mostly without a father figure. They become out of control at an early age, and have no sense of acceptable behavior either socially, or morally.

They view themselves as the victim of society, oppressed and left at no other choice but to " get theirs". And I have heard the " I am going to get mine" phrase over and over.
    To them this is absolutely acceptable.

The best way to understand the criminal you are most likely to encounter, is to think of them as an animal. Void of any reasoning skill, and driven only by their instinct to take what they want, void of any insight to the eventual outcome of their actions. Then treat them as such, by putting them down like the rabid beasts they have become.

You will not see the smart criminal. He will not see anytime in jail, and he will probably never be a direct threat to you or anyone you know. But he is using the ones listed above to do the work, by manipulating them thru their own ignorance and carnal minds.
    Good post. Cant argue with you logic. For some it is a false sense of perception. That is why I wanted to share the article and start the discussion. I think there is some insight into the criminal mind, actions and so forth that need to be brought to the fore front of our thinking. These are the animals that we are going to have to deal with. Understanding that they do not care, cannot reason and are driven by a false sense of what the world is all about is a good start. That is the reason I asked the question.
    oneshot likes this.

I read that article. IMHO situation awareness and always armed with a gun you practice with every week or two are the most important considerations. I would never consider the high percentage of armed criminals whose gun may not work. We will never know the exact situation that we may face but a couple seconds of situation awareness head start will certainly help. Face the door or an outside window if possible. I have asked my spouse to change seats with me so I can better see. She also has a CCW and understands. I am not paranoid but practice every week so if the badness happens, I have a good chance of killing hits. Our poor zombies really catch it a hundred or more times a week.
    Retired AF pilot, Vietnam FAC 1967-68

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links