Tips for making sure you close and lock your safe?

This is a discussion on Tips for making sure you close and lock your safe? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm relatively new to every day carry, but I'm worried every day that I'm going to accidentally leave my safe unlocked when I put on ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Tips for making sure you close and lock your safe?

Tips for making sure you close and lock your safe?

I'm relatively new to every day carry, but I'm worried every day that I'm going to accidentally leave my safe unlocked when I put on my sidearm. As a result, I tend to check it, and double check it, and triple check it... and frankly, it's annoying. Do any of you have any tips or suggestions to prevent this? Any mantras you have memorized or anything? Mine is a small Gunsafe. So the door doesn't shut automatically.

(My main concern is that I don't want to leave my safe unlocked in case children should find it.)

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    The safe I use most often is in a closet, attached to the wall.

If my safe is open, I leave the closet door open. If the safe is closed, then the closet door is closed.

That way if I'm going out and see the closet door is open..................

Well, you get the picture.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Just have to make it part of the routine, like putting on pants.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

I have a complicated procedure I use.

1) Shut the door
    2) Lock the Door
    3) See if the door opens. If it does repeat steps 1-3.
    4) Go about my day
    ArmyMan and Cold Shot like this.

VIP Member
    You might install a small light with a contact switch to turn it on and off. with the door open the light is on, close the door and the light goes off.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

You may want to consider a lock box for your nightstand. That is where my EDC sleeps when I'm not carrying. It's not fort knox type security but it keeps small fingers off of the gun in the mddle of the night. During the day it's on my hip.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bardo View Post
    I'm relatively new to every day carry, but I'm worried every day that I'm going to accidentally leave my safe unlocked when I put on my sidearm. As a result, I tend to check it, and double check it, and triple check it... and frankly, it's annoying. Do any of you have any tips or suggestions to prevent this? Any mantras you have memorized or anything? Mine is a small Gunsafe. So the door doesn't shut automatically.

(My main concern is that I don't want to leave my safe unlocked in case children should find it.)
    Relax. Being OCD is a good habit with firearms. Make sure you triple check that the gun is clear while you are at it.

Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    Relax. Being OCD is a good habit with firearms. Make sure you triple check that the gun is clear while you are at it.
    Too true
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Of the safes I have (mainly GunVault finger type, but few lock combos), I check it three times when I add or remove a firearm. The GunVault series are nice for this cause you can just tap the door three times.

As important, I never leave the room for a second if the safes are open. This is where folks get side tracked and open safes are a problem. I catch myself occasionally thinking "oh, i'll just run and get this or that from another room".

Another consideration is layered safety or using layers as visual queues (like someone already mentioned). If I walk by my nightstand and the large drawer is open I panic. It needs to be closed, as does the safe in it :)

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bardo View Post

Seems to me that by your description you're worrying about leaving a empty safe unlocked?

I never swing the door closed without rotating the handle. Its either closed and locked or wide ass open. I forgot to rotate the handle to lock the bolts one time, and when I got home from hunting I touched the handle and the door moved. My heart stopped beating. I swung the door open and the safe was still full. I got away with it once and felt so lucky , so thats why I leave the door wide open if its unlocked now.
    donzz likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Only you know for sure, but I would suggest that it is not the double and triple checking that is annoying you but that you are not certain that you locked the safe. Do you have this same uncertainty about having locked the house after you've gone? What about car doors? That comes from one or two things: not having an invariable routine, or not truly paying attention to what you are doing. Make it a habit to focus on the task you are currently engaged in, and establish a rigid routine that covers all the needed tasks in the proper order. Use a checklist if you must, in fact, write it down as a checklist anyway. It will help you establish the order and memorization. Also, it can be invaluable in times of high stress such as having to rush someone off to the doctor, etc. It works for pilots. The safe remains closed and locked unless removing or returning a firearm. Do you check doors and windows when about to leave the house? Include the safe in your routine.

The fact is, we all forget things occasionally. The established, grooved-in, habitual routine is what helps protect us from our mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    Seems to me that by your description you're worrying about leaving a empty safe unlocked?
    No, I leave my range pistol in it.

A couple of phone calls from a wife that is not too happy finding your safe open in the closet will make you remember to triple check everyday!😄

Part of a routine...

The last thing I always do prior to leaving the house is lock my safe, and the first thing I do when entering the house is unlock the safe...no guessing involved!
    DanielC likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links