Definition please: Intend to go armed

This is a discussion on Definition please: Intend to go armed within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm trying to figure out the local laws regarding vehicle carry when on school property (non-student) and there is this: " 39-17-1309. Carrying weapons on ...

Thread: Definition please: Intend to go armed

I'm trying to figure out the local laws regarding vehicle carry when on school property (non-student) and there is this:

"39-17-1309. Carrying weapons on school property.
    (b) (1) It is an offense for any person to possess or carry, whether openly or concealed, with the intent to go armed, any firearm, explosive, explosive weapon, bowie knife, hawk bill knife, ice pick, dagger, slingshot, leaded cane, switchblade knife, blackjack, knuckles or any other weapon of like kind, not used solely for instructional or school-sanctioned ceremonial purposes, in any public or private school building or bus, on any public or private school campus, grounds, recreation area, athletic field or any other property owned, used or operated by any board of education, school, college or university board of trustees, regents or directors for the administration of any public or private educational institution.

(c) (1) It is an offense for any person to possess or carry, whether openly or concealed, any firearm, not used solely for instructional or school-sanctioned ceremonial purposes, in any public or private school building or bus, on any public or private school campus, grounds, recreation area, athletic field or any other property owned, used or operated by any board of education, school, college or university board of trustees, regents or directors for the administration of any public or private educational institution. It is not an offense under this subsection (c) for a nonstudent adult to possess a firearm, if the firearm is contained within a private vehicle operated by the adult and is not handled by the adult, or by any other person acting with the expressed or implied consent of the adult, while the vehicle is on school property"

So what does "intend to go armed" mean? Can I as a nonstudent adult carry a firearm locked and unloaded in my vehicle lockbox and have the mags in the trunk?
    Sig P250 .45 Subcompact
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose,
    is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound. ~ L. Neil Smith

Anybody???
    Sig P250 .45 Subcompact
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose,
    is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound. ~ L. Neil Smith

IANAL. But it seems to clearly mean: it's unlawful to intentionally be armed while on school grounds, with the exception of school-sanctioned and approved ceremonies.

Being armed is, obviously, having a weapon on you. Intending to go to the school while armed is just that.

That statute doesn't mention pocket knives or OC/CS/PS, so unless some other statute in your state precludes one of those, that sounds like it'll be your only weapon option on school grounds.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I'm not a lawyer,but it looks to me like you can leave it locked in your car while on school property from what it says in the last paragraph.
    Retired (traveling and loving it!)
    Member NRA
    Served in U.S.A.F.(jet engine mechanic)
    Kel-Tec P3AT
    Don't Leave Home Without It!

Quote Originally Posted by Macantic View Post
    I'm not a lawyer,but it looks to me like you can leave it locked in your car while on school property from what it says in the last paragraph.
    ... or, have it in the car with you, so long as it's not on you ("is not handled by the adult, or by any other person"). Though, whether that allows for carrying in a holster so long as you don't "handle" it isn't crystal clear. Unless you're willing to be a test case, I'd say Macantic's reading is correct: lock it up in the car and you should be fine.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    My take is that as long as the weapon remains in the vehicle your good. The way the last part reads, if you have the gun on you and remove it while on school property, you are in violation of the law, gun must be removed and stored prior to entering school property. IANAL so take it for what it's worth.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I'm thinking the "with the intent to go armed" part is to keep kids from being expelled for bringing a fork or plastic knife to school in their lunchbox, as kids have been.

I totally understand that you guys are not lawyers. I just figured somebody might be a little more ventured in interpreting these things or has heard about a definition or expression previously.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    That statute doesn't mention pocket knives or OC/CS/PS, so unless some other statute in your state precludes one of those, that sounds like it'll be your only weapon option on school grounds.
    Yeah, knives and tasers are forbidden in the school rule book. I think pepper spray is the only thing that is not, but with my luck I'll just spray myself. I have just very recently started to learn some Krav Maga. It's not a bad campus at all, but better safe than sorry as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    My take is that as long as the weapon remains in the vehicle your good. The way the last part reads, if you have the gun on you and remove it while on school property, you are in violation of the law, gun must be removed and stored prior to entering school property. IANAL so take it for what it's worth.
    That's what I indended to do, leave it locked in the car. I wouldn't carry it on me on campus or while in the car and still on campus, but I really want to have it when I need to stop anywhere on the way home.
    Sig P250 .45 Subcompact

Links