Shoulder Holster: Under Armor OR Miami Classic 2

This is a discussion on Shoulder Holster: Under Armor OR Miami Classic 2 within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have decided that I want a shoulder holster. It is starting to get cooler here in PA and I have a minor birth defect ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shoulder Holster: Under Armor OR Miami Classic 2

Shoulder Holster: Under Armor OR Miami Classic 2

I have decided that I want a shoulder holster. It is starting to get cooler here in PA and I have a minor birth defect with my lower back that is usually manageable, but carrying a gun in or on my waste-band can irritate it after a few hours.

I have narrowed my options down to the Under Armor rig from High Noon, or the Miami Classic 2 from Galco. I was looking for some opinions on people who own either of these two holsters, especially the Under Armor. I have done many searches on here and found that the Miami Classic is well liked, but I have not heard much about the Under Armor.

The differences as I see them are that the holster is molded on the Miami Classic 2. I am not sure if that is a major advantage since there is a thumb-break. The spare magazine position is better on the Under Armor, in my opinion. I think vertical is better for concealment and for accessibility.

I realize there are many other brands and types of shoulder holsters. I am really only interested in information on these two. If you have an insight I would truly appreciate it.

By the way, I will be concealing a Glock 19 in this rig if that makes any difference.

Mike
    Fear the man with one gun. Especially if that gun is a Glock 19.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I have the Under Armor, at a 100 bucks less it would be my choice.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

I like (cool weather) shoulder holster carry with my G19. Prefer horizontal spare mag to vertical. My left wrist "likes" the angle better at reload. No thumb break on my holster. I tend to fumble things during a massive adrenaline dump.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    I like (cool weather) shoulder holster carry with my G19. Prefer horizontal spare mag to vertical. My left wrist "likes" the angle better at reload. No thumb break on my holster. I tend to fumble things during a massive adrenaline dump.
    What kind of shoulder holster do you have without a thumb break? All of the ones I have seen use one. Do you feel like the gun is still totally secure even if you bend over? This has me interested.

I carried a Galco Jackass rig for years with an H&K USP/C and a P2000. My Glock 23 fits the same rig. It is very comfortable and allows my to carry 2 extra mags with ease. It is not a speed rig, I usually also carry a BUG IWB.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

I've been carrying my G26 in a galco classic light for about 2 weeks now. After the plastic bag break in period, I gotta say. Shoulder rigs are awesome.
    I just put it on over a T-shirt and then put on a dark button up over the top. LOVE IT
    SA MC Operator
    Kimber Ultra CDP II
    G26
    Sig P238

I looked pretty hard at the classic light, but I decided I wanted something in black. With the Glock being black I thought the whole thing would conceal better. The classic light looks very comfortable though. It is made out of suede, right?

Quote Originally Posted by kapnketel View Post
    I have the Under Armor, at a 100 bucks less it would be my choice.
    How do you feel the under armor conceals? Pretty easily under an open button down shirt or a jacket?

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    It conceals fine, I wear it in winter months when my normal everyday dress is the t-shirt and unbuttoned flannel shirt. No problem with a jacket or sport coat. Make sure you order the tie downs, they are extra and pretty essential to keep things from moving around. It takes a little adjusting but after it breaks in its good to go. I have two holsters for two different firearms, switch out is pretty simple. I did find that the screws tend to back out at the connection between the tie downs and holster, I lost one and High Noon sent me several gratis. Loctite solved the problem.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Miami Classic II for me and my G23.
    Bought mine used like new for $75. I ended up getting the tie down set for it new however.

Quote Originally Posted by RugerMike View Post
    What kind of shoulder holster do you have without a thumb break? All of the ones I have seen use one. Do you feel like the gun is still totally secure even if you bend over? This has me interested.
    I have a Blackhawk shoulder harness with a Blackhawk Serpa holster platform under my left arm and a two mag horizontal pouch under my right. No thumb break on the holster, just the standard Serpa index finger release. Yeah, it's totally secure.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Good to know that the tie downs are essential. I will also remember that tip with loctite on the screws. I appreciate the info. I am definitely leaning toward the Under Armor at this point.

kapnketel,

One last question. How is the draw? I would assume it is pretty smooth since the holster is not molded to the pistol. I am looking at this as a plus right now. It looks like the pistol should slide out easily once you hit the thumb break.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    I have a Blackhawk shoulder harness with a Blackhawk Serpa holster platform under my left arm and a two mag horizontal pouch under my right. No thumb break on the holster, just the standard Serpa index finger release. Yeah, it's totally secure.
    I have seen those. I figured that was the one you had when you said there was no thumb break. I do have a Serpa holster for rare instances of open carry, but I am looking for something in leather.

Understand wanting leather completely. But I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to re-holster with a Serpa shoulder rig.

VIP Member
    I have 2 Under Takers - the full leather version from High Noon. I do not need the tie down straps for mine - G30 & Taurus PT145 Pro. Both conceal very well and are quite comfortable. The lock-tite tip is a must - just don't over do it and make a mess. I partially screwed in the screws and then put the lock-tite in from the back side and finished screwing in the screws - worked fine.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links