Govenor of Indiana supports the 2A!

This is a discussion on Govenor of Indiana supports the 2A! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; From the WTHR website: Daniels supports handguns in parks rule change Sep 22, 2006 04:36 PM Governor Mitch Daniels supports the Department of Natural Resources ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Govenor of Indiana supports the 2A!

From the WTHR website:

Daniels supports handguns in parks rule change

Sep 22, 2006 04:36 PM
    Governor Mitch Daniels supports the Department of Natural Resources decision to allow handguns in Indiana's state parks. The rule change announced Thursday eliminates the restriction against handguns.

Hunters and other visitors with valid gun licenses to carry them on DNR properties. Daniels says he believes in the Bill of Rights and the second amendment right to bear arms.

"The right of licensed and law abiding citizens that exists everywhere else, I don't think they should forfeit it when they come to a state park," said Daniels.

Daniels is scheduled to speak Friday to a statewide meeting of the National Rifle Association. The timing of the rule change is a coincidence, Daniels said.
    Sounds like the Govenor of Indiana is a good guy. Makes me proud to have been born and raised in the Hoosier state! I sometimes think about moving my family back there, it's a great place to raise kids, especially the little town I'm from. Looks like Mayberry.

http://www.wthr.com/Global/story.asp?S=5446646
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

now we just need to get this going here in tn huh pt-111

We need more governors like him

It is refreshing to hear a state governor say something positive about the Second Amendment and take action on that basis. I wish all governors were like this.

That is really forward thinking. I sure hope it catches on in NC.
    Walk steathly - and carry a big Springfield.

OD*
    I'll finally be legal.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

yes, the governor is a pretty good guy. there are some issues that most people don't agree with him on, but overall he's trying to move us forward while still protecting our Constitutional rights.

btw PT, what little town are you from if you don't mind me asking?

My wife and I got our life time permits last week!

Way to go Gov Daniels.

Now I hope more states follow suit.

BTW, the application process was about as easy as renewing a drivers license. There were no questions about why I needed it, just the usual name, address, prints, etc.
    Last edited by 1911-Neil; September 24th, 2006 at 01:01 PM.

An excellent forward movement. Thanks for the thread as it's good info too for those of us that travel to IN (with recip)occasionally.

OD*
    There were no questions about why I needed it,
    We are a "shall issue" state, no reason is necessary by law.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

PT-111, When you go back home to Mayberry, do you carry your gun empty with one round on your belt like Deputy Barney Fife?

Thumbs up Mitch

As long as Mitch is governor, the state of Indiana will live with it's means.
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

Gov.Jeb Bush

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    It is refreshing to hear a state governor say something positive about the Second Amendment and take action on that basis. I wish all governors were like this.
    Jeb has a similar attitude.During a speech a few weeks ago,he gave credit to CCW permit holders as being instrumental in lowering Florida's violent crime rate to the lowest levels since the early 1970's.
    Unfortunately he's term limited and Floridians can only hope Republican Charlie Crist will be elected his successor in November.
    Last edited by TheDuke; September 24th, 2006 at 11:22 PM. Reason: wrong spelling

Palmgopher, I agree! If the law here in Tennessee could be changed to follow the Indiana law, things here would be better too.

TN has some really stupid gun laws that I just can not figure out sometimes.

And NO, jofrdo, I carry a fully loaded Springfield XD .40sc with a 12 round magazine and 2 9 round back up mags when I go to my home town, or anywhere else for that matter.

Sure do miss Cloverdale though. A very nice little town.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

CLOVERDALE!! I live in Reelsville (well out in the suburbs of Reelsville ) and was born and raised in Brazil. It's great to see another Putnam County man. It is also great that they finally got rid of that stupid state park rule. Not that I have ever carried at McCormicks Creek before

Thumbs up IN DNR announcement

Just got this bulletin from the Indiana Department of Natural Resources today:

Hoosiers with valid handgun licenses are now allowed to carry those firearms when under DNR jurisdiction, effective immediately, as the result of four temporary rule modifications signed by Director Kyle Hupfer.

“This corrects an inconsistency with DNR rules and the law of the land almost everywhere else in Indiana,” Hupfer said. “I appreciate the Governor’s support to bring this in line with statewide gun policy.”

“These changes, which we hope become permanent, make it clear to everyone that nothing in DNR rules should restrict law-abiding citizens who have met all legal requirements and obtained a valid handgun license from exercising their constitutional rights,” Hupfer said.

Specifically, the first change allows handgun-licensed individuals on DNR properties to carry a handgun. The other three changes involve hunting activities on both private and public land. Those with handgun licenses will now be able to carry such firearms when hunting wild turkeys or when hunting deer with a bow and arrow. Similarly, handgun-licensed individuals will be able to carry a handgun when running dogs for opossum and raccoon during chasing season. Previously, DNR rules prohibited carrying licensed handguns in these instances.

“There is no reason that law-abiding citizens should lose a means of personal protection and the protection of their family solely because they choose to hunt or visit a DNR property.”

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links